No kills today... yet.

Upcoming Events

- Weekly DarkSpace
04/27/24 +3.9 Days

Search

Anniversaries

21th - James Bum007

Social Media

Why not join us on Discord for a chat, or follow us on Twitter or Facebook for more information and fan updates?

Network

DarkSpace
DarkSpace - Beta
Palestar

[FAQ
Forum Index » » Tactics & New Players » » How to... play as K'Luth
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )
 Author How to... play as K'Luth
Kenny_Naboo
Marshal
Pitch Black

Posted: 2010-02-17 01:40   
I started this game playing UGTO. After awhile, the game felt like Star Control (for those who're old enough to remember) in 3D, but with more ship options. And a bit later on, it got a little tiresome for me to do 'turn and burn' battles. T'Was the same experience the very few times I tried ICC.

I feel that playing Kluth is like playing a submarine simulator. More fun with the stealth factor added in.

Positioning your ship or predicting the enemy's flight path suddenly becomes important. Chasing him around at top speed in cloak eats up energy which will cripple your attack, and your cloak.

Among the other things I picked up were stuff like:
- Putting lesser targets in between yourself and a powerful enemy like a dread, platform, or planet.
- How to work with other teammates to decoy and ambush the enemy.
- How to immediately change directions after going to cloak under fire (sort of like a submarine making a few course changes after dropping off noisemakers)

It's been fun, really. A most interesting faction.

[ This Message was edited by: Kenny_Naboo on 2010-02-17 01:40 ]

Pegasus
Grand Admiral
Pitch Black

Posted: 2010-02-17 05:31   
Yes their are alot of aspects you can take from naval warfare and apply it to many space games including Darkspace.
From UGTO using broadside to K'luth sneaking around like a u-boat and avoiding being pinged.
Alot of naval tactics we can utilise from hunting in wolf packs which sometimes K'luth do, to creating a ugto/icc anti-submarine net using eccm and beacons etc.

ADmiraLMaXimus (Bringer of Doom)
Chief Marshal
Praetorian Wolves

Posted: 2010-02-18 22:40   
i would like to see AM torps track targets again if they are gona be so slow.........i just wanted to throw that out there

Email ADmiraLMaXimus (Bringer of Doom)
Azreal
Chief Marshal

Posted: 2010-02-19 22:16   
The keys to K'Luth. Not intended to be a long post but what the hey. Somehow it ended up there. I wouldnt say I am a total expert, but I know the faction some. If you read it all you'll get something from it, I am sure.

1. Cloak. Know when to cloak and when to jump. Make the wrong decision, you may not be able to uncloak fast enough to jump out.

2. Signature. Know it, keep an eye on it as much as engine speed and hull damage. You live and die by the ability to cloak up and slip away if you need to.

3. Energy. You almost never have enough of it. Since your cloak also heavily depends on it, you better keep this one in mind at all times.

4. Planets. You can not land on them. Cloak has no effect on the mass of a planet, so do not think that because you are cloaked you can go through planets. BOMP. Wrong answer.

The key secrets to effective cloak/energy/damage management.

Keep your energy and signature in mind at all times. Try to cloak up any time you are not firing on an enemy. Uncloak when you have him lined up in a kill box.

How I manage a Krill: When I engage near an enemy planet, I always keep my signature as the priority thing to watch. If I get near the 50 mark, I know its going to be hell to cloak if they start running eccm when I try to go under. I tend to start thinking about cloaking in this situation when I get near 40 to 35% hull. I make sure I have enough energy as well. These three things are key. Hull, Sig, energy.
When you begin to cloak, manuver as you normally do, but you'll find if you are close up, the pings are easy to get you. You have to have enough eneregy to run engines at high for a few seconds as you manuver and cloak takes effect. If you dont leave enough energy to do this, then they can ping you and track easier because you have to run slower. You also have to have enough hull to take a few shots as you cloak and move away, so make sure you dont try cloaking with 15% hull, a 60 sig, and less than 1/6 energy.

If the sig is really high, forgo the cloak, stay away from dictors, and do short hops away, like 2500 - 3500 away. Then cloak and slide back in or whatever.

If you have a lot of damage and its even iffy then you should jump. If you are low on energy, and there are a lot of enemy about, you must jump out.

If you are forced to jump out, as soon as you land, kick on ecm, cloak, and turn your best arc of armor back towards the direction you came from. If they land short, they will have you in their full arc. You want your best side facing them. If they overjump you, they have no good arcs on you, and you have as much chance to outrun as engage him with advatage. (usually, but never always, as any situation may be) This should be done by ANY PILOT ANY FACTION.

Mixed ships in a fleet is the true secret to K'luth's offense. I think of all three factions, K'Luth still has the most powerful small ships, albeit their energy is their shortcoming. As it should be. So use that to your advantages. Use the small guys to come in and hit the big ships AFTER your big ships knock some armor off. Then the small ships hit all hull and do max damage. With the difference in firing rate, it can really do some devastating damage. Mix fleets up with some nymphs and scales and claws.

The Scarab is effective again. Mostly. Use it. Kite your enemy and drop in front of him as he chases you down. Used to really give a torp cruiser hell with that one back in the day.

Remember you fight ICC and UGTO different.
ICC: spread damage out on different arcs. This minimizes the amount of energy that is available to the ICC ship to shunt to a single shield arc. If everyone hits one arc, he can shunt the energy of three shields to one arc. If you hit from two, he can really only either maintain one for a small few moments or neither for very long.

UGTO: Hit the all on same arc. If you see that projectiles arent doing any damage, cloak, slide up, uncloak, give him only flashlights until you get to the hull, then all weapons on him. Reverse that if they are using reflective.

Do not heal at planets. Heal in space with supplies or plats.

Do not EVER let the enemy know your numbers or location until you are ready to kill them. I always try to let the enemy know I am in the game (when I am K'Luth) by popping up on them and killing them. I NEVER want them to know my position or the number of our ships. Pop out of the shadow, strike, fade back into the shadows. Its guerrilla warfare. Its ninja fighting. UGTO and ICC use naval tactics (if they use anything at all). K'Luth use small unit ambush tactics and various sized traps. The cloak is an automatic Fog of War +95%.

Last but not least, if you decide to play Kluth, grow a thick skin. Dont let them sucker you out with talk of how cheap cloak is. Dont let them tick you off and make you make that stupid mistake.

Fact: You will only die when you are doing something stupid while your doing something stupid. (not a typo)

Proof: You have a cloak. Space is a large thing.

Class dismissed.

[ This Message was edited by: Azreal on 2010-02-19 22:22 ]

Email Azreal   Goto the website of Azreal
Xydes
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2010-02-20 02:40   
I am not gonna take sides here but, when you do get Luth flying away and we start complaining cuz we didn't get to kill you, is well (This is my opinion) we don't get to enjoy watching your beautiful Krill to blow up to smitherins.

But new ppl really should learn how to fly Luth ships.

Maybe a tutoriol on how to fly Luth, ICC and UGTO ships should be put in order?

Pakhos[+R]
Chief Marshal
Pitch Black

Posted: 2010-02-20 15:53   
Az explained more or less everything for kluth basics.

Now next step is to learn how to fly in wolf packs and use your wingman.

When you get use to your faction and it's players , becoming a wingman or playing in wolf packs comes in nature. Sometimes you even dont need to say who/how to kill ,when to decloak or when to jump.

But lets give Az another material to explain for the next class.

Sensas
Grand Admiral
Pitch Black

Posted: 2010-02-20 19:35   
Sorry for the long post...

A few important factors to take into account when playing kluth, especially against the UGTO that will more than likely keep your ship in one piece.

A lot of this applies to cruisers / dreadnaughts / stations, but can be adopted for smaller ships such as dessies. Numbers can mean power, but tactics will always wins eventually.

Your cloak only works if your signature is at 0.0 or below, both human factions will usually deploy sensor plats around a planet to deter most kluth players from attacking as the delay from uncloaking to actually being able to fire can be enough to get you killed.

When attacking an enemy fleet, predictibility will get you killed / found by most players, to play kluth effectively you have to be unpredictable in your escape. By not turning, you give the enemy an easy time getting hits on you, and most notibly is a major killer of inexperienced kluth pilots.

Keeping on the subject of escape, both factions will use ECCM to ping your ship out when they know kluth are around, this means they'll likely to atleast ping you once if their close (0 - 750 gu) and more likely to hit you the closer you are. If trying to escape a large target such as a dread, and your flying a smaller ship, simply flying under them to the other side can be a risky but very unpredictable move for the majority of players.

Another important factor when attacking an enemy fleet is as Az and everyone else pointed out in previous posts, working as a team is vital for any successful kluth, but not communicating your intentions with your fellow team mates is counter productive, and likely to cause a failed hit and run effort. This is extremely vital for any kluth player.

Planets; unlike the ICC & UGTO, kluth players do not even need a single planet to be effective, it helps if we do, but its easy to build a supply platform in a remote location.

In the current build, torps are essentially a waste of energy for the damage they put out, and you should put them to a high number to avoid using them; on a similiar note, unlike the other two factions, space bar smashing is likely to get you killed if you overdo it, our energy only lasts so long.

One important thing to think about if your trying kluth for the first time coming from ICC or UGTO, quit thinking like either of them factions, tried and tested, and ultimately proven that trying to adopt their tactics will get you killed, fast.

Your cloak is your only chances at survival, trying to be stupid and going after that small ship thats sitting under a multiple station / dreadnaught fleet is not going to yield much results, you might kill them, but your likely going to join your victim very fast and be dead yourself.

Don't be scared of 1 vs 1's, just remember that getting the jump on your enemy is vital, if your on their back arc, they have to turn to hit you, wasting valuable time for them, and dont keep on their back for too long, 2 alphas is enough before cloaking and escaping, you'll regret it if you don't.

For those who cant read more than a few lines (tl;dr version).

1. Watch out for your sig, its your timer delay for attacking after uncloaking.

2. Space bar mashing is not as good as doing it like ICC or UGTO, your cloak requires energy.

3. Don't apply ICC or UGTO tactics and expect the same results. It never happens like you'd expect.

4. Planets and Shipyards aren't everything, but they sure help.

5. Your energy is beyond important, read space bar mashing and avoid it unless you can risk it.

6. Don't fall for obvious bait targets! (no, seriously, its not funny and just shows you have little or no patience.)

7. Tactics are more useful for kluth than ugto or icc, where quantity can be far more better than quality, not the same for kluth as much, causing havoc can only need one or two players to stop a fleet from doing much.

8. Don't linger too long on an enemy, 2 alpha's is enough before your asking for a broadside to the face from the enemy.

This post is mostly aimed at the ICC and UGTO who come over to kluth every now and then thinking its a case of random hit and running, and then disappear quickly once they get smashed to debris because they expect everyone to follow them silently or that numbers > tactics, it happens FAR too often. If you want easy, ICC and UGTO will suit your needs, if you want a challange and teamplay beyond a basic level, Kluth will entertain you far more.
[ This Message was edited by: Sensas on 2010-02-20 19:36 ]
[ This Message was edited by: Sensas on 2010-02-20 19:39 ]

NoBoDx
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2010-02-21 05:16   
Quote:

On 2010-02-17 01:40, Kenny_Naboo wrote:
(sort of like a submarine making a few course changes after dropping off noisemakers)

i wish i had such decoys to bait others

Kenny_Naboo
Marshal
Pitch Black

Posted: 2010-02-21 05:42   

And don't fall prey to ICC or UGTO taunting you to come out of cloak and "fight them like a man".

You are not a man. You're an overgrown 4-armed lobster.

Let them trash talk you, and them hit them hard and cloak again. It infuriates them to no end.

And if you manage to hit-and-run 'em until they frustrated enough to log, then you win.

Kenny_Naboo
Marshal
Pitch Black

Posted: 2010-02-21 05:44   
Quote:

On 2010-02-21 05:16, NoBoDx wrote:
Quote:

On 2010-02-17 01:40, Kenny_Naboo wrote:
(sort of like a submarine making a few course changes after dropping off noisemakers)

i wish i had such decoys to bait others

I wish the Devs would implement decoys too.
It seems only logical for a race such as the K'Luth.

But anyway, you know that your ship takes time to cloak after you hit V. And during that few seconds, anyone targetting you will be sure to be firing and have a lead on you.

Make a few course changes as you cloak. Vary your speed while you're at it. Most likely, their weaps won't get anywhere near you.

NoBoDx
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2010-02-21 10:05   
most of the time, a sharp turn left (or right) before cloaking and an sharp turn to the other side while cloaking makes most bullets heading your way to miss you

about the decoys:
i want some "fake-signals" which ping every 10secs after dropping for about a minute or so

Kenny_Naboo
Marshal
Pitch Black

Posted: 2010-02-21 21:47   
Quote:

On 2010-02-21 10:05, NoBoDx wrote:
most of the time, a sharp turn left (or right) before cloaking and an sharp turn to the other side while cloaking makes most bullets heading your way to miss you

about the decoys:
i want some "fake-signals" which ping every 10secs after dropping for about a minute or so

Not just that. After your sig hits 0.0, it would be wise to make one more course correction. The enemy can still use dead reckoning to guess your location.

Also, instead of cloaking and breaking contact away from a superior force, you can also break contact INTO the enemy's group. If you get in between the enemy forces, they will find it hard to blind fire without hitting each other. Also, a superior force has the mentality that their prey is trying to run away from them, not into them.

Think like a submarine.....

The Super-Happy Fun Frigate
Ensign

Posted: 2010-04-11 18:37   
Having played Darkspace for a while now, here is much of what I have learned about the K'luth:

K'luth may have the weakest armor, but they compensate with having the strongest weapons of all the factions in addition to cloak. Disruptors, AS, AM torpedoes, AM mines, Psi Cannons, and SI, ect. ect, they all do the greatest damage compared to ICC and UGTO.

Just to clarify on PSI and SI (cause I know someone is going to say it), Psi Cannons are the most powerful of all the factions cannons. I have tested it several times over, and don't underestimate it. True it has shorter range and slower firing rate than the UGTO Particle Cannon or ICC Railgun, but is proven to have a minor damage increase over all cannons against armor and when it reaches the hull, just watch that hull percent drop en la masse and kiss the target goodbye! Now, the reason I say SI is the strongest of the core weapons is because of its high damage fluctuation. Though its min damage puts it at the lowest damage of the all the core weps, at max damage, it surpasses ICC's and UGTO's core weps by quite a margin.

As far as tactics go, K'luth are capable of going 1v1 on a ship and emerge victorious even without cloak. This, however, does depend on what ship you are fighting against. A stinger destroyer is capable of destroying an ICC cobat destroyer in uncloaked combat, but winning against an ICC cruiser in a stinger is unlikely (though you can get a hefty amount of damage on them before you have to jump away). Also, depending on your piloting skills and the type of ships you are fighting against, K'luth can, indeed, severely damage 2 stips with just one of their own. To clarify, in a 1 vs. 2 battle, 1 destroyer can severely damage 2 UGTO destroyers in an uncloaked fight. Note: this agressive fighting is not recommended for everyone, though (especially new players), for this requires good dodging skills but just to prove that K'luth are capable of making fairly decent stand-alone vessels.

However, as said before, K'luth are even stronger in numbers. Take 2 claw destroyers on virtually any target (except for perhaps stations and dreads), decloack, and the target wont know what hit 'em before it's too late.

If you have yourself a good planet or a supply plat out in space, chitonous armor is also very useful for those who use it effectively, making it even more tedious for the enemy to force you into a retreat all the while your're pounding them with the strongest weapons of all the factions. Never underestimate the strength of a k'uth. Boasting the greatest weapons damage, cloak, and fast ships makes them one of the most feared beings of darkspace.

Glaceon
Fleet Admiral

Posted: 2010-04-11 21:16   
what i noticed when im playing for or agised kluth that most of the time they pick of stragglers and those who try and flee they uncloak and hit them in the "red arc". they do this alot when ugto fights icc. they are like vutures waiting for one to weaken then they strike. usefull tactic even if ur alone (note dont atk something bigger than ur ship if ur a cruiser below exeption of scouts and the scarab).

NoBoDx
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2010-04-12 05:51   
Quote:

On 2010-04-11 21:16, Mal2103 {R33} wrote:
what i noticed when im playing for or agised kluth that most of the time they pick of stragglers and those who try and flee they uncloak and hit them in the "red arc". they do this alot when ugto fights icc. they are like vutures waiting for one to weaken then they strike. usefull tactic even if ur alone (note dont atk something bigger than ur ship if ur a cruiser below exeption of scouts and the scarab).

there is no point in attacking an enemy ship from the front, while the rear-armor is gone

apart from that:
its the fear that a luth-dread might decloak right behind you, which make the luth strong

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )
Page created in 0.024195 seconds.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024 Palestar Inc. All rights reserved worldwide.
Terms of use - DarkSpace is a Registered Trademark of PALESTAR