No kills today... yet.

Upcoming Events

- Weekly DarkSpace
04/27/24 +3.3 Hours

Search

Anniversaries

No anniversaries today.

Social Media

Why not join us on Discord for a chat, or follow us on Twitter or Facebook for more information and fan updates?

Network

DarkSpace
DarkSpace - Beta
Palestar

[FAQ
Forum Index » » English (General) » » Feedback on AI Ships
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
 Author Feedback on AI Ships
Jim Starluck
Marshal
Templar Knights

Posted: 2008-12-20 02:16   
The Devs could probably use some of this, guys, since they only got a moderate amount of testing in beta.

In practice, the AI Ships are certainly quite helpful. Within minutes of the servers re-starting, they were out capturing and building planets and fighting off Pirate attacks (at least in the ICC home territories). I fully expect that once the servers are stable for awhile the whole MV will become fully populated overnight.

Action is immediately available when a player logs on, since the AI ships are constantly fighting each other and attempting to expand the faction's territory--including the Pirates and the MI.

That said, there are some areas that I think could use some tweaking.

First off, I noticed in Beta that our planets routinely ran low on troops, because the AI Transports were constantly grabbing them to race off and try and capture a planet. The AI Engineers should probably have a slightly greater emphasis placed on barracks construction to support them better.

Speaking of the Engineers, I'd like to see them build different planets differently. Habitable worlds--especially Terran and Ocean--should get high tech and possibly Shipyards. Barren planets should have a greater emphasis on mining, with only basic defenses. Maybe they could use Ice or Arid for repair bases or something.

And it would be nifty if AI Transports, when they're not busy trying to capture planets, could reload friendly Platforms. Maybe add in a group of AI Extractors which mine resources from a planet (preferably a neutral one), and then when they're full go and load up a few Platforms. That latter one would reduce the speed at which it happens, so that only a certain number of platforms get automatically sustained (preventing massive platform spam fortresses from lasting without active player support), and it would prevent this from draining planets dry of their resources.

When a large group of AI ships is moving together, they tend to get clumped together, which leads to lots of friendly fire. I watched a bunch of them attack a Pirate Station and they wound up killing each other more than it. When they're ordered to Defend a friendly ship, they should probably use Shadow instead of Follow, in order to have their formations spaced out more.

They could also probably use a minimum buffer distance from other friendly ships, so that they don't wind up killing each other en masse. They might even need minimum distance settings for enemy ships; I've seen a bunch of AI ships attacking a Pirate Station, then all get killed when it finally dies because they were sitting right next to it.

Oh, and if this isn't already in effect (I didn't go there to check), AI ships in the Newbie server should be limited to Cruisers at most, since it's the kiddie pool area.

Finally, I think their names could be a little more interesting. Instead of ICC Cruiser VI or UGTO Destroyer XIX or other such bland names like that, give them actual names and then a hull number. For example:

USS Intrepid (SC-13) --- UGTO Scout
ISS Yeager (FF-27) --- ICC Frigate

And so on. A faction-specific prefix (USS, ISS, etc.), a random name not currently in use (you'd have a list of generic names--if you want, you could have each faction name some of their ships after a planet in their home territories--we named ships after cities and states, after all), and a number simlar to the Roman Numerals they currently have, which just counts off how many ships of that type have been spawned.

I'm not sure what kind of faction prefix K'luth or MI ships would have, but they could very well have entirely different naming conventions. For ICC, UGTO and Pirate ships--since they're all human-built--the hull number codes could go like so:

Scout: SC
Frigate: FF
Destroyer: DD
Cruiser: CA or BC (ICC and UGTO respectively, dunno about Pirates--maybe CL)
Dreadnought: DN
Station: ST

Transport: TS
Supply: SS
Engineer: ES

It'd add a bit more flavor to a universe that has just come that much more alive, now that it's populated 24/7.

Overall, I'm more optimistic about this addition than I was the other day. Seeing the Metaverse actually come to life all on its own is really something.

Email Jim Starluck
little_chaoz(affe force)
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2008-12-20 02:24   
Yeah i concur with the ship naming, probly add a name script that pulls out random names + hull number based on ship size?

Isaac Asimov

Email little_chaoz(affe force)
BackSlash
Marshal
Galactic Navy

Posted: 2008-12-20 03:30   
Any and all feedback is greatly appreciated, and required.

Thanks guys.

Leonide
Grand Admiral
Templar Knights

Posted: 2008-12-20 03:35   
i love the AI. on the UGTO side, they were all fighting the pirates, and actually building. i was impressed. i also cuncur about the names. and could we possibly name our ships? maybe? please?

captain of the ICC Assault Cruiser C.S.S. Sledgehammer

Email Leonide
SoL Badguy *Monster Energy*
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2008-12-20 05:24   
Noticed something "funny".
I went in MV to see how this new verion was.

I spawned a HC which was already damaged so I sent a distress for supply. AI supply ship actually came and started fixing my ship, but like 10 seconds later or so Pirate Station comes thru the gate so... lets go kill it.

When I started moving, the supply ship was following me, but not repairing. So I sent another distress for supply and it started repairing me again.

When I jumped near the Pirate Station the AI supply was just going straight. Check it, and it still had its order to supply me.
Anyway... started shooting the station and after a while my hull started dropping. AI supply was way behind me, so I sent yet another distress for supply (even though my ship wasnt fully repaired since I spawned it), AI supply jumped near and started fixing me.

After that I see Mephiblo bombing so I went there to defend. He jumps away after we're both hulled so its time for repairs. Again with the distress, AI supply comes and starts repairing.
While its doing the repairs, another Pirate Station spawns so off to that fight. Made a jump, went thru the gate and started pressing space bar, and this time the AI followed me and was still repairing the ship.
How come it didnt do that the 1st time?

Email SoL Badguy *Monster Energy*
Mersenne Twister
Fleet Admiral

Posted: 2008-12-20 10:20   
Quote:

On 2008-12-20 02:16, Jim Starluck wrote:
First off, I noticed in Beta that our planets routinely ran low on troops, because the AI Transports were constantly grabbing them to race off and try and capture a planet. The AI Engineers should probably have a slightly greater emphasis placed on barracks construction to support them better.

Speaking of the Engineers, I'd like to see them build different planets differently. Habitable worlds--especially Terran and Ocean--should get high tech and possibly Shipyards. Barren planets should have a greater emphasis on mining, with only basic defenses. Maybe they could use Ice or Arid for repair bases or something.

build more barracks. at the risk of contradiction, the AI are there to supplement/augment human players, not replace them. they arent perfect, and with some in-built flaws, wont be.

And it would be nifty if AI Transports, when they're not busy trying to capture planets, could reload friendly Platforms.

this is another player-required maintenance task

Oh, and if this isn't already in effect (I didn't go there to check), AI ships in the Newbie server should be limited to Cruisers at most, since it's the kiddie pool area.

dessies would be better

Finally, I think their names could be a little more interesting. Instead of ICC Cruiser VI or UGTO Destroyer XIX or other such bland names like that, give them actual names and then a hull number. For example:

USS Intrepid (SC-13) --- UGTO Scout
ISS Yeager (FF-27) --- ICC Frigate

And so on. A faction-specific prefix (USS, ISS, etc.), a random name not currently in use (you'd have a list of generic names--if you want, you could have each faction name some of their ships after a planet in their home territories--we named ships after cities and states, after all), and a number simlar to the Roman Numerals they currently have, which just counts off how many ships of that type have been spawned.

that one i like. and its actually UWS and CSS for ugto and icc respectivly, kluth tho, dont have one

I'm not sure what kind of faction prefix K'luth or MI ships would have, but they could very well have entirely different naming conventions. For ICC, UGTO and Pirate ships--since they're all human-built--the hull number codes could go like so:

Scout: SC
Frigate: FF
Destroyer: DD
Cruiser: CA or BC (ICC and UGTO respectively, dunno about Pirates--maybe CL)
Dreadnought: DN
Station: ST

Transport: TS
Supply: SS
Engineer: ES

It'd add a bit more flavor to a universe that has just come that much more alive, now that it's populated 24/7.

I wouldn't screw with it if I were you. The doctor already holds you in poor favor. Messing with this might really fry his shorts.

SaturnShadow™ *FC*(Angel Of Darkness)
Marshal
*Renegade Space Marines*

Posted: 2008-12-20 13:16   
ok when i logged on 2 day i was thinking wat the update was so went in the MV and was stunned to see that DS are now using AI ships and i mean ur using ALL of them ..... i mean the ugto had their ass corvs bomber frigs gunboat destroyer battle crusiers and such same with the ICC and kluth....now i went in and saw some MI ships so ugto took a attack force to engage them, we went thru the gate and there they were just flying in circles, now that wasnt the worst part as the worst part was they didnt attack us, so all they did was fly in circles, now they had a force of 5 dreads a cruiser and a supply and yes it took a long time to kill them but by the time we took out half the force the ugto should of had ships on low armor and hull and running, so thats one thing that needs changing apart from that i think this is a brilliant IDEA its defenatly gonna encourage ppl to come play AND subcribe another thing is that u should create names for the AI ships....

Jim Starluck
Marshal
Templar Knights

Posted: 2008-12-20 13:26   
Quote:

On 2008-12-20 10:20, Mersenne Twister wrote:
build more barracks. at the risk of contradiction, the AI are there to supplement/augment human players, not replace them. they arent perfect, and with some in-built flaws, wont be.

Yeah, but in Beta the other night the Transports had drained every planet of troops, leaving them easy to capture. So if they're left to their own devices, we wind up with planets any player can steamroll.

Quote:
this is another player-required maintenance task

I wasn't looking to have them completely replace players doing the job, just supplement them, like you said. They'd only auto-maintain a very limited number of platforms, much fewer than could actually be built.

Email Jim Starluck
Winters Rapture
Fleet Admiral
United Nations Space Command

Posted: 2008-12-20 14:09   
sense everything i could say about how cool these new AI additions are, all i really haft to say now is that i am impressed, intregued, and my intrest for the game has been reawoken.

but i had noticed that when the AI ships did enter combat around a planet, they would have a very modeate chance of getting to know the planet a little to well and face-planting it. might wanna cheak that out.

Other then that, Great Job!

Redemption (Angel of Light)
Grand Admiral
Interstellar Cultural Confederation United

Posted: 2008-12-20 16:30   
One word....... EPIC

Ai are smart and difficult which means pres gain is equal to the amount you will lose to them owning you. and now you can guarantee you will get help and sups with the friendly ai also

Email Redemption (Angel of Light)   Goto the website of Redemption (Angel of Light)
LAG
Marshal
Lethal Assault Group

Posted: 2008-12-21 07:34   
@ Mersenne Twister

Always wondered what the point was to posting a quote with no comment? What's the point? Tends to leave that general "WTF" taste on the flavor-meter. Just curious?

BTW... AI's are improved!!!!!

Although:
Transport actions are predictable. A random (expanded) path script to include more variation would be more challenging (and YES, I realize it involves more coding).

Are there any thoughts regarding AI corvettes? Entertain the newbies (and me, lol)?

BackSlash
Marshal
Galactic Navy

Posted: 2008-12-21 07:36   
Quote:

On 2008-12-21 07:34, LAG wrote:
@ Mersenne Twister

Always wondered what the point was to posting a quote with no comment? What's the point? Tends to leave that general "WTF" taste on the flavor-meter. Just curious?

BTW... AI's are improved!!!!!

Although:
Transport actions are predictable. A random (expanded) path script to include more variation would be more challenging (and YES, I realize it involves more coding).

Are there any thoughts regarding AI corvettes? Entertain the newbies (and me, lol)?

Other than you proving that you don't read posts...
And that you havn't been in-game much...

There are loads of scouts and their orders are to, shockingly, scout out enemy planets.

Abbot
Chief Marshal
*Renegade Space Marines*

Posted: 2008-12-21 08:11   
i will be honest and say i was about to quit this game but after playing last night i have to say what a brilliant addition the AI is to the game and will surely pull in more players. WELL DONE

Delando
Marshal

Posted: 2008-12-21 08:41   
two words, LUV IT!!!

0stego
Fleet Admiral
United Armed Corps

Posted: 2008-12-21 11:16   
I notice a lot of the cruisers, dessies ext. if they have nothing to attack or engage that just sit in a system and fly in circles. Maybe this could be solved by making them patrol from system to system until there’s something to engage . Other then that I LOVE the new AI's it will be a great lure for new players, altho I have yet to see any Pirates or MIR's attack. *nm there all in Sagittarius*

[ This Message was edited by: 0stego (Recruiting) on 2008-12-21 12:51 ]

Goto the website of 0stego
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
Page created in 0.032002 seconds.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024 Palestar Inc. All rights reserved worldwide.
Terms of use - DarkSpace is a Registered Trademark of PALESTAR