No kills today... yet.

Upcoming Events

- Weekly DarkSpace
05/04/24 +3.4 Days

Search

Anniversaries

No anniversaries today.

Social Media

Why not join us on Discord for a chat, or follow us on Twitter or Facebook for more information and fan updates?

Network

DarkSpace
DarkSpace - Beta
Palestar

[FAQ
Forum Index » » Developer Feedback » » [DISCUSSION]ship control (may be repost)
 Author [DISCUSSION]ship control (may be repost)
-Shadowalker-™
Admiral
Galactic Navy

Posted: 2008-12-04 16:32   
I was thinkin' that when you enter ship, you have a set limit of diffrent things, what if you could change that, like adding and taking away weapons and armour and engines etc..., but there have set backs, like a frig with like 20 p cannons, when he fires about half the volly goes and he becomes dead in space, cant move, fire, and has to wait like 4-5 min to get energy back up. Another is that if you put to much armour or weapons or even engines the super structure of the ship will fail and fall apart. If you add to much armour the engines cant handle it and your dead in space and you need like a transport with tractors to move it.

Something else would be like having too much wewapons would cause system overload and crash needing a reboot wich would like take 5-10 min. But of course keep the modding to the ship class, like you cant have a missle crussier using nothing but torps( if you get what i mean), and to little and you the ship has too much power the ship will over load and destroy.

As for ICC, i wish that when your battling and your shields are down you can jump out, park and while waiting you can turn off systems like weapons, targiting systems etc... and divert power from those to the shields or vis-versa.

One more thing, i was thinkin that there could be an early warning system, that when a ship targets another, a little red warning light appears in the corner of the screen.

I will probably make changes to this, but for now.

Discuss.

Email -Shadowalker-™
Mersenne Twister
Fleet Admiral

Posted: 2008-12-06 19:02   
Quote:

On 2008-12-04 16:32, Walker of shadows wrote:
As for ICC, i wish that when your battling and your shields are down you can jump out, park and while waiting you can turn off systems like weapons, targiting systems etc... and divert power from those to the shields or vis-versa.

devices only drain energy if they're A: active (eccm/ecm/scanner, shields) or B: recharging (JD/WH, every weapon system). so you CAN jump out to recharge your shields. your JD will have to recharge, as will any fighters or other weapons than you used right before the jump, but after that, if you're not moving, all the power produced by your engines/reactors is ALREADY going right to your shields or your energy reserves.

I wouldn't screw with it if I were you. The doctor already holds you in poor favor. Messing with this might really fry his shorts.

Eledore Massis [R33]
Grand Admiral
Templar Knights

Posted: 2008-12-07 10:08   
so you want a little control that does either three (of four for icc) things.
set energy priority to : Engines, Weapons, (Shields) & Neutral.
... makes sence but that would take out a lot of skill/knowlage requirements, to make good pilots.

Knowing when NOT to shoot is just as important as to know when to start running away.
Managing your energy reserves properly, adjusting your speed to match up with your energy consumption, firing low energy usage weapons only. are all something a captain should be aware off, this is called tactics. NO, tactics are not jut ships position everything i just said falls under tactics.

Ok to the suggestion, It sounds nice. something a lot of players might want to see because they usually are killed because they didn't manage there energy properly, or like to say that there isn't a way to manage there energy properly.
If there should be a need or interest to create more ship system controles, this should be one of them i recommend but not at the moment..

More controls on a ship makes the pilot want to fiddle with all of them to create the perfect battleboat for him. DS should be focused on tactical combat and team strategy.

Fattierob
Vice Admiral

Posted: 2008-12-08 10:27   
Quote:

On 2008-12-06 19:02, Mersenne Twister wrote:
devices only drain energy if they're A: active (eccm/ecm/scanner, shields) or B: recharging (JD/WH, every weapon system). so you CAN jump out to recharge your shields. your JD will have to recharge, as will any fighters or other weapons than you used right before the jump, but after that, if you're not moving, all the power produced by your engines/reactors is ALREADY going right to your shields or your energy reserves.

I think he meant "turning off systems increases the ability other systems recharge"

Like for example:

Situation 1
Power generation is 200 units per second
Shields drain 150 units per second to recharge
other ship devices drain 50 units per second

Situtation 2
Power generation is 200 units per second
Other ship devices are turned off, draining 0 units per second.
Shields drain 200 units per second to recharge, recharging 25% faster then normal (Perhaps using reducing returns, maybe only 20%)

Basically shield recharge rate is based off of how much power is left after all the other devices have sucked up power. This would be an interesting ability for shields if they had this ability. This would allow ICC more power management abilities (Do I sacrifice my ability to defend myself in the future to allow myself more time to fire weapons now? Should I turn off other systems that require turning them back on if I get surprised by an enemy ship?)

Page created in 0.010662 seconds.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024 Palestar Inc. All rights reserved worldwide.
Terms of use - DarkSpace is a Registered Trademark of PALESTAR