No kills today... yet.

Upcoming Events

- Weekly DarkSpace
05/04/24 +18.4 Hours

Search

Anniversaries

No anniversaries today.

Social Media

Why not join us on Discord for a chat, or follow us on Twitter or Facebook for more information and fan updates?

Network

DarkSpace
DarkSpace - Beta
Palestar

[FAQ
Forum Index » » Developer Feedback » » [SUGGESTION] weapon layouts.
 Author [SUGGESTION] weapon layouts.
Leonide
Grand Admiral
Templar Knights

Posted: 2009-04-18 13:54   
i formally suggest the following to the developers.

how about removing levels from weapons? keep levels for engines, jump drives, and Electronic Warfare devices, but remove levels from weapons for the sake of balance between the ship hulls? keep the same exact layouts we have now, just remove the cannons/missiles/lasers/torpedoes levels. instead of levels, have a light and a heavy variant. lasers already have a light and a heavy variant, why not cannons, missiles, and torpedoes? have dreadnoughts carry all the heavy weapons variants, to make them mobile gun platforms like they supposed to be, and put a mix of light and heavy weapon variants on cruisers, destroyers and below all light weapon variants, just different amounts of them. the level system isn't working. and it shows, with Dreadspace the norm, and new players suffering to even get started.

captain of the ICC Assault Cruiser C.S.S. Sledgehammer

Email Leonide
Eledore Massis [R33]
Grand Admiral
Templar Knights

Posted: 2009-04-18 19:27   
Having a corvette's standard particle cannon do the same amount of damage as a battle dreads standard particle cannon is absurd..

Its only given the game restrictions that the battleships don't have the same amount of weapons it should have..
If there where no physical limits to game design and computer graphics, i can imagine a battle dread having over 200 standard particle cannon turrets located out all over its hull.

If you a starwars fan, imagine a A-wing v/s a Imperial star destroyer. who has more guns?
If your a LOTGH fan, imagine Yang Wen-li v/s Reuenthal, in hand to hand combat..
If your a Startrek fan, Imagine a Ferengi Marauder v/s a Cheated klingon in a Negh'Var warship.
Or if your a Darkspace fan...... wait, thats pushing it....

Anyhow, i consider ship leveling a good way to deal with balance as to how approach or deal with ship size difference.

Might be annoying to ballance, and annoying to other other than Developers, as those who have no direct access to the sheets of calculations, are close to clueless what the dev's are trying to do.

+ do we realy want to go back to the day where if your in a corvette you can get a dread to hull just by shooting from afar at his rear armor....
I defiantly won't.

Leonide
Grand Admiral
Templar Knights

Posted: 2009-04-18 22:23   
remember me mentioning those light and heavy variants? yeah. light does less damage than the heavy variants that the battle dread has.

captain of the ICC Assault Cruiser C.S.S. Sledgehammer

Email Leonide
Doran
Chief Marshal
Galactic Navy

Posted: 2009-04-19 11:32   
Quote:

On 2009-04-18 19:27, Eledore ICC Massis [R33] wrote:
Having a corvette's standard particle cannon do the same amount of damage as a battle dreads standard particle cannon is absurd..

id sorta like to disagree with you there ele.

not to mention it's got the added benefit of reducing overall weapon counts, and therefor projectiles the server has to keep track of, which is kinda the reason we have missileII types and heavy cannons now.

buuuuut, as much as i like the idea, it probably wont happen

Enterprise
Chief Marshal

Posted: 2009-04-23 04:23   
This is pretty much how it used to be before levels were introduced into the game via .483.

No levels on ships meant that the biggest difference between tier'd ships were that, the bigger it was, the more weapons/armor, etc. it had.

Of course, this had obvious drawbacks that without continual corrective balance changes, smaller ships are inevitably better on practically every level.

But instead of balance changes, they threw in levels.

Which as we've seen repeatedly, aren't really working, unless you count absolutely no one in a Dreadnought getting obliterated 'working'.

Removing levels removes alot of new player issues, but then it once again throws problems on older players or people who just like to express their e-peen in bigger means better proportions.

DS simply has the inevitable problem that you can't go with either system without making one class altogether better than another. Which is entirely a wrong approach to take when you can potentially access, and use, each one. Each one needs a purpose, a role, an actual reason to be used.

And that seems to continually elude the people who actually make the game, that somehow if we make starting off incredibly difficult, it'll be worth it to get to the top just because we see all these awesome ships killing you.

Hint, it doesn't. Start off without your 160k prestige and see how much fun you have.

The only way you'll "fix" DS, and thats a pretty long shot now if ever, is if you come up with a completely new system where are all equal.

Good luck on that one.

Or.. you can just advertise. Apparently thats a good solution too.

-Ent

Pakhos[+R]
Chief Marshal
Pitch Black

Posted: 2009-04-24 14:13   

Actually , before 1.483 only difference between ships was hull class. Weapon level was same for any ship. And as bigger ships could mount same kind of weapon more than other ships , balance was perfect between a siphon and 2 cruisers, or between 1 ead and 3 claw. You needed 3 skilled claw pilots to take 1 ead, or 1 skilled ead player to take 3 claws. It was based on skill.
But again , back then , there was some players , who was whining so much about why i cant kill 6 claws with my uber station/ead. Then we started the endless argue of balance which is still continue today and looks like it will take more than what we expect.

In my opinion , the biggest error of developers of ds was removing modding ships. I would totally agree with them if they would say "we wont allow different factions tech modding". But , they did remove modding even with own faction tech and that where the problem is. We stuck between ship layouts. There are some moments , I just think, why the hell i need psi missiles on my frigate if i could do better with all cannon. Since psi missiles on frigate have really low weapon level, when u shot a dread with it , you will barely make 1% armor damage. So thats mean , u will need more than 10 frigates to take down a dread(not to mention same arc ).

So if dev wants people fly any ship , not only dread, well they have to tweak small ships. I am not crazy and i wont take on a station while i am in destroyer/frigate. Even station dont attack or repair itself, for a destroyer or frigate it will take more than 10 mins to turn red one plate of that station. Basicly waste of time . If it repairs, well forget it .

But as usual, all the answers from devs are same .They wont put back modding for any reason . Do they really care about players? I dont expect miracles from dev since there is no profesionalism. But i do expect work which could satisfy player base. This is my 2 cents as Palestar customer.Take my 2 cents as you pleased. But the truth is one and ds is going down. It has been almost 10 years since first beta test and look at the point which we came . Time to do something allready. Could be better , much better!

Azreal
Chief Marshal

Posted: 2009-04-25 12:14   

[ This Message was edited by: Azreal on 2009-04-26 20:07 ]

Email Azreal   Goto the website of Azreal
Page created in 0.011382 seconds.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024 Palestar Inc. All rights reserved worldwide.
Terms of use - DarkSpace is a Registered Trademark of PALESTAR