Combat Kills

Combat kills in last 24 hours:
No kills today... yet.

Upcoming Events

Search

Anniversaries

21th - Sir Oblivion {C?}

Social Media

Why not join us on Discord for a chat, or follow us on Twitter or Facebook for more information and fan updates?

Network

DarkSpace
DarkSpace - Beta
Palestar

[FAQ
Forum Index » » Developer Announcements » » Disconnects...
 Author Disconnects...
Faustus
Marshal
Palestar

Posted: 2002-01-25 12:13   
If a player disconnects from a server, the ship no longer disappears from the game.

It will be put under AI control, and will automatically attempt to fly back to the jumpgate. If the player reconnects while their ship is still in-game, they will be rejoined to their ship if possible. They wouldn't be rejoined if if the server is balanced and rejoining them would violate the balance rules.

If the players ship is destroyed after they disconnected, then they do not gain resources lost. I know this can still be used to exploit, but it has to be done like this because sometimes people lose connections outside of their control (i.e. power lose, router problems, the internet).

If the players is in the MV, then upon disconnection, their ship is saved in it's current state. Their ship is left inside the MV, and can be destroyed, but when the player returns they will get their ship back in the same condition when it was saved. The exception is if they reconnect to the server before their ship leaves the game either through a JG or by getting destroyed, then they reconnect to the ship already in-game.

This is the best of both worlds, the attacker can still get their points when they have an enemy about to die. Those who get disconnected on accident won't get a bunch of negative prestige. Those who do it on purpose, oh well, just shame on you

-Richard

Goto the website of Faustus
Dwarden
Admiral
CHIMERA

Posted: 2002-01-25 15:03   
SO when i got superequiped (best equipe combination possible) ship...i got near to death...i disco....then someone kill my ghost....then i reconnect and i get back my superequiped ship ? eh ?
if i understand correctly this can be exploited in MV as hell...kill points on AI for free ... no ship losts ....what2say... NO MORE AI prestige plz...and ghost death = back to new standart ship

[ This Message was edited by: Dwarden on 2002-01-25 15:05 ]

Faustus
Marshal
Palestar

Posted: 2002-01-25 16:10   
Yeah and you would be the first in line to complain when your internet connection got lost while you were in a battle in the MV.. only to get back online, and your entire ship is gone.

Goto the website of Faustus
-mac-
Cadet

Posted: 2002-01-25 16:17   
Faustus, couldn't you trap the Alt-F4 quit or Esc-logoff, and penalize for those two only? That way, if the user truly gets disconnected, they won't be penalized. Or, they will have to disconnect their cable from their modem to simulate a disco ... in which case, they can deal with the wear and tear on their modem plug =)

Cuisinart
Fleet Admiral

Posted: 2002-01-25 16:26   
I feel that you have come up with the perfect solution Faustus. And Mac, while I agree with you somewhat, there is always the call of real life to interrupt games, phone calls, doorbells, spilt milk, etc. nice that I won't lose a ton of prestige because I have to answer my door...
~Cuisinart

Dwarden
Admiral
CHIMERA

Posted: 2002-01-25 18:21   
When i lost connection to server,
i say damn or st. worse and reconnect, my crap connection is my problem ...

For Scenario looks all fine
but if i really understood correctly then in MV i will see this:

Player A have nice good outfited ship
Player B hunting player A
Player A get damaged to 50% hull so he unplug his network cable from hub (e.g. for me 50cm move of my hand)
His ship turn into AI ghost, player B know that he get prestige too so he kill AI ghost...
Player A plug back cable and rejoin to MV
Player A jump to player B and damage him to 50%
Player B unplug his network cable and...
i got thought this i already said...

1st exploit use = way to get easy prestige on AI
2nd exploit use = way to protect ship lost

[ This Message was edited by: Dwarden on 2002-01-25 18:30 ]

Lord_Binary
Midshipman

Posted: 2002-01-25 18:58   
well, why not this way:

per se you lose neither prestige nor resources if you disco or alt f4

but your ship remains in game as potential target for 1-5 minutes.
after that time it disapears

if you are lucky nothing bad happens.
If in battle etc, bad luck

In addition there are special regions where you can log out immediatly.
(no 1-5 minutes timer)
and there are special "insta-logout" gadges.
if you have them and disco or alt f4 no logout timer as well
of course they should be hard to get / be expensive & have a limited amout of charges.

Mercenaries of Andosia

[ This Message was edited by: Lord Binary on 2002-01-25 18:59 ]
"Don't mention it! I have some bad Homo Sapiens!"
"

Email Lord_Binary
peanutbutter
Cadet

Posted: 2002-01-25 22:20   
well the idea is good faustus but instead of letting the ships going to homegate just let it try to jump into a safe zone - somewhere way outside enemyspace where it can't be tracked. then he has the ship back in the last state and is safe against attacks (that an attacker missing some prestige or kills that is realy not that important). the price is that if he reconnects he has to go back to the coordinates and this takes time so he can't bet back in battle immediatly or whatever plan he had.

[ This Message was edited by: peanutbutter-ITG on 2002-01-25 22:21 ]

Email peanutbutter
Samweis*
Cadet

Posted: 2002-01-26 01:42   
Wouldnt it be better if you can only logout without res lost if you were not hit from a weapon in the last 15 seconds or something like that?

Email Samweis*
DoomDragon
Cadet

Posted: 2002-01-26 08:58   
Its really easy. When you disconnect while ingame everyone sees your ships as a ghost (maybe like you see your own cloaked ship). The ghost isn't attackable. When you don't log back within 5 minutes it becomes ai controlled and attackable. When you log back within 5 minutes you controll the ship normally. When you log off again your timer won't reset to 5 minutes again, instead it continues where it stop after the first relogin. When the ship gets destroyed you loose the prestige.

This would solve the problem for bad disconnects and would prevent exploiting.

Vinco
Fleet Admiral
Galactic Navy

Posted: 2002-01-29 00:58   
Please make sure that there's a good way to tell if the ship is a ghost or not. A few problems were caused by my teammates juming to a ghost supply for repair/rearm.

Vinco

In Another Place

Honor is all.

Cuisinart
Fleet Admiral

Posted: 2002-01-29 15:07   
Clarification Please-
If I hit escape and logoff in the MV, what happens to my ship? Does it sit there and wait to be blown up? Does it start back for the JG? Does it disappear? Sorry, but I'm a little confused, I understand what happens if your disconnected, but this is a logoff I'm asking about...
~Cuisinart

Page created in 0.022558 seconds.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024 Palestar Inc. All rights reserved worldwide.
Terms of use - DarkSpace is a Registered Trademark of PALESTAR