No kills today... yet.

Upcoming Events

- Weekly DarkSpace
05/04/24 Now

Search

Anniversaries

1st - Alamode

Social Media

Why not join us on Discord for a chat, or follow us on Twitter or Facebook for more information and fan updates?

Network

DarkSpace
DarkSpace - Beta
Palestar

[FAQ
Forum Index » » Soap Box » » Five Antisocial Gadgets That Should be Banned
 Author Five Antisocial Gadgets That Should be Banned
Fatal Rocko Willis
Fleet Admiral
Fatal Squadron

Posted: 2008-09-05 01:09   
Technology moves fast, and manners aren’t keeping up. In older times, real innovations were so few and far-between that social conventions had time to grow up around them. Did you know, for example, that there was a recommended greeting for use with the new-fangled telephone? People didn’t know what to say when they picked up the speaking-tube, so they were given a suggestion: “Ahoy!” I still do this today — it confuses the heck out of the telemarketers.

But now that tech is everywhere and ever evolving, people don’t know how to conduct themselves in public. The gizmos themselves are innocent, but the users are not. Here I list five gadgets that should be banned until people learn to use them.

Speakerphones:

A speakerphone’s advantages are far outweighed by the fact that it can be used to play music. Specifically (and you might detect the voice of experience here), really bad rap music on the train to the beach. Back in the eighties, there was a penalty involved in portable tunes, and it came in the form of a backbreaking boombox equipped with around fifty D-Cell batteries.

Now there is no barrier, and anyone can pollute public spaces with what they obviously believe to be music loved by everyone there. Worse, the speakers are terrible. Bass becomes buzz, drums become tinny taps and vocals distort. At least the old 1980s boomboxes packed a decent punch.

Bluetooth Headsets:

If the cyborg-like plug in your ear weren’t bad enough, you look like a crazy-person whenever you use it, muttering to yourself as you walk down the street. Throw it away, now.

Custom Ringtones:

Closely related to the Speakerphone (and not strictly a gadget), the ringtone is the bane of modern existence, and reached a nadir with the release of the Crazy Frog, a ringtone based on a piece of music designed to piss people off (and actually called “Annoying Thing”).

Custom ringtones can be useful — I have the office number set to play a silent tone so I am never disturbed by my tyrannical employers, for example. But they are invariably used as a way to make the owner of the phone somehow look smart or funny. This, as we know, never works. Even if you have downloaded the latest chart-topper to show your excellent tastes off to the world, we all know that you just spent more than the cost of the track itself on a tinny, truncated MP3.

E-Books:

A strange one, you might think, given my love of the e-book. Lightweight, convenient and offering hundreds of titles in your pocket, the e-book is surely a perfect gadget. It can’t even annoy your fellow-travellers on public transport. But it has a secret agenda: to destroy romance itself.

Satnav:

This one comes from my brother, a motorbike rider who commutes daily. His problem: Morons. He thinks that most of the time people know where they are going and don’t actually need a satnav unit. Further, he argues, owners use them when they don’t need to, to justify the purchase.

I don’t necessarily agree, but I can’t argue with the theory in this one case: My brother saw a colleague pull up to work – a place he has driven to daily for years – with his GPS unit switched on. When challenged, he said it was for traffic avoidance. The problem? On his trip to work, there is only one route he can take, whatever the traffic conditions.

Which gadgets most annoy you?

[ This Message was edited by: Rocko Willis (Recruiting) on 2008-09-05 01:11 ]

Email Fatal Rocko Willis
Leonide
Grand Admiral
Templar Knights

Posted: 2008-09-05 01:14   
people driving with cell phones glued to their ear. my main pet peeve with gadgets.

[ This Message was edited by: leonide *FM* on 2008-09-05 01:15 ]

captain of the ICC Assault Cruiser C.S.S. Sledgehammer

Email Leonide
Ship-Of-Fools
2nd Rear Admiral
Angry Mob

Posted: 2008-09-05 01:45   
not many gadgets annoy me, bluetooth used to annoy me

untill i got one, a super trucker one that was a must have

12 hours talk time with 450 hours standby, with quad noise filter (designed to be used on a big rig)

problem is i use it everywhere, even on the can, and the dude in the next stall always thinks i am talking to him

" ohh hey, what u up to?!"
(dude in other stall) "wtf!"
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
GPS r extremly usefull devices, and a godsend to a truck driver, not for the routing( as almost no gps takes in consideration that u in an 80 foot long, 13'6, 80000lbs vehicle) but it Does (the garmin at least) put a flag on your destination (where u never been before) and where your truck is.
u just have to figure out how to get there

Tommas [ USF HunnyBunny ]
Chief Marshal
Pitch Black

Posted: 2008-09-05 08:39   
well heres some thats alot more antisocial then that:

- COMPUTER
- TV and GAME CONSOLES ( PLAYSTATION and so on)

Would be much more social to live in a cave wouldnt it?

SaturnShadow™ *FC*(Angel Of Darkness)
Marshal
*Renegade Space Marines*

Posted: 2008-09-05 09:01   
wat really annoys me is that ur driving along and a guy in a car is on the phone and is honking his horn trying to say ur in the wrong.. man i wish i was a undercover cop qwhen that sort of thing happens

Sardaukar
Admiral
Raven Warriors

Posted: 2008-09-05 09:34   
The iPod. Get people to use something that's actually good...

Veronw
Marshal

Posted: 2008-09-05 12:54   
/quote

Bluetooth Headsets:

If the cyborg-like plug in your ear weren’t bad enough, you look like a crazy-person whenever you use it, muttering to yourself as you walk down the street. Throw it away, now.

/quote

it is now illegal in california to drive with a normal cell phone, you get fined $1000 or more.

Sanity Assassin (K'Luth propaganda)
Grand Admiral
Sanity Assassins

Posted: 2008-09-05 13:38   
I agree with all. Lets add cell phones in general to that list.

Email Sanity Assassin (K'Luth propaganda)   Goto the website of Sanity Assassin (K'Luth propaganda)
The Master Debator
Cadet

Posted: 2008-09-05 14:05   
clearly you havent personalised ringtones, my dad's friend for instance, designates his wife the "imperial march" ringtone.

Supertrooper
Marshal
Pitch Black

Posted: 2008-09-05 15:58   
I actually love E-Books.

I like to listen to my Zune when I go to sleep, and it's nice to listen to a book every now and then, heh.

Email Supertrooper
Deltabacon
Fleet Admiral

Posted: 2008-09-05 16:24   
mobile phones can be useful though....

Coeus
Grand Admiral
Sundered Weimeriners

Posted: 2008-09-05 18:30   
Computers.

ICC Security Council Chief Enforcer

Email Coeus   Goto the website of Coeus
Sanity Assassin (K'Luth propaganda)
Grand Admiral
Sanity Assassins

Posted: 2008-09-05 18:35   
Quote:

On 2008-09-05 13:38, Sanity Assassin (K'Luth propaganda) wrote:

If you need a cellphone to survive something, you SHOULD die.

Email Sanity Assassin (K'Luth propaganda)   Goto the website of Sanity Assassin (K'Luth propaganda)
The Master Debator
Cadet

Posted: 2008-09-05 18:46   
Quote:

On 2008-09-05 18:35, Sanity Assassin (K'Luth propaganda) wrote:
Quote:

On 2008-09-05 13:38, Sanity Assassin (K'Luth propaganda) wrote:

If you need a cellphone to survive something, you SHOULD die.

no, but it makes everything all the more convinient

Page created in 0.020929 seconds.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024 Palestar Inc. All rights reserved worldwide.
Terms of use - DarkSpace is a Registered Trademark of PALESTAR