No kills today... yet.

Upcoming Events

- Weekly DarkSpace
04/27/24 +8.1 Hours

Search

Anniversaries

No anniversaries today.

Social Media

Why not join us on Discord for a chat, or follow us on Twitter or Facebook for more information and fan updates?

Network

DarkSpace
DarkSpace - Beta
Palestar

[FAQ
Forum Index » » English (General) » » What's Going ON!!!
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
 Author What's Going ON!!!
x_KiLLa_x
Chief Marshal

Posted: 2008-12-17 18:59   
Whats up with Darkspace? I see only 1 person online at the moment which is causing me to hesitate about resubbing to a community which hate's on oldschool vet's such as myself to much envy from the little guy's.

Like to send a shout out to Pakhos,Nukey,Vampire,XpLixit and other cool players of this Darkspace era. Well hope all is well and sen you the best of wish's miss flying my Krill !! :..(

Email x_KiLLa_x   Goto the website of x_KiLLa_x
-RevenG-

Raven Warriors

Posted: 2008-12-17 19:13   
People are at work or sleeping probably!

JBud
Marshal

Posted: 2008-12-17 20:30   
DUDE i could totally tell by the title that this was a KiLLa post

Email JBud   Goto the website of JBud
x_KiLLa_x
Chief Marshal

Posted: 2008-12-17 20:40   
Good observation my young Jedi !

deathblave
Marshal

Posted: 2008-12-17 20:41   
more people play beta now days

Email deathblave
[2006] - Codex09
Admiral

Posted: 2008-12-17 21:21   

Hmmm I must say that since the update I have rarely seen more than 6 people ingame on any of the servers.

Also is the Metaverse ever going to come back how it was with more than just one or so clusters in it? (I haven't seen a recent post about it so thought I might as well ask)

HMSBlueprint

Posted: 2008-12-18 05:08   
THE SHEEP HAZ TAKEN ALL THE PLAYERS, nah, there all asleep

Don Nukey of ICC *CO*
Chief Marshal
Interstellar Cultural Confederation United

Chatting in 'DarkSpace English'

Posted: 2008-12-18 07:37   
just got bored and trying new games
like cabal online eu, playing also back navyfield and archlord

Reek Havoc *XO*
Chief Marshal
Interstellar Cultural Confederation United

Posted: 2008-12-18 10:38   
The game to me is not enjoyable anymore as well. Fatal Squadron is playing other games at the moment too as Nukey stated above. We're all pretty much fed up with playing an ongoing beta release.

Now, I see we have another post of mod powers abuse. 3 stations camping a SY planet farming prestige off one player that is re-entering the game via the same SY and you ban him for giving them free prestige basically? Ban us all then to your heart's content. It did a lot of good banning mousey for so called abusing a beacon spam bug in teh game that was only fixe by removing beacons entirely in this patch.

The player base has not returned. Why you ask? Maybe they are all fed up with the changes in the game and how boring it has become as a result of those changes. The game is no longer fun and flowing as it was in the past even without a multitude of players. It has gotten even more cumbersome, more restrictive (no modding, free building, etc.) and slower in game play than ever before. Even the mv is not as it should be due to issues in running it all on one server.

It will have to come a long way before I log into the mv again subbed or not. Maybe if the game were actually developed on a fair playing field and moderatd fairly too we'd have more players. Unfortunately the problems facing DS are never resolved and so here we are today all wanting a great game and people back to play but since the developers, moderators and admins never listen to the subscribing players now they have a few less of us.

-RH

DarkSpace: ICCU (Fleet tag: =ICC=) is always recruiting ICC pilots! (/clan join =ICC=)

Goto the website of Reek Havoc *XO*
.spaivxx.
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2008-12-18 11:03   
Hmm, I had not really thought of it but I guess the game has been on the decline. It is sad too, because for many years this game was like my own little oasis at home: chloroform the old lady and kids, brew some coffee, turn on the red "battle mood lighting" and some custom music, and go about my business conquring the MV. I just don't see that ever happening again.

I would still be subbed and wasting away precious hours of my life if the game had the flow it used to, or even half the players. Since the new update, the one we were all anxiously waiting for , was released, I don't even recognize the game anymore. Also, it could be my timing, but the times I have checked in, there was never more than 4 or so people online.

Oh well. I really shouldn't be wasting time gamin anyhow and if DS is dying a slow painful death I guess it is my chance to kick my gaming addiction. My current PC (a laptop) doesn't run many current games, so it helps in avoiding getting sucked into a game such as EVE. My laptop does run COmbat Arms, a free FPS game, and I have been playing it a little bit, but FPS games get old really quickly and CA has already lost it's charm for me. I only play it caus my PC won't run America's Army, the only FPS that never ever got old to me.

Ya never know, maybe someday down the road after the the official death of DS someone will buy the code and rerelease and older version and some of us can play again...

Jim Starluck
Marshal
Templar Knights

Posted: 2008-12-18 12:40   
Quote:
Now, I see we have another post of mod powers abuse. 3 stations camping a SY planet farming prestige off one player that is re-entering the game via the same SY and you ban him for giving them free prestige basically?

I was there for part of this, on the same team. He wasn't re-entering the game, he was re-entering the shipyard whenever his ship took a slight amount of hull damage and getting a brand new one. It was, in fact, tremendously lame.

Quote:
The player base has not returned. Why you ask? Maybe they are all fed up with the changes in the game and how boring it has become as a result of those changes. The game is no longer fun and flowing as it was in the past even without a multitude of players. It has gotten even more cumbersome, more restrictive (no modding, free building, etc.) and slower in game play than ever before. Even the mv is not as it should be due to issues in running it all on one server.

Speaking as a player who has experience with many different versions of Darkspace, the game is a lot better than it's been in awhile but it still has a ways to go. Small ships--Scouts through Destroyers--are practically useless, Cruisers are moderately effective but not very popular, Dreads are actually the most well-balanced ships in the game right now, and Stations... stations are what is dragging the pace of the game down, if you ask me. They're big and slow and cumbersome and half of the playerbase seems to think they're the only things worth flying, so a faction's advance is limited to the pace of their stations, which is glacial.

And even if all that is changed, it still won't be enough if there's only ever a handful of players online. With so few people, every battle becomes a question of how many players a side has, and not how well it can fight. The difference between 6 players and 5 players is proportionally much bigger than the difference between 16 and 15. The more people we get, the more even the gameplay will be.

I know a lot of people who I want to reccomend this game to, but I cannot in good conscience do so when I know that their initial gameplay experience is going to suck. They're going to try it out, conclude that it sucks and leave and I'll have a hard time getting them to give it a second chance.

There are a few things I think need to be done in order for the game to really get going again.

1. Adjust small ship combat. I've been saying this for months and nothing's happened. Scouts, Frigates and Destroyers need to have something that they and they alone can do which earns the player prestige, even when they're in the same Metaverse as the rest of us with Dreads and Stations. If there is no place for new players in the Metaverse, and they're forced into the underpopulated kiddie pool, they're just going to leave. The Newbie server should be where they can figure out how to play the game, yes, but not just so they can gain enough rank to get the "real" ships. Once they figure out how to play effectively they should be able to come into the Metaverse and contribute in some way, even if they're still a Midshipman.

2. Allow Demo players more game experience. Right now they have a two-week trial and are then restricted to Midshipman until they fork over $10. I had an idea the other day that instead of suddenly being stuck as Midshipman, Demo players would have their prestige gain rate adjusted based on their rank. Midshipmen gain at 100%, Ensigns at 50%, 2nd Lieutenants at 25%, and so on. Their advancement would slow to a crawl; it would take them the same amount of work to go from Captain to 2nd Rear Admiral as it would take a paying player to go from Fleet Admiral to Grand Admiral. They would not suddenly regain the "lost" prestige when they subbed; they'd still have to work up from where they were. This also helps boost the population of smaller ships in-game, since unsubbed players would still be able to fly ships they had already earned.

3. Lower the subscription cost somewhat. Personally, I don't think the early-end gameplay right now is worth $10 a month, and even the high-end gameplay is only worth it when there are plenty of people--which there aren't at the moment. Both of those should change, yes, but this is still a fairly small-time game. World of Warcraft costs about $15 a month, and it has a hell of a lot more going for it than Darkspace does, so why is our cost comparable? I say lower it to somewhere between $5 and $10 a month, to make it more inviting to new players. It's not like we're a money-making powerhouse at the moment anyway.

If we do those three things in order, the game A: becomes a lot more inviting to new players, B: new players have a far more interesting experience before they're asked to commit to paying money, and C: they aren't asked to commit as much, so far more will be willing to pay to play. We get less per player, but over time the increased playerbase will offset this... and eventually we could raise the cost back to what it is today, once the gameplay experience is worth that cost.

Email Jim Starluck
Pakhos[+R]
Chief Marshal
Pitch Black

Posted: 2008-12-18 12:46   
Isn´t it lovely that one post of Killa makes wonders ?

Actually, i dont care about mods, admins or how is it going to be developed in future. I do care about some cool people i play with and against. I think this is the only matter keeps me in this game. Surely, if all u guys leave I wont have any choice and look ahead you to come back or leave it too.

In fact, Faustus is pretty inteligent person . In first place, he created this game when there was none of this "developers" or "staff". Then we came , we tested , and we played! So there is no need to care about staff if we play in the sense of online playing to have fun between us. Sure , there are somethings need to be fixed about ROC. For example ,Delando's issue. I knew this guy after i gave a break to DS. He is very talented player and i dont think there was any Sy abuse since he was the only icc at that moment and defending his last shipyard. So , as game has failed to blockage the planet he was keeping spawning. I think in this kind of cases, game's roc must be re-write depends on bugs and player base.

Lately i have tried alot to rank up alot of people and tried to teach newbies how to play. So did FS and other people. I think , as players "we" do what it is needed to be done by us and waiting developers to do their part.

And please , pretty please, dont say again " we are not paid". Nobody forced you to be a developer or a staff member. Simply take it or leave it .

Peace!

x_KiLLa_x
Chief Marshal

Posted: 2008-12-18 15:36   
Very well said Pak , I appreciate the player base's concern and love for DS wish admins/staff paid more attention to the few player base that is left. The DS community has failed to make this game interesting for the noobs. If we toke some time off to stop focusing on rank/prestige we would have a much more pleasent game for newcomer's. As pakhos said staff/developers do it for free so should focus mainly on noobs purely.

As I have said many times in the past I started this game in 2001 lost interest due to lack of help in-game returned in 2002 recieved help from a player on how to build I forgot his name, but I appreciated it at the time as it help me get into different aspects of the game.
A game as complex as DarkSpace needs better leaders and help these new guy's way better. Admin's should be players willing to go the extra mile for the player base of Darkspace not guys flexing their muscle's on RoC rules and banning the few players they have....

Goodluck and hopefully DS survives to fight another day

Gejaheline
Fleet Admiral
Galactic Navy

Posted: 2008-12-18 15:42   
I believe that the main problem at the moment is that the game's in a sort of half-released state where some fairly essential bits aren't quite finished and there's a bit of a lack of polish. And people are complaining about things all the time, although compared to things like EvE and WoW we've got a below-average amount of whining. Presumably people like the game as well as dislike it, but the only people who post are the ones who are complaining about something. Hey, that gives me an idea...

Oh, I'm still alive, by the way. Need to find some free time for frivolous video games.

[EDIT]Die, typos, die.
[ This Message was edited by: Gejaheline on 2008-12-18 15:45 ]

Delando
Marshal

Posted: 2008-12-19 09:04   
Quote:

On 2008-12-18 12:40, Jim Starluck wrote:

I was there for part of this, on the same team. He wasn't re-entering the game, he was re-entering the shipyard whenever his ship took a slight amount of hull damage and getting a brand new one. It was, in fact, tremendously lame.

WOAH! hold on a sec there, who put me in that situation in the first place?
If u had stood u ground and fought instead of raning off for fcking 15min to repair ever time u got hulled, we would have nailed those stations.

U out of everyone there that day have the least rights to say anything about me:
u know we had only 1 shipyard left in the bloody system, where else my suppost spwn? Huh?

u knew how outnumbered we were, 3 station was the least of our problems, they had at least 2 more dreads camping the orbit.

out of the 30 min of battle we had, u fought what? 10min? and left me to face their entire bloody fleet for the other 20, while u hidding in godknowwhere twiddling ur thumbs.

nd u got the nerv to call ME lame?
[ This Message was edited by: Delando on 2008-12-19 09:10 ]

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
Page created in 0.200877 seconds.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024 Palestar Inc. All rights reserved worldwide.
Terms of use - DarkSpace is a Registered Trademark of PALESTAR