- Weekly DarkSpace
04/20/24 +1.6 Days

Search

Anniversaries

20th - Bizaro
15th - *Flash*
9th - Uziel Lt. Seraph

Social Media

Why not join us on Discord for a chat, or follow us on Twitter or Facebook for more information and fan updates?

Network

DarkSpace
DarkSpace - Beta
Palestar

[FAQ
Forum Index » » DarkSpace Events » » Duel Bracket ideas (a la March Madness)
 Author Duel Bracket ideas (a la March Madness)
Shigernafy
Admiral

Posted: 2009-04-15 22:25   
Since we have a mildly international community, everyone might not be aware of March Madness, but basically in March the top 64 US college basketball teams compete for the national championship. While the sport is fun for many to watch, half the fun is filling out brackets with your predicted winners for each match, all the way to the national champ. Its practically a national sport in its own right.

While we don't have 64 competitors, the Duel coming up offers a similar opportunity. I would like to get some predictions going and see who can best predict the outcome of every battle.

In March Madness form, you normally get points for each win you successfully predict, with later rounds of the tournament earning more points - first round winners net you 1 point, second round 2, third round 4, and so forth. Sometimes you get bonuses for getting an entire round correct; its all up to the people you're competing with. Often people bet on the games, so you'll throw in, say, $5 to a pot and then the best predictor gets say half the pot. In any case, I'd like to offer something similar, but I'm not sure how to structure it. I'd like some advice and opinions from the players on this.

I see a couple options:

First off, the general point structure is as I described; more points for later rounds, plus maybe some bonus points for perfection.

Winnings is my main concern. Should I just make entry free and then give out arbitrary prizes to the top 3 point winners? Ie, 1st gets 500 pres and some play time, 2nd gets 250, or whatever?

Alternately, I could have it be more like betting - you have to throw in some of your (Bonus?) Prestige to "buy in" or play, but you can potentially win back much more if you predict everything right.

This in itself has multiple potential outcomes.

Everyone can contribute a set amount (say 500 pres) to play. The winner takes half the pot, second place gets 20 percent... or whatever (ignore the screwy math). We can work out exact fees and percentages later. I'd prefer to go with Bonus Prestige, since its "neutral", but not everyone has much, depending on when they joined and how accessible it was at that point.

Alternately, people can bet as much as they'd like. Azreal can throw in his entire 637 and thus potentially win more, as the pot will be bigger. The same problem of people not having much Bonus Pres applies, plus someone could conceivably throw in like 4k and thus really make the winnings lucrative, not that that's inherently a problem.

Winnings could then be a set amount of the pot (50%), or your contribution plus some of the pot, or even something like X points gets you (your prestige + 25%), Y points gets you (your prestige x 2), perfect score gets you (your prestige x 5) or something.

In other words, there's a lot of options. Looking at all that, thinking about gambling you have done in the past, and maybe even considering things I haven't thought of (of which there are probably many more options), what do you prefer? Please, propose what you consider the best method to be.

(Also note that we can add more prizes, play time, enhancements or whatever... and could conceivably go with other prestige categories (maybe even with multipliers?), but you'll have to make an argument for that one. i just opted to keep things relatively simple here, but feel free to be as creative and detailed as you'd like)

I'd like to get this set up in a few days, so people have at least 5 days to turn in their predictions prior to the Tournament, so that doesn't leave us too much time to discuss this... so get crackin'.

Also, I currently have a bracket typed up in Excel that I was thinking I could just collect by email, but if you can think of a better way to do so (even just a sloppy-looking text version in the forums would work, I suppose), feel free to suggest that as well.

Thanks.
[ This Message was edited by: Shigernafy on 2009-04-21 22:07 ]

Email Shigernafy
Pakhos[+R]
Chief Marshal
Pitch Black

Posted: 2009-04-16 12:15   
do it as normal bets.

Like 3 to 1 etc...Depends on prestige of players. One of higher prestige player should be favorite . So the house ( i mean you) should decide the odds.

Also prediction of time of killing enemy also would be implemented. Lets say X beats Y between 2 and 3 minutes. So people who bets on this time line also would get something bigger than guessing who only wins.

And bet on the winner of tournament. Odds must be like 10 to 1.

Player should be able to bet any kind of prestige or points from their stats. Could be bonus prestige or combat points. Even the resource lost. If they lost you could add more resource lost on their profile

peace.

Deltabacon
Fleet Admiral

Posted: 2009-04-16 13:03   
So is it match by match or all for betting on the champion of the tournament?

Pakhos[+R]
Chief Marshal
Pitch Black

Posted: 2009-04-16 13:56   
Quote:

On 2009-04-16 13:03, Deltaflyer [R33] wrote:
So is it match by match or all for betting on the champion of the tournament?

I would say both . Lets beter decide.

Fattierob
Vice Admiral

Posted: 2009-04-16 20:10   
better idea:

Take everbody's bonus prestige, put into a pot. Watch silly sports game.

Distrubute from the pot evenly to everybody.

Communism March Madness!

Sens [R33]
Admiral

Posted: 2009-04-16 20:35   
Quote:

On 2009-04-16 20:10, Fattierob wrote:
better idea:

Distrubute from the pot evenly to everybody.

Communism March Madness!

Even better idea:

Pretend to distrubute from the pot evenly to everybody and hoard 70% for yourself.

Realistic Communism March Madness!

Email Sens [R33]
Shigernafy
Admiral

Posted: 2009-04-16 22:33   
Ok, it may have been an overly complicated post.. but you guys are worthless.

Email Shigernafy
Shigernafy
Admiral

Posted: 2009-04-16 23:05   
I'll just make some random decisions myself and figure out the method based on what I've got.

Expect further updates one of these days.

[ This Message was edited by: Shigernafy on 2009-04-16 23:58 ]

Email Shigernafy
Deltabacon
Fleet Admiral

Posted: 2009-04-17 05:38   
How about odds on individual matches? I would dearly love to see who thinks the odds are on me, and whom bets upon me to win. I am sure that the other competitors would feel the same also.

Shigernafy
Admiral

Posted: 2009-04-17 10:16   
Kind of hard to figure out except by me just making stuff up. There's probably some way to do it based on bets (ie, the more people bet and the more they bet on a particular outcome, the higher the odds of that outcome and thus the lower the payout). But that method would also deprive betters of any signaling on how much they should bet.. its not how functioning markets really work for this sort of thing.

I've got about six hours of sitting in planes in my future, so I'll think about how I want to run this then.... assuming I don't sleep the whole time. Hopefully I can post something tonight.

Email Shigernafy
SaturnShadow™ *FC*(Angel Of Darkness)
Marshal
*Renegade Space Marines*

Posted: 2009-04-17 19:10   
ok this is cool only thing is not to let the players that are in this tournament to bet UNLESS they are knocked out of it

$yTHe {C?}
Grand Admiral
Sundered Weimeriners

Posted: 2009-04-17 19:21   
Just do the March Madness thing. Given the small player base figuring out seeds wouldn't be that hard.

Shigernafy
Admiral

Posted: 2009-04-19 17:10   
Well that still leaves open the question of how to run prizes.

My internet is acting up and I'm posting this from a friend's; I'll stick up a proposal for running this hopefully tonight for feedback and then open up actual predictions Monday or Tuesday.

Email Shigernafy
Page created in 0.032850 seconds.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024 Palestar Inc. All rights reserved worldwide.
Terms of use - DarkSpace is a Registered Trademark of PALESTAR