No kills today... yet.

Upcoming Events

- Weekly DarkSpace
04/27/24 +6.2 Hours

Search

Anniversaries

No anniversaries today.

Social Media

Why not join us on Discord for a chat, or follow us on Twitter or Facebook for more information and fan updates?

Network

DarkSpace
DarkSpace - Beta
Palestar

[FAQ
Forum Index » » English (General) » » The Great Procyon Turkey Shoot
 Author The Great Procyon Turkey Shoot
Jim Starluck
Marshal
Templar Knights

Posted: 2009-01-02 06:35   
Although that's not quite accurate.

Last night/this morning myself, Enterprise, Sardaukar, Polaris, Rinkhals, DocZ and a few others launched our offensive into the MIR-held Procyon system, having already secured an ICC beachhead in Epsilon Caranie Aa after many hours of grueling combat against both the MIR and the K'luth.

We set as our main goal the capture of the moons of the outermost world, Procyon 13: Lesis and Liusi, the former a Terran Shipyard world and the latter a Barren neighbor. Enterprise was in overall command at the core of our fleet in his Line Station, while Polaris, Rink and I provided cover in our Combat Dreads. Sardaukar was to assist in the capture efforts in his bomber-toting Carrier-Cruiser, DocZ was an exceptionally dedicated supply, and the others provide miscellaneous backup.

Unfortunately, the MIR were... swarming. As we exited Ent's wormhole and began our approach to Liusi--our first target--they began to respond. In ones and twos at first, but then in wave after wave of cruisers and dreadnoughts. We singled out one Dread at a time for hammering into withdrawing or destruction, doing so repeatedly while they made their attack runs on the Station and while Legion Cruisers nipped at our heels. In support of their forces, not one Nexus but TWO of the gigantic battle-stations arrived shortly. We took down both of them, drove off or killed Dread after Dread, but the steady attacks of the Cruisers began to wear all of us down.

Eventually, we broke off and retreated, all of our ships nursing their wounds. Sardaukar alone remained behind, handily evading the enemy in his Carrier and launching harrasing bomber strikes. The machines set up in relentless pursuit of him, while the rest of us regrouped at the jumpgate and evaluated our options.

We selected a new target, Luminity, an Arid world further in-system that had depleted troop levels. We had considered it during our initial target selection, but the securing of a Shipyard was more vital. Now, however, Luminity would provide a staging ground for a second attack.

While Sardaukar kept the enemy's attention focused on himself, the rest of us turned inwards and drove towards Luminity. It took some time and we had to fend off lighter Legion forces, but Enterprise's bombers managed to crack the planet's defenses and we began to occupy.

Unfortunately, by that point the fleet in the outer system finally managed to catch up with Sard and he was forced to jump away, leaving them no longer distracted. Within minutes they were coming at Luminity in progressively greater and greater numbers, but we managed to drive them off.

As we caught our breath from the latest attack, we lost some ships to departing players. Particularly noteworthy was Polaris, leaving Rinks and myself as the sole dedicated combatants. Eventually we repaired and re-armed and determined to try again, we headed back out to hit Liusi once more.

Enterprise, Rinks, DocZ and I headed for the smaller moon, while Sard and some of the others were attempting to organize a Transport rush on Lesis, since it had no defense bases and regular infantry. While they attempted to coordinate, we began fighting off progressively larger and larger MIR forces. My dreadnought took heavy damage and, with a large number of enemy dreads and cruisers pursuing me, I turned to flee, DocZ bravely tucked alongside, repairing as we went.

However, I did not jump away. If I did so the enemy would either pursue and destroy me with ease, or turn their wrath against Enterprise, totally foiling his bombing attacks on Liusi's defenses and compromising the entire mission. So I simply opened up the throttle to maximum and led the bulk of the MIR fleet on a merry chase, heading away from Liusi and into open space while Rinks and Enterprise dealt with what few ships remained focused on them.

Meanwhile, Enterprise managed to take out most of the infantry on Liusi, but the operational defense bases foiled attempts at landing troops. He then worked on bombing the defenders off of Lesis, with much more success. In short order, the primary objective was ours and it remained only to secure the other nearby world... and of course deal with the huge enemy fleet, most of which was behind me.

Intending to not get too seperated from the others, I began a gradual turn back towards the system, slowly circling back around. By the time I completed one full circuit and wound up cruising past Lesis--now ours--DocZ had nearly fully repaired me and broke off to reload his drones and assist the others. I managed to keep the enemy's attention and, as I headed back out for the second lap, began attempting to make very short jumps--long enough to pull away from the Cruisers that were slowly gaining, but not far enough to cause the enemy to stop pursuing or to jump after me.

I was only partly successful with the latter; the enemy Dreads did wind up jumping after me, but since their only armament consisted of beams and torpedoes, they wound up just outside weapons range and unable to close. A series of such jumps carried me around the circuit much quicker than before, and this time I had a plan to literally scrape some of my pursuit off.

Instead of cutting between Lesis and Procyon 13 again, I instead opted for a longer trip around the outside of the gas giant. I jumped carefully to get the enemy bunched up, not too far behind me, and cut my turn around the Procy 13 as close as I dared. As I rounded the far side and came back in sunwards of Lesis, heading for Liusi (which we also now owned, as its defenses had finally been brought down and Sardaukar had successfully invaded)... my plan paid off.

At least eight, possibly more MIR Dreadnoughts plowed into the surface of Procyon 13 as they attempted to follow my tight turn. I think a couple of Cruisers might've bit the dust as well, but most of the Dreads were definitely dead in one fell swoop. I finally slowed to a stop and we were able to easily deal with the remainder. It was the single most decisive (and hilarious) moment of the evening.

After some more fighting, Sardaukar and Rinkhals pursued a critically damaged Nexus in-system, only to run right into a fleet of Dreads. DocZ went after them to help, but Sard's Missile Dread either sustained critical damage or was destroyed (I wasn't paying complete attention; one of our other players had ran off with an Improved Armor Upgrade that I had earned in the massive planet collision but hadn't enough room in cargo for, so it wound up dumped in space. Naturally I was rather annoyed). Rinks eventually managed to take out the Nexus and then flee back to our new base, but DocZ for some reason did not follow.

Instead, he too began to lead the MIR armada on a merry chase as I had before, stringing out an even larger number of cruisers and dreads and a second Nexus as well. As his course took him near one of the two moonless gas giants, we suggested he try my trick again.

Which he did.

And it worked beautifully. AGAIN.

The bulk of the second MIR fleet plowed into the planet, leaving only a single Cruiser for me to dispatch as I circled around the far side, while Enterprise, Sardaukar and Rinkhals took out the Nexus in a well-coordinated Missile Dread attack. After that we pretty much called it a night, with Sardaukar remaining behind to fix up the planets so the MIR would not simply retake them while we slept.

In two simple maneuvers we managed to destroy more MIR ships than most player-farming fleets destroy in half an hour's worth of fighting in Kaus Borealis. Despite massive enemy numerical superiority, we survived with minimal losses (not I, nor Rinkhals, Polaris, Enterprise or DocZ ever died) and secure a vital new foothold in enemy territory.

I would especially like to commend DocZ for his tireless and dedicated supply work; far too often such brilliant service goes overlooked and underappreciated, but I for one was very greatful--only rarely did us Combat Dreads ever want for ammo, and his repairs kept us and Enterprise alive when otherwise we would have been destroyed many times over. Even when I was tearing out alone, a horde of enemies nipping at my heels, he stayed alongside and maneuvered to stay out of my line of fire while using my tougher defenses as a shield against the few Cruisers that tried to attack him. If players could award badges for distinguished service, I'd give him the Gold Supply right now.

To everyone who fought in Procyon (except the jerk who ran off with my Improved Armor, and he knows who he is), it was my distinct honor to fight with you and I look forward to future operations together.

Email Jim Starluck
Meko
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2009-01-02 07:45   
nice after action write up =)

Email Meko
Shigernafy
Admiral

Posted: 2009-01-02 08:43   
Well done, and well written!

Email Shigernafy
BackSlash
Marshal
Galactic Navy

Posted: 2009-01-02 10:36   
Jim for win!

0stego
Fleet Admiral
United Armed Corps

Posted: 2009-01-02 10:52   
Sounds like a very epic battle, good job sending those MI back into the stardust.

Goto the website of 0stego
Lux (Polaris)
Fleet Admiral
Raven Warriors

Posted: 2009-01-02 11:05   
Good write up...
And awesome battle.

Loyal Admiral of the Interstellar Cultural Confederation Navy.
Senior Commander of the Raven Warriors, the ICC elite.
Captain of the Assault Dreadnaught \"Gungnir\"

Email Lux (Polaris)
Poopshackles
Admiral

Posted: 2009-01-02 18:43   
Wow impressed, good in-game work and nice follow up. Congrats you have earned the time it took me to read that.

Please post more.

SoL Badguy *Monster Energy*
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2009-01-02 18:55   
Wow, thats very good. Keep feeding us, we want moar *drools*

Email SoL Badguy *Monster Energy*
Veronw
Marshal

Posted: 2009-01-02 20:28   
*notices how the brave defenders of danae are not mentioned and grumbles*

Fattierob
Vice Admiral

Posted: 2009-01-02 20:47   
Quote:

On 2009-01-02 06:35, Jim Starluck wrote:
If players could award badges for distinguished service

Best idea ever. Date and time, along with reason. admin/mod approved.

Meko
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2009-01-02 23:48   
Quote:

On 2009-01-02 20:28, Veronw wrote:
*notices how the brave defenders of danae are not mentioned and grumbles*

he only mentioned things that had an affect on anything....

Quote:
Best idea ever. Date and time, along with reason. admin/mod approved.

^ This

Email Meko
Sardaukar
Admiral
Raven Warriors

Posted: 2009-01-03 02:49   
We'll need to do an AAR of the battle for the foothold in Epsilon Caranie Aa as well, for it was just as epic- the Siege of Thetis. Our fleet, kitted and briefed for a rapid assault to glass the surface of Thetis II and seize it as a springboard for Thetis I and III, was prepared for the five Mi Longheads and the Mi Nexus at the cluster. What we weren't prepared for were the four other Longheads that jumped in as we did, nor the dozens of dreads and cruisers to follow, and we soon found ourselves in an hour-long battle royale against the full might of the machines. Even as we swept aside dreadnought after dreadnought, we found ourselves gaining no ground in the siege, as every structure destroyed was quickly replaced by one of the countless swift Mi Assemblers that would break through the fray to orbit Thetis II.

Eventually, we found ourselves in a frantic but workable state as we fended off Mi defenders, glassed the surface of Thetis II, and intercepted the swift engineers who tried to repair it, with ships diving in and out of each role as their location dictated necessary, calling out primary Dread targets and alerting the cruisers to inbound assemblers.

Supertrooper
Marshal
Pitch Black

Posted: 2009-01-03 05:12   
Quote:

On 2009-01-03 02:49, Sardaukar wrote:
We'll need to do an AAR of the battle for the foothold in Epsilon Caranie Aa as well, for it was just as epic- the Siege of Thetis. Our fleet, kitted and briefed for a rapid assault to glass the surface of Thetis II and seize it as a springboard for Thetis I and III, was prepared for the five Mi Longheads and the Mi Nexus at the cluster. What we weren't prepared for were the four other Longheads that jumped in as we did, nor the dozens of dreads and cruisers to follow, and we soon found ourselves in an hour-long battle royale against the full might of the machines. Even as we swept aside dreadnought after dreadnought, we found ourselves gaining no ground in the siege, as every structure destroyed was quickly replaced by one of the countless swift Mi Assemblers that would break through the fray to orbit Thetis II.

Eventually, we found ourselves in a frantic but workable state as we fended off Mi defenders, glassed the surface of Thetis II, and intercepted the swift engineers who tried to repair it, with ships diving in and out of each role as their location dictated necessary, calling out primary Dread targets and alerting the cruisers to inbound assemblers.

You failed to mention my several epic standoffs in a Line Station against Nexus's.

Let's just say a few of them where burned by the experience.

Email Supertrooper
Coeus
Grand Admiral
Sundered Weimeriners

Posted: 2009-01-03 16:04   
Hehe... I killed Jim

ICC Security Council Chief Enforcer

Email Coeus   Goto the website of Coeus
Sardaukar
Admiral
Raven Warriors

Posted: 2009-01-03 22:36   
Oh, yeah, that was awesome. Nexus coming... and bamf, gone with the WH.

Page created in 0.021674 seconds.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024 Palestar Inc. All rights reserved worldwide.
Terms of use - DarkSpace is a Registered Trademark of PALESTAR