No kills today... yet.

Upcoming Events

- Weekly DarkSpace
05/04/24 +1.4 Days

Search

Anniversaries

No anniversaries today.

Social Media

Why not join us on Discord for a chat, or follow us on Twitter or Facebook for more information and fan updates?

Network

DarkSpace
DarkSpace - Beta
Palestar

[FAQ
Forum Index » » English (General) » » a message from some one whent AWOL.
 Author a message from some one whent AWOL.
Eledore Massis [R33]
Grand Admiral
Templar Knights

Posted: 2009-02-04 11:28   
Hello guys,

Sorry for that i could not have left a message that I'll be gone for a while so I will try to make up with this one.

I have been quite busy in Real Life. Mostly with work:
Either involving myself with the start of our own company or working for that company in several data centers, implementing new virtual hosting systems and updating there network topology. It has been quite a busy life that leaves very little time left to socialize on the web.
But because of all the work-stress, new surroundings and renewed co-workers, my life has changed quite a bit. my social life level hasn't reached this high in years. and with my decision to go find myself a house, i feel like i have been grown old without realizing it.

Ok with that out, How are you guys and how is DS holding up.
I noticed a lot of changes and that for a SINGLE month.. Dev's must be working to release updates every (REAL) "Two Weeks™" .
Wish i had the time to catch up, but i feel if i try, i will lose what i have gained in the last one and a half month.

chears, E.

Sixkiller
Marshal
Courageous Elite Commandos

Posted: 2009-02-04 11:48   
Gratz on your own company!
Will talk to you soon:)

Coeus
Grand Admiral
Sundered Weimeriners

Posted: 2009-02-04 21:55   
Hire me... get me the HELL OUT OF HERE!
Also, glad to see you didn't get dead

ICC Security Council Chief Enforcer

Email Coeus   Goto the website of Coeus
Eledore Massis [R33]
Grand Admiral
Templar Knights

Posted: 2009-02-18 20:06   
Had a little time to waste so i logged back in here..
First wanted to have a little more info on here but it became a whole lot more, so forgive me. Enjoy reading..
Quote:
On 2009-02-04 11:48, Sixkiller wrote:
Gratz on your own company!

It is not 100% my company. but still one fifth of it at least.

My last start-up of a company in 1997 i owned only 1/7th of it all. that was quite a lot for someone just 13 years old... (*1) with our first fusion in 1998 and with a lot fusions, buyouts and separations in the following years to the present we ended up with something that looked good.
A company that provided partial and full automatization to company's, owned several datafloors all over Belgium and parts in the Netherlands, it had its own R&D section for both electronics and IT, we where as close to the customers as to our equipment until...
Spring 2006 a fusion and separation that i still look back at as cutting of the good flesh and fusing the rest with evil. we splited off our electronics department and merged with a existing datacenter to cut back costs of our datacenter renting.
At this time i still owned 1/107th of it all and at that kind of level making a objection to management about a wrong decision, you don't get much leverage.

Just after the 2006 fusion i went back to school to get my university degree, this failed and when i got back i found hell.
Half the workforce where interns, i agree there ultra cheap but some lacked even the knowledge of what a router does.
So after half a year working full time in that kind of IT hell, i could not stand it any longer.

After almost a year of fuss with Administration about cutbacks on equipment, service and personnel. We started to hunt for decent people in the employee list.
In June 08 at the quarter evaluation, me and two other part owners made our say about wanting to cut ourselves out of the whole.
Lots of complaints came from it and as expected and they initially went for the "default" option to buying us out of the industry.
Prepared, we forced with the issue of this and last years service report from BIPT & OPTA(*2) and they understood that we already had lots of planning done.
Next up came a big surprise, even to us when BNIX(*3) said that they where not happy with the new suggested setup of our core network and if it was implemented they would cut the service af the first signs of trouble(*4). with that said we put our suggestion on the table a little sooner because of it and we where totally not prepared to have it accepted in November 08.
Next up was a real problem to get the required capital to guarantee the company split would happen. As we had planned that they would accept around march or April 09 we where not financially repaired for the split. However they didn't accept the full proposal and we are still battling about some parts. but we have a old partner(*5) who can financially back us up with a 0% loan if needed.
But with that all settled we started to make split preparations in December, most of it being physical work but some involved documents.(*6) We made the physical split on new years eve, it took about five hours to switch completely over but we made it in time to have our New Years and Official opening of our new company on the first minute of January 09.

We currently provide the core networking for our old company and provide advice and maintenance to the Internet connections of other company's that have services at our old company. Basically we provide all the communication.
Where currently however are still battling with our old company about the virtualization services. since VM-ware has only has given a R&D licence to a older company that is part of them, but we(*7) are the only one's that can maintain it and we have the qualifications of VM-ware to do independent R&D(*8).
So we battle in hope that we can still convince the company to sell them to us so we can maintain them and rent them back.

As said, i own one fifth of the company, should we be able to buy the clusters i would own one seventh, but with still one fifth of a voice.
Seeing this change from just being a employee that has to work with whatever management notices with more than 10% discount, to again selecting what you need and how you need.
we finally began to enjoy our work again, i personally haven't stopped working, coding, drawing, patching and testing. this has been going two full months already.

1. I indebted a fair amount of cash from a relative. I decided to invest it, and at the time a friend of the family needed a extra business partner. Imagine a bank employee, looking at me (13 years old) at the interview.
  2. BIPT & OPTA, Belgium & dutch "partial" equivalent of the FCC". they only regulate all parts of communication. (postal, telecom, mobile, broadband & Ethernet)
  3. BNIX: "Belgian National Internet eXchange" one of the two only Internet Exchanges in Belgium.
  4. Should have BNIX cut there services we would have been datacenters without Internet... seriously i laughed more than two hours after i read that e-mail. It was just what we needed especially when I rejected the new core network setup but the forced the issue because of the cheap costs.
  5. The old partner is a 79 year old geezer, that originally started with me and five others a electronics automatization firm. currently he still owns a shop that repairs jukeboxes.
  6. Think i made over 400 hours in the month of December. but we agreed to have the same pay as November, while we worked for ourselves to make the physical split.
  7. "we". Myself, and four other co-workers that developed the virtual host clusters and maintained it over the times. currently three of us remain and we transferred with the split.
  8. Ok, officially I'm not qualified for VM-Ware, but i did develop the networking structure to support the cluster. witch earned me VM-ware R&D access.

Quote:
on 2009-02-04 21:55, Coeus wrote:
Hire me... get me the HELL OUT OF HERE!

Hmm gimme your qualifications and if your are what where looking for, we will hire you.
Temporary lodging can be provided in the form of a full datafloor (40 by 32 feet), just don't do stuff that smells and makes the whole datacenter stink.
o p.s. If you have the right qualifications we might be able to pay for your trip to here, just your plane tickets however not all your belongings...

[Edit]
Need a Preview Button!..
I really am making a mess of this, best i can do with a post button & notepad++

forgot something...

[ This Message was edited by: Eledore[NL] on 2009-02-18 21:01 ]

Coeus
Grand Admiral
Sundered Weimeriners

Posted: 2009-02-18 20:30   
Get back to ya after I finish my degree

ICC Security Council Chief Enforcer

Email Coeus   Goto the website of Coeus
Page created in 0.016898 seconds.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024 Palestar Inc. All rights reserved worldwide.
Terms of use - DarkSpace is a Registered Trademark of PALESTAR