No kills today... yet.

Upcoming Events

- Weekly DarkSpace
05/04/24 +5.3 Days

Search

Anniversaries

21th - Chubba

Social Media

Why not join us on Discord for a chat, or follow us on Twitter or Facebook for more information and fan updates?

Network

DarkSpace
DarkSpace - Beta
Palestar

[FAQ
Forum Index » » Soap Box » » Spore flop!
 Author Spore flop!
Kanman
Grand Admiral
Pitch Black

Posted: 2008-09-20 11:15   
Ok. My friends and I have all gotten Spore. We have been following it for a long while, awaiting the release of this epic and exciting game.

It's awful! Allow me to list the critical development flaws:

1) There is virtually NO relationship between the stages of the game. What happens in Microbe doesnt seem to influence anything at all in creature. Creature doesnt influence tribal, etc.

2) There is no evolution limiter. By this I mean you can COMPLETELY reformat your creature from the ground up EACH TIME you evolve. You can turn an elephant into a fish into a mouse into a bird into a potato into a centipede, destroying the advertised concept of evolution.

3) Many of the items in the game do nothing at all. Ears and noses are for looks only. They gain your creature nothing in-play yet they cost DNA points to add.

4) Each stage is barely as complex as an internet flash game. They are simple and hardly up to par with even the complexity you would find in a FPS game, let alone a RPG or RTS.

5) Creature features dont really matter. It is a simple numbers game. If you give your creature 6 pairs of legs, it moves just as fast as a creature with just ONE leg of the same level. You can scale the features of your creature without influence of physics. You can give a HUGE creature TINY wings. Wings have a 'glide lvl1' so, your animal can glide on them...

6) Unusually limited features available. You cant even give a creature hair or fur. Just colors and skins. Tails arent avaiable. You cant put legs or arms on other legs and arms, only on the body. The Spinal design is very limiting in creature format, as is the bilateral symmetry. Maybe I want a creature that is radially symmetrical, like an jelly fish.

7) No sea creatures. Land animals only.

Conclusion: The game is.... OK (the way Mario Kart Wii is). But it is NOT anywhere CLOSE to the EPIC game they have been building it up to be. Really disappointing.

Veronw
Marshal

Posted: 2008-09-20 11:45   
well, in a lot of the video docs, the devs were saying that there had been a ton of hype over the game, and that a lot of the hype wasnt really true..

not to mention, it was not built for hard core gamers to splurge on, it was meant for the relatively newer players, and altho i agree with some points on the creature creator, your wrong when you say that it each stage does not affect the next.

if i was to say...make my guy an omnivore in the cell stage, and go around eating meat instead of plant matter, id get termed a carnivore in the creature stage and be limited to the choices of carniverous parts.

just like in the creature phase, if you have your guy going around killing other tribes, you will become a predator, and be limited on those choices with a preset like/dislike setting that other tribes/nations will have towards you.

so all in all, those points arent really valid if you play through it hours and hours and hours and hours like i have.....*needs life*

EDIT: how far have you even gotten man?

[ This Message was edited by: Veronw on 2008-09-20 11:48 ]

Fattierob
Vice Admiral

Posted: 2008-09-20 11:48   
It's okay. Once EA releases the 7th expansion pack, i'm sure it'll be good.

Coeus
Grand Admiral
Sundered Weimeriners

Posted: 2008-09-20 11:49   
I gave my critter a tail... you just make the back part of the animal have a really small spine & place it after the legs - which is actually quite true since tails are just extensions of an animals spine. It wags & waves like a tail would as well.

ICC Security Council Chief Enforcer

Email Coeus   Goto the website of Coeus
philll
Admiral

Posted: 2008-09-20 12:48   
and lets not forget galactic stage.
thats where the real game is meant to start actually

Tarnekep
Grand Admiral
Galactic Navy

Posted: 2008-09-20 14:26   
Well depends on which one you have. I have the first one and it is all what you described...but my ex has the second one and from what my children told me they love it and is hooked on it....I even made a creature on the first spore and I thought it was kool and ugly lol....I have not purchase the other one yet to see what it was like....so ya....

Tatsumasa
Marshal
Courageous Elite Commandos

Posted: 2008-09-20 18:32   
On a side note, never EVER, EVER if you life depends on it purchase the game Shattered Suns, it promises to be an epic space rts game, it sucks. I'm not going to rant about all the details, but most specifically it's not fun and the presentation is AWFUL.

Veronw
Marshal

Posted: 2008-09-20 18:36   
same for lost empires.

NiteHawk
Fleet Admiral

Posted: 2008-09-21 01:46   
Lost Empires was a letdown. :<

I just bought spore, shame that I see this. I honestly don't think I'll enjoy it because the whole evolution thing was interesting, but it isn't really proper it seems, which sucks.

Email NiteHawk
jedi42
Grand Admiral
Evil Empires Inc.

Posted: 2008-09-21 01:46   
I played through it. Clearly, the introductory stages are just the prelude to the Space stage. That is the meat & bones of the game.

What sort of enjoyable game did you expect them to make while you're a microbe?

I think they did a great job. As the game progresses, it turns into a decent basic RTS, then an interesting space RTS on a rather large scale.

It's not an epic win or anything, but it's a good game.
jedi42, darkjedi42, [drunk], hoid o' toitles, evil, rum, cl2k drainer, gdi, {C?}, hive teets, fusion mating, perfect cloud formation, death star, point jump, tractor scout, torp det, def cluster, cloaked elf

Veronw
Marshal

Posted: 2008-09-21 13:31   
yeah, it can get extremely dull in the space age tho, ive got an empire that spans roughly an entire galactic arm and theres nothing to do anymore lol..

Page created in 0.020963 seconds.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024 Palestar Inc. All rights reserved worldwide.
Terms of use - DarkSpace is a Registered Trademark of PALESTAR