Upcoming Events

- Weekly DarkSpace
04/27/24 +1.2 Days

Search

Anniversaries

16th - Eve_is_crap
14th - Durden

Social Media

Why not join us on Discord for a chat, or follow us on Twitter or Facebook for more information and fan updates?

Network

DarkSpace
DarkSpace - Beta
Palestar

[FAQ
Forum Index » » DarkSpace Events » » King of the Hill.
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
 Author King of the Hill.
Sixkiller
Marshal
Courageous Elite Commandos

Posted: 2009-04-08 14:01   
Just for the bitching, you cant lock things JBud.
But still, King of the Hill is a great idea. Should kind of be the way to control systems or something in DS.

JBud
Marshal

Posted: 2009-04-08 14:14   
Quote:

On 2009-04-08 14:01, Sixkiller wrote:
Just for the bitching, you cant lock things JBud.
But still, King of the Hill is a great idea. Should kind of be the way to control systems or something in DS.

I was tempted to lock this thread upon you saying that.
I want it to be a classic style King of the Hill type of competition... where you basically have to stay in the small zone(the hill) last one alive in that zone wins(the king).

Email JBud   Goto the website of JBud
ADmiraLMaXimus (Bringer of Doom)
Chief Marshal
Praetorian Wolves

Posted: 2009-04-08 16:41   
you want a true king of the hill combat idea then do it all out...
no planets no SY no sensor plats no supply plats no defense plats
2 of each scout ship per faction
2 of each frigate ships per faction
4 supply ships per faction
2 of each cruiser class per faction
1 of each dread class ship per faction
1 of each station per faction

20,000gu diameter combat zone

all functions available on all ships
no holds barred

this will make use of every ship.. you want to see the kluth, then beacon them. scouts would play a major role as finders of the enemy faction
make use of all ships and all enhancements all you skills
make it a real combat zone
anyone not playing can observe only in observe mode
moderators pick a faction and be observers in the contest
MOD ships will not be attacked since they are watching the contest 1 mod ship in each faction
dont put limits on any faction
let all ships fuction at their full potential

K'luth have weak armor and can take damage while Cloaked without beeing able to fire back or jump until un-Cloaked but have strong weapons and beams have same effect at any range

UGTO have strong armor and can rotate their ship to keep them in the fight
beams are stonger at close range and flux is very effective in disrupting all ships systems and K'luth Cloak

ICC can rotate shields to keep all more powerfull forward firing weapons hitting their target, they have weaker armor.

it has been said that Darkspace ... by the numbers is balanced.
so all out combat like this is the true test of that
combat like this will also show the different types of skill it takes to fly each ship in each faction

and when a ship is destroyed the player is gone from the contest but can watch in observe mode

supply ships and stations will eventually run out of supply drones
when and if that happens thats it... no more reloads
K'luth automated hull repair will also run out then thats it for the hull however the organic armor will still repair but as weak as that armor is it wont last long

once a player comes out for the contest thats it no exit gate they bring you back to the same gate no home gate you are in the game till your ship is destroyed

just a thought

Email ADmiraLMaXimus (Bringer of Doom)
Fattierob
Vice Admiral

Posted: 2009-04-08 22:30   

???

JBud
Marshal

Posted: 2009-04-09 05:39   
Quote:

On 2009-04-08 22:30, Fattierob wrote:

???

Read.

Quote:

King of the Hill (also known as "King of the Mountain" or "King of the Castle"), is a game, the object of which is to stay on top of a large hill or pile (or any other designated area) as the "King of the Hill". Other players attempt to knock the current King off of the pile and take their place, thus becoming the new King of the Hill.

The way the "king" can be removed from the hill depends largely on the rules determined by the players before the game starts. Ordinarily pushing is the most common way of removing the king from the hill, but there are significantly rougher variations where punching or kicking is allowed. As such, the game is often banned from schools.

King of the Hill is also a method of play in airsoft and the "woodsball" variant of paintball.

King of the Hill has been featured as a game variant in many video games, especially first person shooters like Halo: Combat Evolved and the more traditional Perfect Dark. It's also an option in some top-down games, such as many of those in the Army Men series. In these versions of the game, a player or team of players must keep control of a specific area or object for a predetermined amount of time. When that amount of time is reached, the round either ends or a new area is designated on the map. In the virtual variant, players are generally removed from the hill by killing them.

King of the Hill is also a popular game on Internet forums in which the posters take the hill from the previous poster, only for it (usually) to be taken away by the next, and so on.
Source: Wikipedia

This idea is an alteration of this game.
[ This Message was edited by: JBud on 2009-04-09 05:40 ]

Little Pet Slinki
Admiral

Posted: 2009-04-09 07:20   
Somehow I doubt we could do a proximity King of the Hill style game without adding something in beta and testing before hand.

Otherwise it's a system of planets, which you could transport rush anyhows, and it seems that K'luth would generally be at a loss.

Goto the website of Little Pet Slinki
JBud
Marshal

Posted: 2009-04-09 07:25   
Part of the reason I opted to barr K'Luth from this one.

Little Pet Slinki
Admiral

Posted: 2009-04-09 07:49   
You can't bar K'luth from an event, well you can but it would be stupid to neglect a third of the entire game.

How about having a time limit to take the planets, the planets have to be taken in succession and the defenders have to defend in succession.

The only problem is that Whatever the enemy team does not destroy, will be their defence in the second round as the other factions try to take the planets. Those who gain the most territory in the time limit wins, It's a bit like King of the Hill but more of an assault style.

Goto the website of Little Pet Slinki
JBud
Marshal

Posted: 2009-04-09 16:35   
Quote:

On 2009-04-09 07:49, Little Pet Slinki, The Inane wrote:
You can't bar K'luth from an event, well you can but it would be stupid to neglect a third of the entire game.

How about having a time limit to take the planets, the planets have to be taken in succession and the defenders have to defend in succession.

The only problem is that Whatever the enemy team does not destroy, will be their defence in the second round as the other factions try to take the planets. Those who gain the most territory in the time limit wins, It's a bit like King of the Hill but more of an assault style.

Hmmmmm, we should talk next time we are both in chat, I like this idea. Catch me in chat so we can talk more about it.

Azreal
Chief Marshal

Posted: 2009-04-09 18:40   
Quote:

On 2009-04-08 08:18, JBud wrote:
Good point, I'll see if a staff can script out the cloaking devices for K'Luth.

LOL! Classic. Will there be scripting out of UGTO armor and ICC shields to match the severe disadvantage that K'luth would face? Seems fair to me. Maybe it should just be a human faction only event? If you want in, you must fly UGTO or ICC? Just a thought. The idea of a K'luth not being able to cloak, and yet still facing the severe energy and armor penalties really would make them unsurvivable in a cluster of defenses as described.

Purhaps you were only kidding tho?

Email Azreal   Goto the website of Azreal
JBud
Marshal

Posted: 2009-04-09 18:52   
I was.

The idea of barring K'Luth is more real however, even though some people don't like the idea, it would be unfair to put then in.

El Guapo
Chief Marshal

Posted: 2009-04-10 18:42   
Quote:

On 2009-04-09 18:52, JBud wrote:
I was.

The idea of barring K'Luth is more real however, even though some people don't like the idea, it would be unfair to put then in.

Really now how can one take this, with a grain of salt... I really think not. If you exclude k'luth in this or any event then you might as well remove the faction from the game. But then again that is what alot of planet hugging humans want, k'luth gone... I really think for this Maximus has the right idea, a battle in space, deep darkspace, but then the planet hugging humans would be crying for they would not have their security blanket, the above mentioned hugged planet... but then they would be hugging their stations...

Here is a fair one, get rid of the k'luth faction and replace it with the MIR faction that would be fair then... or we could get rid of the UGTO and or the ICC factions. Damn better yet erase the game from your hard drives and say good bye to palestar and go play EVE or something, there that is the idea, everyone say good bye.

JBud
Marshal

Posted: 2009-04-10 19:09   
Dude, Grow up.
I'll ressurect this thread when I have more time to argue with you about this, but barring K'Luth is likely a possibility, has been done with events before, it will be done again, after the tournament is over we will talk again.
[ This Message was edited by: JBud on 2009-04-10 19:12 ]

Shigernafy
Admiral

Posted: 2009-04-10 21:05   
I don't understand why not including one faction is that huge of a problem for an event. There are excluded classes in other events and nobody cried foul. There are excluded ranks in other events, and nobody made a big deal about it. You just have it in a different server or do something so people don't have to change fleets if they don't want to (or just leave it but for a clone to let you back in...) and there's no problem.

We used to have a little thing called scenario servers where a significant number of maps were ONLY humans. People still played, and in fact ask for those back. And back in those days, speaking of which, people didn't identify obsessively with their faction and start freaking out when you mention something not involving their faction. People didn't insult others often because the flexible teams meant everyone mingled, rather than only seeing others as "enemies" ... often times they were allies, after all.

Anyway, just reminiscing.

Email Shigernafy
El Guapo
Chief Marshal

Posted: 2009-04-10 21:27   
Quote:

On 2009-04-10 19:09, JBud wrote:
Dude, Grow up.
I'll ressurect this thread when I have more time to argue with you about this, but barring K'Luth is likely a possibility, has been done with events before, it will be done again, after the tournament is over we will talk again.
[ This Message was edited by: JBud on 2009-04-10 19:12 ]

I will have you know jbud that I am grown up, and I wish you would quit using Wikipedia as a reference source, really it can be edited by anyone so the information you are quoting is suspect. This is in regards to the fact that I have seen you qoute wikipedia so much lately, thought I saw something in this thread...

(Wikipedia is written collaboratively by volunteers from all around the world; anyone can edit it. Every day, hundreds of thousands of visitors from around the world collectively make tens of thousands of edits and create thousands of new articles to augment the knowledge held by the Wikipedia encyclopedia.)

so please refrain from using wikipedia, do some work and reference things properly...

[ This Message was edited by: El Guapo on 2009-04-10 22:00 ]

[ This Message was edited by: El Guapo on 2009-04-10 23:51 ]

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
Page created in 0.032293 seconds.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024 Palestar Inc. All rights reserved worldwide.
Terms of use - DarkSpace is a Registered Trademark of PALESTAR