No kills today... yet.

Upcoming Events

- Weekly DarkSpace
05/11/24 +5.4 Days

Search

Anniversaries

15th - Rise

Social Media

Why not join us on Discord for a chat, or follow us on Twitter or Facebook for more information and fan updates?

Network

DarkSpace
DarkSpace - Beta
Palestar

[FAQ
Forum Index » » Soap Box » » Windows 7
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
 Author Windows 7
Leonide
Grand Admiral
Templar Knights

Posted: 2009-01-13 17:01   
Quote:

On 2009-01-13 14:59, BackSlash *Jack* wrote:
Fake. There is no Windows 7 Ultimate, and the taskbar is completely wrong.

the taskbar is fake, but it IS labeled Windows 7 ultimate.

captain of the ICC Assault Cruiser C.S.S. Sledgehammer

Email Leonide
Tael
2nd Rear Admiral
Palestar

Posted: 2009-01-13 17:23   
We've gone over all this before...

Remember, the Beta's are NOT the final shipping versions... Thats what RC1 and RC2 are for... We have not seen the full Windows 7 yet. We are seeing and playing with very stripped down versions.

Windows Vista was kernel 6
Windows 7 is kernel 6.1 (just a simple point rev)

Same thing went around during the Vista beta's. Several ran decent, then the RTG version hit and all the complaints started.

Before Windows 7 goes to release Microsoft will, as the always do, drop in a ton of unnecessary bloat that will dramatically slow it down again.

Some of its "speed" improvements are actually illusions. It goes into suspend mode instead of actually powering off, and is tweak to show the desktop long before the system is actually fully booted up.

It will still suffer from the same issues plaguing Vista when it comes to hardware drivers and support. Also meaning programs that wont run on Vista still wont run on Windows 7. Meaning many companys and government organizations will still refuse to switch to it after it comes out.

Vista also DROVE many people to other platforms...

Another note of irony is that Microsoft hopes to lure people back... Yet you can only download the beta if you have Windows XP or Vista and IE 6.1 or 7 installed on your computer. In hopes of luring tech savy guys that switched to Linux or Mac, wouldn't you think they'd want to make the download available to the widest possible target group instead of limiting it?

XP was give another reprieve for six more months... This is its fourth extention after the release of Vista because Corporate clients refuse Vista. Win7 promises more of the same to them.

I dont hold much hope for Win7...

On a side note, about the Direct Sound fiasco... People with Creative Labs sound cards that found their cards dont fully work under Vista were doublely burned when a hacker found out that those claims were simply untrue and found where Creative purposely crippled their own drivers in code to force people to buy new hardware and then claimed it was Microsofts fault. The irony is, by making available his fixed drivers, many older cards were also found to support the new features without issue. Any mention of this saw the commentors banned from the Creative Lab forums and Creative sued the hacker that made their cards worked as they were marketted...

Email Tael
MrSparkle
Marshal

Posted: 2009-01-13 19:12   
How did this hacker get Vista to support directsound? It's not a driver issue. Doesn't matter what drive I use, I'd still get lousy sound quality in my games compared to XP unless I used ALchemy.

I'm reading about it right now. Seems it affects Audigy owners, who are getting crippled drivers in an effort to get them to buy X-Fi cards. That's enough to make me never buy a Creative product again, especially considering they admitted to it and defended it as a business decision, but it doesn't solve the fact that my current games would still sound like crap with Vista compared to how they sound now with my perfectly capable XP.

Looks like my next sound card might be an Asus
[ This Message was edited by: MrSparkle on 2009-01-13 19:50 ]

UnknownWarrior
Grand Admiral
Raven Warriors

Posted: 2009-01-13 20:34   
I have to agree with Tael. Windows 7 Beta is stripped down...If they say its going to do what they say its gonna do and be so much better than vista than great. But if its gonna start out like vista did I'll stick with my Vista SP2.

But as for now the Beta seems to be working flawlessly thus far. Just an issue with my Daemon Tools but neh, no biggy. Everything else works fine.

Email UnknownWarrior
BackSlash
Marshal
Galactic Navy

Posted: 2009-01-14 03:05   
Tael's right, but that kernal point increase is very important to note.

They've completely re-written, from the ground up, explorer. For thos who don't know, explorer is the kernal shell for Windows. It runs the taskbar, manages the system tray, updates program status (in some cases), and anytime you open a window to browse your computer - you're using it.

Most of the notable speed increases are from the complete re-write of that.
Very welcome, but only time will tell if it's the saving grace.

Ham&Swiss
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2009-01-14 03:57   
I dunno, either way, I think i'll still stick with Vista SP2. I finally got this thing down to a point where i'm comfortable using it, settings are just right, programs the way i like em and everything is just peachy.

But i wonder how this'll turn out...

H&S

Pegasus
Grand Admiral
Pitch Black

Posted: 2009-01-14 06:00   
Been testing it at Oxford University where I work and the IT university crowd so far seem to be happy with whats been done. Adding network printers properly via tcp/ip is better and there is a nice network map which is useful.
It certainly an improvement over vista but time will tell.

-Daedalus-
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2009-01-14 12:27   
The only thing that irks me is the LACK of the drivers. I've had 2 computers that are only about 2-3 years old and none of the drivers are in Windows 7 for them.

Even my laptop which is 2.5 years old none of the drivers are in there.

Supertrooper
Marshal
Pitch Black

Posted: 2009-01-14 12:45   
As for some drivers not working with Windows 7, I've found out that a few that didn't work with Vista work with Windows 7.

I've got a TV Tuner card that never worked with Vista, decided to try it out with Windows 7, and it worked. Didn't even have to set compatability.

As for the 'It's just like every other beta', I think Microsoft might have learned abit from Vista, and as Jack said, rewrote some of the things that where causing problems. While there are still problems, and it is stripped down, it runs alot smoother then both XP and Vista for me.

Email Supertrooper
Tael
2nd Rear Admiral
Palestar

Posted: 2009-01-14 14:21   
Another thing people are forgetting this time around is that Vista came out a while ago... Computers have gotten faster since then... So of course thats going to improve some of the base scores for Win7 too.

How much of the performance gain is really from the OS (which is stripped down just for beta) and how much is from the fact the computers running it are on average two or three times faster than those running Vista on its debute.

Email Tael
Supertrooper
Marshal
Pitch Black

Posted: 2009-01-14 16:15   
Well, was running Vista on the same computer I'm using, have been since it came out. And Windows 7 has been faster in almost everything..

Email Supertrooper
BackSlash
Marshal
Galactic Navy

Posted: 2009-01-14 21:12   
A lot of it's "feels faster" factor has to do with just explorer being re-writen (as I said earlier).

Kaganader
Vice Admiral
Lethal Assault Group

Posted: 2009-01-15 02:06   
Quote:

On 2009-01-14 21:12, BackSlash *Jack* wrote:
A lot of it's "feels faster" factor has to do with just explorer being re-writen (as I said earlier).

Jack is just loving the new kernel ain't he?
I gotta admit, I'm currently using 64bit on one of my test rigs and so far I haven't noticed any HUGE problems except for some of my ISO tools are giving me some compatibility problems.

I haven't really gone messing with it but its working great for this version I have.

Challenger
Marshal

Posted: 2009-01-15 09:50   
I am happy with my XP pro...... if its not broke dont fix it.

Just a point of view from someone who doesnt care about new toys.

-Chall

Email Challenger
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
Page created in 0.025534 seconds.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024 Palestar Inc. All rights reserved worldwide.
Terms of use - DarkSpace is a Registered Trademark of PALESTAR