Upcoming Events

- Weekly DarkSpace
05/04/24 +4.5 Days

Search

Anniversaries

22th - Tellaris
17th - Oskar von Reuenthal

Social Media

Why not join us on Discord for a chat, or follow us on Twitter or Facebook for more information and fan updates?

Network

DarkSpace
DarkSpace - Beta
Palestar

[FAQ
Forum Index » » Tactics & New Players » » 1.5 Tactics in Defense
 Author 1.5 Tactics in Defense
Sens [R33]
Admiral

Posted: 2008-10-05 18:12   
With the dawn of 1.5, we see many changes in bombing and building with the inclusion of two new interesting factors, the starport, and platforms. Alone, these two factors open up a world of possibilities in the defense of planets, systems, and allies.

Platforms-
When used alone, they are pretty nifty, when combined, these babies really shine.

Use in:

Planets:
While a ring of weapon/missile/sensor platforms would be nice, it would be counter productive to resupply them. In my opinion, there are only three cases platforms are effectively used in planets:
1.New planets on the frontline-
Platforms provide defense early on and give the builder a decent ammount of time to build planet defense before they expire.
2. Planet clusters-
Platforms between planets will provide increased coverage while providing support to multiple planets.
3. Shipyard planets-
Platforms placed around shipyards are easily resupplied.
4. Vital planets-
What are these? Well, every once in a while, a planet becomes crucial to an assault or the defense of a system. To protect these, it is advisable to throw up three rings of various platforms to ensure maximum PD coverage and disuasion of any potential bombers.*Courtesy of Veronw

Jumpgates:
One of the more obvious applications for platforms is its role as a first line of defense against invading fleets or bombers. Although there are possible an infinite ammount of plausible configurations, I have provided two simple ones as examples.
A.
------------------------S--
---M---------W-----------
---M---S----W---*--JG---S-
---M---------W-------------
---M---------W-------S----

B.
----M----------M---
----------W----------
------S------S------
---W--*-JG-----W----
-----S-------S--------
---------W---------
----M----------M-----

C.

---------------------
---------------------
--------S-JG-------
--------------------
--------------------

D.

-------------------------
-----w----M----w------
-----------------w------
------eeee-----w--JG--
-----------------w------
-----w----M----w------

M = Missile platform
W = Weapon Platform
S = Sensor base
* = Supply platform
e = enemy ship
Configurations:
A.
This layout is designed to provide a clear line of fire for the weapon and missile platforms, with the rows of platforms facing the terminus of the Jumpgate, ensuring anything larger than a destroyer will recieve four core weapons to the face if not more. Meanwhile, the four sensor bases provide full coverage to detect any enemies attempting to exit via jumpgate. The supply platform is positioned 75gu from the exiting side to absorb any shots the enemy fires as it should be right under them by them time they come through.

B.(suggested by Rocko Willis)
Basic symmetric layout with four weapon platforms at the cardinal directions placed 75 gu from jumpgate, and four missile platforms placed at subcardinal positions 125gu(correct me if I'm wrong) from the jump gate with sensors providing all arlound coverage.

C.
Every home system jumpgate should have atleast one sensor platform next to the entrance to detect approaching enemies, and more importantly Kluth vessels exiting from tach space, which may cloack to avoid the defence on the other side.

D.(courtesy of delando, Ive fixed a bit of grammar)
Basically, this setup is created with the purpose of crippling one's aft armor arcs and will prove extremely devastating to assault class cruisers in particular. For more information, look at his post.

Pros and Cons.
While config A. is designed for maximum damage output against incomming vessels, however config B provides all around coverage preventing enemies from using the jumpgate as a means of escape. Both configurations are vurnerable to cloacked kluth. In addition, jump gate defense are always to be placed on the terminal side so that enemies may not jump into the gate and avoid the defenses all together.

Checkpoints:
With 1.5 comes the notorious "fuel problem" encountered mainly by dreadnaughts. Checkpoints provide pitstops inbetween jumpgates to ensure these lumbering giants are not left "dead in the water." A simple layout can vary from one or two supply platforms to a combination of all four platforms. There are a few things to remeber when creating checkpoints.
a. Never place checkpoints directly inbetween jumpgates as they can easily be spotted midjump by the enemy and destroyed.
ex.
JG-------------CK--------------JG

Instead place them in a position that creates a "triangle" of sorts.
ex.
----------------CK----------------
-------------*-------*------------
----------*------------JG---------
-------JG--------------------------
* = path taken to from jumpgate to check point to the next jumpgate.

Offensive platforms:
Crazy idea? mabe, but it is entirely feasible. I wont go deep into this, but platforms are great meatshields and make excellent decoys for well... other platforms. With tractors the possiblities are endless but I will let you think on this aspect.

Tips and Tricks for building platform installations.
-Use a transport to fill your garage with fatties and spawn a engineer with the resources at the desired gate. After the platform is constructed, proceed to a shipyard and spawn again. After platforms are constructed, stock them with a transport.
-Have someone ferry resources to you
-Build a mining planet in the system for faster retrieval
-When building gate defense, think by the dozen, by doing so you may potentially destroy enemy ships, which in the end is a nice bonus to the early detection. *again courtesy of Veronw

Building planets:

With the major bombing nerf and increased planet sizes, building and bombing tactics will change. In addition, the "uber" transport can be a valuable asset. Im going to assume most readers know how to build already so i will use vague notes.

Half face planet-
Basically building a planet in a nice rectangle with defense bases criscrossing between the generators and other vitals. Its recomended for shipyard planets so that one or two platforms can cover the blind side and a deactivated starport is also a nice addition for its use as a brick wall and additional point defense. The reasoning behind this layout is to force the bomber to be exposed to the maximum ammount of planet defense while increasing PD coverage for all buildings. The weakness is continuos neuting, which will chip away the population or mass tranny rushes.

Dealing with the increased planet sizes-
As many of you may have noticed, some planets that used to be 16 spaces around now have a 20 slot equator. Im pretty sure most of you have already compensated for this, although it does make defense base placement a bit tricky.

Scattering Vital buildings- because 1.5 now forces bombers to use scanners, it is advisable to scatter your domes, generators, and food in a organized fasion so your planet is knocked out in one run. in addition, infantry spreading would also be advisable, although it might prove to be an annoying task.

Starports-
Basically a def base on crack, it blocks bombs and has PD, what more could you ask for? It works two ways however as the transport might wander away. Then again, who would bomb a planet with 5 transports around it?(In this situation, 4 transports would be arriving at planet x to deliver resources, thanks to Eledore fo pointing out the confusion)

I hope this jumbled mess was of some help, feel free to comment or criticize, thanks to all those whom Ive drawn ideas from , namely Tatsuma, and Rock, and others whom I haven't named.

edit* thanks for all the comments guys, added verons and dels ideas to guide
[ This Message was edited by: Sensitivity on 2008-10-06 15:07 ]

Email Sens [R33]
Eledore Massis [R33]
Grand Admiral
Templar Knights

Posted: 2008-10-05 20:23   
Quote:
On 2008-10-05 18:12, Sensitivity wrote:
Then again, who would bomb a planet with 5 transports around it?

Need to your homework on that part.

Delando
Marshal

Posted: 2008-10-05 21:08   
AWEsome guide sensitivity, u've really out done urself this time.
Took some serious tactical thought and experiment to to have came up with all this. GJ.

I recomend every builder and battle planer read this. Solid stuff.

On configuration A on JG def. have u considered placing the W plats at under 60 gu from the JG? This way enemy ships coming though will have 4 core weapons and beams fireing up ther aft, rather than their front. dreads and assult class ships like EADs which are slow and have weak aft armor will be especially weak to this. the plats alone may be enough to hull em.

Excellent job, I'd take back all the nasty things i've said about ya.

....well almost all of them.

Veronw
Marshal

Posted: 2008-10-06 00:59   
not enough platforms in those configurations, youd need at least 50 to be effective against more than 3 dreadnaughts, of course, the resupply of these would take a while, but defensively speaking they would be worth it.

also, planet wise, i personally use 3 rings of platforms around the planet, with outer ring being a mixture of missile and weapon platforms, next ring being sensors, and final innermos ring beng weapon platforms again.

the one test i had with this confieration yielded excellent results

XenoZex
Marshal

Posted: 2008-10-06 04:07   
Support platforms r buged i think, ther not working when they should be, even if they have resources they wont repair the damaged ships

Email XenoZex
DragonSlayer*Sanctuary*
Grand Admiral
Galactic Navy

Posted: 2008-10-06 04:26   
Quote:

On 2008-10-06 04:07, XenoZex wrote:
Support platforms r buged i think, ther not working when they should be, even if they have resources they wont repair the damaged ships

They do work after being built, but after alot of supplying they kinda just go on strike. There appears to be a bug, even so this is not the correct place for bug reports xenozex.

Plz Post any other bugs here http://www.darkspace.net/index.htm?module=forums.php&page=/viewforum.php?forum=2&3598
[ This Message was edited by: Iron Blade*Come Into my Light* on 2008-10-06 04:28 ]

Email DragonSlayer*Sanctuary*
Borgie
Chief Marshal
Pitch Black

Posted: 2008-10-06 10:00   
nice idea in all but do platforms alert you to incomming ships, or do they just sit there getting pounded on?

Email Borgie
Delando
Marshal

Posted: 2008-10-06 11:12   
They notify of enemy presence, attacks automaticly. but sensor and sup plat only point def.

BOX:

-----w----M----w------
-----------------w------
------eeee-----w--JG--
-----------------w------
-----w----M----w------
------------------------- e=> enemy ship as it pass through JG

For kluth exclusively, due to no range dissapation of ruptors.

Purpose: Break though enemy aft amor, usually the weakest and least defended.

5 SI and 15 ruptor fire on enemy aft armor. as it moves forward to escape the 4 M and W on the side of the 'BOX' also get a chance to fire on the aft armor.

2 Missile plats are there only to privide some longrange protection against cannon fire.

Referal:
Nemesis can testify to its effecitveness, His EAD was slightly hulled by this setup.

he also came up with a possible Counter:
Rushing throu the JG at full speed, reduces the # of hits. or jump right away as ur pass through.

Page created in 0.023429 seconds.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024 Palestar Inc. All rights reserved worldwide.
Terms of use - DarkSpace is a Registered Trademark of PALESTAR