No kills today... yet.

Upcoming Events

- Weekly DarkSpace
05/04/24 +1.6 Days

Search

Anniversaries

No anniversaries today.

Social Media

Why not join us on Discord for a chat, or follow us on Twitter or Facebook for more information and fan updates?

Network

DarkSpace
DarkSpace - Beta
Palestar

[FAQ
Forum Index » » English (General) » » Classes, Ships and Gadgets.
 Author Classes, Ships and Gadgets.
Little Pet Slinki
Admiral

Posted: 2009-02-23 18:15   
As Pak said in another thread, We need new ships, Gadgets, Classes etc.

Could we make a thread, where we create new ideas for ships, gadgets, classes, I don't care!

Aslong as there is thought put into it, and not something like, Supply Destroyer - Think about it, you could extend so that the "Supply" would only be a certain type of resource, like missiles, or torpedos, or let the captain decide what to supply etc.

For example:

Ship

Defence Cruiser
"Atmosphere" Class Cruiser
(ICC)

Planetblockers are the primary defence against incoming bomber and invader craft - Planetblockers feature a slightly bigger profile than normal cruisers however is restricted to half speed, due to mass and to fufil power needs in other key systems.

The primary role of the defense cruiser is to defend a planet from orbit, a device onboard ship allows for augmentation of shield power from the planet to be absorbed into the ship, and vice versa. However due to current power distribution systems, having more then 4 Shield Augmentation devices active on one shield grid will cause systematic overloads within all shield generators or possibly other systems.

Weapons:

Long Range Missiles
Short Range Pulse Lasers

Devices:

Shields
Power Generators
Shield Augmentation Device

(Armour? The idea of armour on a ship like this is somewhat needed but since it is larger than most cruiser classes - I believe we could coat one side and one side only in ablative armour, that side would be the side you point into oncoming fire)

(Added Armour Point: Could make it a 75% as effective as normal Ablative armour if we make it deployable, with a 8 second recharge time, and requires a little bit of energy, the captain can deploy armour on any side of the ship he so wishes - dismissing armour will put it in for repair, but when it is out, there is no repair?)

Positives:

- Excellent planet defender.
- First class ship to defend against bombs and Infantry.

Negatives:

- Slow and bulky
- Not designed for combat
- Susceptible to cannon fire and close range torpedo attacks.

----------------------------
Ship Class - Frigate - Sprinkler Class

Due to the increase of K'luth activity within the UGTO - Fleet Commanders have ordered the introduction of a new Ship Class, named the Sprinkler.
Although this class sounds rather pathetic, the design of the ship is to be fitted with mid range Gauss Cannons and a new incendary weapon that pierces the K'luth ships armour and continues to errode for upto 6 seconds after impact.

Frigates were chosen to host this class as they are the faster spec of the fleet and although Damage across the board is limited - these ships are designed to work in packs to run down K'luth ships until the mainstay fleet arrives.

----------------------------
Gadgets

Shield Augmentation Device - A device that allows a ship to drain energy from planet shields or to augment planet shields with energy from it's own shielding in increments of 5% - only one can be deployed per ship and a maximum of 4 infused with a planet. Must be within 350gu of a planet.

Deployable Armour - Ablative armour that can be deployed on any side of a ship to take extra flak - since it is deployable it is only 75% effective in comparasin with standard ablative armour. Auto repair is not available for this class of armour until it is undeployed by the captain. This device comes with an 8 second recharge when deployed or recinded.

Cargo Bay - To extend the needs of supply lines across the expanse of the universe, Captains are becomming more reckless in the pursuit of credits, merit and reward. The cargo bay converted from unused crew quarters allows the captain to store a certain amount of a type of weapon that can be added to it's own or others ships ammo stores.

Buoy - A simple and standardised buoy that can be set with either a message to be broadcast a distress call to nearby ships, or to scan a vicinity of 3000gu in remote spots, Buoy's are as small as beacons are last aslong as the host ship is in system.

Incendary Rounds - To be fitted in place of particle cannons, designed for the smaller ships are close to medium range tactile rounds designed for anti K'luth combat, however have a low damage against metallic compounds. These rounds last for upto 6 seconds per hit to continually exert damage on the enemy ship.

Biological Warfare? - K'luth DoT as it were that infects an enemy ship for x amount of seconds for x amount of damage, there is no known cure as of yet.

Nanite Technology - UGTO based weapon that is designed to bypass shields and start to eat away at hull and power systems within a ship, also very good at breaking chemical bonds within organic matter as this was first used in medical science.

Drones - ICC Invention where Ships feature 4 drones, each with a small weapons array and sensor that fire continously at surrounding ships or whomever the captain targets - each drone is shielded by an arc of shields, if you want to disable the drone, you can either shoot at the drone (Which is very very hard to hit) or fire at the ship until an arc of shields has gone and then fire 2 or 3 chemical lasers/disruptor at the drones.
[ This Message was edited by: Little Pet Slinki, The Inane on 2009-02-24 04:11 ]

Goto the website of Little Pet Slinki
Sens [R33]
Admiral

Posted: 2009-02-23 18:19   
or we could take 3 line stations and sit them around a planet O_o, good ideas though; although hull size values may be a problem. I was thinking more a "energy supply ship" would be more useful though.

Email Sens [R33]
-Shadowalker-™
Admiral
Galactic Navy

Posted: 2009-02-23 18:32   
@sens ...

:edit- I love it, great idea

[ This Message was edited by: -Shadowalker- on 2009-02-23 18:49 ]

Email -Shadowalker-™
MrSparkle
Marshal

Posted: 2009-02-23 20:44   
For Kluth:

Ship: Nidus
Class: Support station

Almost exactly the same as a Hive, except with useful station-level cannons instead of useless and laggy missiles. Otherwise no difference.

The same configuration can be created for human support stations. Funny but I don't remember if human support stations use missiles too? If they do, give them another station with cannons in place of missiles.

Oh and if you want anti-Kluth weaponry, we need anti-UGTO weaponry in return. Kluth are pathetically weak vs reflective armor. Ever see what a Nest does to a dread with reflective? It's sad.
[ This Message was edited by: MrSparkle on 2009-02-23 20:46 ]

Hellza - Dark Master
Fleet Admiral
Praetorian Wolves

Posted: 2009-02-23 21:54   
I was originally going to reply to the "The Issue of Dreadspace" but i found it more useful here.

I have a idea which I plan to help Inspire others.

Currently I am making a demo of what i mean an plan to post it here asap.
bare with me! its going to include Cruisers, Dreads for the first demo, then the rest of the classes if it seems to be liked.

Basically, everyone like some sort of modding back, in 1.483 was horrid, we had Torp MDs for a example.

now with modding and how unbalance it can be.

Everyone, loves to be able to mod ships. and almost everyone is unhappy with the current mods. "Same ship over an over"
how about being able to mod a few variable weapons? a select few so that the type of ship still have its main role, but able to change some of its systems to how the player likes it.

If it looks like its possible to do. and want see if we can go further with it.

Then we could perhaps being able to use some other faction weapons. (but you cant just go on the other faction to take the weapons.) you have to destroy your enemies for the items.
e.g Ftorps, PTorps, AM torps, Guass Guns, Psi missles, IT missiles. etc.

Enough talk time for some templates!.
(sadly i couldn't get any icc systems due to lack of SY's in mv.. poor guys)

Out of the cruisers on each faction. I'll be choosing.

Torp Cruiser, Scale, Assault Cruiser.

Cruisers

The Scale

As we can see here, the Scale contains
12 x Ruptors
5 x Am Torps
2 x Psi Missiles
2 x Psi Cannons.

that makes a total of 21 weapons which ship has to use.
I am wondering if its possible if we can have 5 slots of those variable weapons and the rest fixed. say

Fixed in
8 x Ruptors
4 x AM torps
3 x Psi cannons
2 x Psi Missiles
variable weapons
4 x Beams/Torps/Cannons/Missiles

The Torp Cruiser.

9 x Beams
8 x Torps
5 x Cannons

That makes 22 Weapons. say

Fixed in
6 x beams
12 x torps
6 x cannons
variable weapons
4 x Beams/Torps/Cannons/Missiles

The Assault Cruiser

Sadly due to the icc currently not having any SY's that have the right tec, i can not show a example for them.

Dreads
For the Dreads, i will be choosing Siphon, AD, EAD.
I was thinking of.. 7 changeable.
High Level beams are not included for changeable. (HCL? Assruptors etc)

EAD

8 x Torp
5 x High level beam
11 x Low level Beam
1 x cannon lol
4 x QST

29 weapons to work with,

Fixed in
5 x torp
5 x High Level Beams
8 x Low level Beams
4 x QST
variable weapons
7 x Beams/Torps/Cannons/Missiles

Siphon

8 x Torp
4 x High Level Beams
3 x Elf Beam
10 x Low level Beams
2 x Cannons
4 x SI

so. 31 weapons.

Fixed in
6x Torp
4 x High Level Beams
3 x Elf Beam
4x Low level Beams
3 x Cannons
4 x SI
variable weapons
7 x Beams/Torps/Cannons/Missiles

Assault Dread
Once i can get the Systems for this baby i will post soon.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Beams :
If the Player user chooses all beams for his variable weapons, he will be very weak against ships that have mid range/ far(mainly luth) range advantages. since he will have to be very up close an personal for him to be affective... with a few more Pulse beams for UGTO an ICC they can be very effective for covering bombers, excellent against missles an fighters.

Torpedoes:
Now if he chooses torps, he will be very weak against up an close to ships. not only he would damage them, but the splash SHOULD also hurt him... as well as fast ships which can dodge the torps. making him easy pickings.

Missiles:
Selecting Missiles he can at least still have distance fire power, but if anyone jumps onto him. he will be have to RUN asap cause he wouldn't have what it takes to fight melee.

Cannons:
If he chooses cannons, he will be incredibly weak against bigger targets which have harder hitting weapons. ships near his size would be his more ideal target. even then scouts-dessys could out run the poor cruiser.

where as if he is just equally spread out, he can fight up close, mid-range or distance to a point.

"ECCM/ECM/SCANNER/AUX POWER"
now, if we could go back to the old cloak where we used eccm/ecm to counter react with each other. the more ecm the better for us luth!. if not, ignore this part.

now i am going to split this into two, one for luth an one for ugto/icc.

UGTO/ICC

ECM
ECCM
AUX power
Scanner

With planets now, if you have the tec, an resources you can mod, so these can easy change when needed. they dont cost much either!.

ECM:
Ugto/icc would use ECM for mainly distance fire (like Missile Dread, so they can cover their missiles, carrier dread for their fighters) and bombing, even to hide their sig as a fleet if they traveling somewhere an someone passes them an doesn't notice them. (would have to use your eyes to see them as you jump past)

ECCM:
Used mostly to pick out kluth and make them have to use ecm, as well as handy to pick out bombers that are covering their bombs with ecm. plus anyone like the MD covering their missiles from a distance. fighters from a carrier dread.

Scanners:
Scanners should be used to be able to select planet buildings. give them some use at least.

Kluth
Cloak
ECM
AUX

Cloak: Cloak in my honest opinion was better in the old version, where you had to use ECM/ECCM tug of war. but still have the timer to decloak as it does in this version. make it that we can fire straight away if we are cloaked. (in doing so, we will uncloak).

ECM/AUX: as the current version the scale for a e.g cam have 1 x Ecm an 1 x Aux

If a scale could change to two ecms, he could help his fleet fight more against the eccm around, in combat he wouldn't have much power as the one that has 2x Aux to last long in fights (they wont be able to help fight against eccm).

A scale with just stock standard can fight and also help keep ecm cover. but not to the extent the others able to do so.

and that's me for now, I hope this was not confusing nor to long for anyone. i hope it helps in making any sort of inspiration .

~Hellza.
[ This Message was edited by: Hellza - Dark Master on 2009-02-24 00:41 ]

[ This Message was edited by: Hellza - Dark Master on 2009-02-24 00:48 ]

Jim Starluck
Marshal
Templar Knights

Posted: 2009-02-24 00:22   
The fixed weapons vs changeable weapons thing might be workable. After all, basic missiles, torps, cannons and beams all have the same value in the ship balance spreadsheets, so in theory switching between them would not imbalance a ship overly much. In fact it seems like their current restrictions are mostly in place to ensure that a particular ship-type is actually used for its intended role (Missile cruisers for Missiling, assault ships for assaulting, etc) and not simply completely re-tooled.

However, the number of weapons on a ship that are changeable compared to the number that are fixed would have to be carefully determined in order to ensure that a given ship is best at its intended role. We don't want something like the old Torpedo-armed Missile Dreads.

Edit: Perhaps switching from one slot type to another could be exceedingly expensive in terms of resources, to discourage swapping willy-nilly.
[ This Message was edited by: Jim Starluck on 2009-02-24 00:26 ]

Email Jim Starluck
Hellza - Dark Master
Fleet Admiral
Praetorian Wolves

Posted: 2009-02-24 00:32   
Aye, I plan to go into a lot more detail into this. twas a pretty fast example.

like with missile dread if i could get my hands on their system. have a better way to show what i mean.

so I am going to make one up that's completely not to scale.

Right now

20 x Missiles
5 x High level beams
4 x Low level beams.

You could change 7 of those missiles into torps if you wish, or low level beams/cannons.

so then the Missile dread could have some sort of close range combat, but it would never been able to fight against the likes a scale/Battle dread.
[ This Message was edited by: Hellza - Dark Master on 2009-02-24 00:44 ]

t500
Marshal

Posted: 2009-02-24 05:51   
Quote:

On 2009-02-24 00:22, Jim Starluck wrote:
The fixed weapons vs changeable weapons thing might be workable. After all, basic missiles, torps, cannons and beams all have the same value in the ship balance spreadsheets.
[ This Message was edited by: Jim Starluck on 2009-02-24 00:26 ]

2.3.3.1 Gadget Values
Every gadget within the DarkSpace game is assigned a "size" value. This does not really indicate the relative size of weapons, or subsystems, but is intended more as an aid to balancing the various ship configurations.

Type Size Value Gadgets
UGTO ICC K'Luth

Drive 9 IE Drive, PFE Drive, AFE Drive IE Drive, PFE Drive, AFE Drive PSI Drive, AME Drive

Primary Weapon 1 Particle Cannon, EMP Cannon Rail-gun, Gauss Gun Psi Cannon, Plasma Cannon

Light Beam 1 Standard CL Chemical Beam Laser(Standard CL), Pulse Laser Disruptor

Medium Beam 2 Flux Cannon None ELF Beam

Heavy Beam 3 Heavy CL Heavy CL Assault Disruptor

Core Weapon 6 QST Ion Cannon Stellar Incinerator

Light Launcher 1 Proton Torpedo Fusion Torpedo AM Torpedo

Light Rack 1 IT Missile, AR Missile, Sabot Rocket IT Missile, AR Missile, Sabot Rocket Psi Missile, Shredder Missile

Heavy Launcher (Mine) 3 EMP Mine, Homing EMP Mine Nuke Mine, Homing Nuke AM Mine, Homing AM Mine

Heavy Rack (Siege) 4 PCM, PSM PCM, PSM Shock Missile

Armor* 7 Standard Armor, Ablative Armor, Reflective Armor Composite Armor(Standard Armor) Organic Armor

Shield 7 None Reactive Shields, Active Shields None

Electronic Warfare 1 ECM, ECCM, Scanner ECM, ECCM, Scanner ECM, ECCM, Scanner

Special Beam 2 Tractor Beam, Mining Beam Tractor Beam, Mining Beam Tractor Beam, Mining Beam

Beacon 1 Beacon Beacon Beacon

Reactor 2 Aux Reactor Aux Fusion Generator(Aux Reactor), Aux Shield Gen Aux Reactor

Drone 2 Build, Reload Build, Reload Build, Reload

Faction Special 3 Flux Wave Pulse Wave AHR, (Chitinous Armor)

Jump Drive 6 Tachyon Drive Tachyon Drive Antimatter JD

JD2 12 Wormhole II, HMA Wormhole II, HMA Wormhole II, HMA

Bomb 8 MiRV Bomb, Neutron Bomb MiRV Bomb, Neutron Bomb Bio bomb, TK Bomb

Jump Disruptor 17 Interdictor Interdictor Interdictor

Fighter 5 B-27, I-19, A-34, EWAS F-29, FI-18, XB-11, SRR Larvae, Tarsus, Wasp, (Cimex)

Cloak 4 None None Cloak

*There are special rules with regards to Armor added to ship layouts. See the Ship Values section for more information.
2.3.3.2 Ship Values
Each ship class within the DarkSpace game has been assigned a "Base Capacity" value. This is not a real indication of the ships size, but is instead intended as a balancing aid when designing new ship layouts.

The "Maximum Variance" value is a mass modifier that can be used to add or remove additional capacity in exchange for maneuverability. Each point of capacity added or removed equates to mass added or removed based on the "Mass Modifier" for that hull class.

Ship Class /Base Capacity/Max. Variance/Base Mass/Mass Modifier

Scout [ 51 ],,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,3,,,,,,,,,,,5,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,0.33

Frigate 78,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,3,,,,,,,,,,,,9,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,0.5

Destroyer 96,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,3,,,,,,,,,,14,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,0.66

Cruiser 115,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,3,,,,,,,,,,17,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,0.75

Dread1 165,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,3,,,,,,,,,,27,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,1

Dread2 175,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,3,,,,,,,,,,30,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,1

i got it her http://beta.darkspace.net/index.htm?module=document.php&doc_id=13

[ This Message was edited by: t500 on 2009-02-24 06:08 ]

Email t500
Deltabacon
Fleet Admiral

Posted: 2009-02-24 08:55   
Quote:

On 2009-02-24 05:51, t500 wrote:
Quote:

On 2009-02-24 00:22, Jim Starluck wrote:
*snip*[small]

*snip*
[small][ This Message was edited by: t500 on 2009-02-24 06:08 ]

wat

Page created in 0.014454 seconds.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024 Palestar Inc. All rights reserved worldwide.
Terms of use - DarkSpace is a Registered Trademark of PALESTAR