No kills today... yet.

Upcoming Events

- Weekly DarkSpace
05/04/24 +16.4 Hours

Search

Anniversaries

1st - Alamode

Social Media

Why not join us on Discord for a chat, or follow us on Twitter or Facebook for more information and fan updates?

Network

DarkSpace
DarkSpace - Beta
Palestar

[FAQ
Forum Index » » Developer Feedback » » Ok then..
 Author Ok then..
Jar Jar Binks
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2009-03-02 07:09   
this will probably get shot down but i have to atleast suggest it and try to explain why i do it, for my own sanity if nothing else

How about making K'luth a AI faction and replacing that with the MI (obviously rebalanced).

now i can almost hear you banging your head against the table thinking "oh crap not again".

so here's my reason why i'd like this.

no matter how hard the devs try, K'luth will never ever be balanced against the other factions. they have cloak, weaker armor and superior firepower. and while that may not be wrong by default, but having 6 (or more) K'luth dreads pop on someone will make it go boom unless its properly aligned to a friendly planet with enough defense platforms to make them not chase it there. as jumping into nowhere doesent seem to work anymore as they just follow you in F2.

anyway, derailed myself a tad there. the tactic K'luth are forced to use would be balanced and fine if they were the underdog both in population and in firepower. but right now they are neither. they have both superior firepower, and they can (when they want to) field almost as many combat pilots as UGTO can. and this is true even when there isnt a trial going on, but we cant strip their armor more either.

so unless UGTO and especially ICC get alot more popular to play, said K'luth tactics will always make them a extreme pain in the neck to fight and most wont even bother unless they absolutely have to, as in its either them or log off.

what made me want to write this post was the "how to play as k'luth" guide on the live board, and especially the phrase about how a small k'luth fleet can take on a much bigger one and win.

now imagine what an equally sized k'luth fleet is capable of if a much smaller one can do that.

its not really encouraging for neither ICC nor UGTO to attack them.

now, why MI(R) would be better, for the simple reason of no cloak (or very limited to the smaller ships only). yes i know they have been given it recently although i fail to see why as it were supposed to be k'luth exclusive. or that was atleast the reason given when ICC and UGTO were denied to mod that in their ships

and i know theres tacticks to be used against k'luth but those just comes down to trying to ping them so you atleast can get a glimpse of them, or run around in random figure 8's and 0's so they cant focusfire on one arc comming out of stealth. thats all ICC and UGTO can do while K'luth can pretty much pick and choose however they want.

but maybe i'm just to biassed, as i'm no fan of stealthers in any game, but i've tried to not let that get to much of an overhand in this post.

wich leads me to a question about why i dislike them so much. why exactly is it that "stealthers" automatically gets given insane damage just because they have stealth/cloak? shouldn't it be the other way around? i mean, they can pick their own fights as much as they want to. if they dont like what they see they just dont decloak and engage. who made the unbreakable decision that stealthers should have massive burst damage?

because said unknown person decided that they also should have paper defenses? sure they may need to to atleast make it look like they are balanced, but they really isn't. as the second more then 1 of the stealthers engage the same target, that balance goes out the window.

hope this was conscructive enough

Eledore Massis [R33]
Grand Admiral
Templar Knights

Posted: 2009-03-02 12:42   
Mi are the fictional Ultimate weapon of doom.
Not likely you want to give that faction to players, and i bet they will remain in the hands of Staff only.

Maybe when just looking at the Mi from a static point of view this swap may look good. From a fictional point of view taking in to consideration the backgrounds you will immediately see why it should never go.

As you say K'Luth might be impossible to balance out to the other Human factions. But being blunt: Who ever said Aliens have to play a FAIR game?

Sens [R33]
Admiral

Posted: 2009-03-02 20:31   
you can never really balance a faction because skill is what always skews the standard.

Email Sens [R33]
Page created in 0.007253 seconds.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024 Palestar Inc. All rights reserved worldwide.
Terms of use - DarkSpace is a Registered Trademark of PALESTAR