No kills today... yet.

Upcoming Events

- Weekly DarkSpace
05/04/24 +1.3 Days

Search

Anniversaries

No anniversaries today.

Social Media

Why not join us on Discord for a chat, or follow us on Twitter or Facebook for more information and fan updates?

Network

DarkSpace
DarkSpace - Beta
Palestar

[FAQ
Forum Index » » Developer Feedback » » New fighter loadouts?
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
 Author New fighter loadouts?
The Master Debator
Cadet

Posted: 2008-08-22 10:53   
This may have been suggested but instead of cannons and missiles, why don't fighters use Torpedoes! Of course they would have "ammo" so to speak so there isnt 20 fighters in the air pelting a poor ship with well... 20 proton torps into oblivion.

Loadouts I think would be somewhat balanced:

ICC F-29- 2 L2 fusion torps with 6 torps total

UGTO A-34 1 L3 proton torp and 1 L3 Particle cannon with four torpedoes

Kluth Larvae Horde 1 L3 Antimatter torp and 1 L2 Psi cannon with three torpedoes

The Idea is that the Fighters can only fire once or twice per run on a ship, so for example a F-29 would release 6 torps or 3 salvos total before returning to the carrier. Of course this would need tweaking and balancing, but also it would make interceptor fighters useful... Assuming the hardworking devs *cough* *cough* get around to coding them

Little Pet Slinki
Admiral

Posted: 2008-08-22 14:44   
I'm not seeing fighters with the ability to launch torpedo's at all, since scouts can only have 2 or 3 at most.

Goto the website of Little Pet Slinki
Pakhos[+R]
Chief Marshal
Pitch Black

Posted: 2008-08-22 16:07   
I think what would be great that u could order your fighters to defend specific ship and/or attack to enemy fighters with your owns.but sound too laggy..
just an idea tho.

The Master Debator
Cadet

Posted: 2008-08-22 17:13   
Quote:[/small]

On 2008-08-22 14:44, Grantham wrote:
I'm not seeing fighters with the ability to launch torpedo's at all, since scouts can only have 2 or 3 at most.

Im not talking abount mounts, each fighter at most would be shooting six torpedoes then returning to the carrier. and with that in mind it shouldnt take long for two or three passes at any vessel.

Fighters launch
Fighters attack
Fighters return

Quote:[/small]

On 2008-08-22 16:07, pakhos wrote:
I think what would be great that u could order your fighters to defend specific ship and/or attack to enemy fighters with your owns.but sound too laggy..
just an idea tho.

Interceptors were supposed to do this

[ This Message was edited by: Fatal Sensation on 2008-08-22 17:14 ]

Eledore Massis [R33]
Grand Admiral
Templar Knights

Posted: 2008-08-23 10:15   
current fighters aren't that smart currently.
Torpedo's would be nice since the don't track so might require the same resources as cannon device.

But in my vision i don't think human fighters, even the assault variant should have torpedo's. K'Luth however might be worth considering, but adding it currently would only imbalance the fighter powers of the factions.

The Master Debator
Cadet

Posted: 2008-08-23 13:09   
the torpedoes would more or less be "wing mounted" if you get what i mean, and arent UGTO fighters supposed to be superior?

Fattierob
Vice Admiral

Posted: 2008-08-23 13:18   
fighters fire small missiles

perhaps fighters could fire small torpedeos.

Deltabacon
Fleet Admiral

Posted: 2008-08-23 15:14   
If fighters were to be beefed up like that, point def would have to be beefed up too. But i think its an ok idea since it would require ED's and PD's to do their job and protect fleets from fighter attacks.

The Master Debator
Cadet

Posted: 2008-08-23 22:21   
Quote:

On 2008-08-23 15:14, Deltaflyer wrote:
If fighters were to be beefed up like that, point def would have to be beefed up too. But i think its an ok idea since it would require ED's and PD's to do their job and protect fleets from fighter attacks.

seeing as PD is already one hit one kill, most destroyer class+ ships can take out a entire fighter group before they even finish their run. With the exception being the aggy carrier which should be using fighters as its main weapon anyway.

Borgie
Chief Marshal
Pitch Black

Posted: 2008-08-24 09:05   
sounds like fun make the aggy carrier have a use next patch.

Email Borgie
Deltabacon
Fleet Admiral

Posted: 2008-08-24 12:57   
but torps cant be shot down and the fighters can probably launch a torp before the PD gets them all. Or another idea, add this onto ur fatal.

Have a hit-odds counter for all fighters, assault fighters taking on capital ships have a 30% chance of dodging a point def beam, bombers have a 30% chance of dodging a planet's def beam and interceptors have a 30% chace of dodging another fighter's beam.

Supertrooper
Marshal
Pitch Black

Posted: 2008-08-24 15:05   
Er, alright.

Fighters arent ment to have alot of weapons. Realisticaly, they shouldnt even have normal ship's cannons, they should have a much smaller variant. (Look at BSG's fighters, their a great example.)

I've always wanted to see actual fighter-specific weapons, instead of just throwing Particle Cannons/Rails and Missles on them. While I guess it would take abit more work, I don't see how resizing the current weapon animations (and models) to fit fighters would be hard.

I've also wanted to get rid of CL PD, I just think it's too easy to nock off projectiles. Maybe a small cannon with rapid fire - don't worry, the animation for it could just have 5-6 shells in one frame instead of the normal - as Point Defense.

The layout I'd expect for a Fighter would be one cannon, 2-3 smaller missles. No torpedoes.

[ This Message was edited by: Crim {Pants?} on 2008-08-24 15:07 ]

Email Supertrooper
The Master Debator
Cadet

Posted: 2008-08-24 15:22   
Quote:

On 2008-08-24 15:05, Crim {Pants?} wrote:
Er, alright.

Fighters arent ment to have alot of weapons. Realisticaly, they shouldnt even have normal ship's cannons, they should have a much smaller variant. (Look at BSG's fighters, their a great example.)

I've always wanted to see actual fighter-specific weapons, instead of just throwing Particle Cannons/Rails and Missles on them. While I guess it would take abit more work, I don't see how resizing the current weapon animations (and models) to fit fighters would be hard.

I've also wanted to get rid of CL PD, I just think it's too easy to nock off projectiles. Maybe a small cannon with rapid fire - don't worry, the animation for it could just have 5-6 shells in one frame instead of the normal - as Point Defense.

The layout I'd expect for a Fighter would be one cannon, 2-3 smaller missles. No torpedoes.

[ This Message was edited by: Crim {Pants?} on 2008-08-24 15:07 ]

how about dumbfire missiles with a bigger punch

Eledore Massis [R33]
Grand Admiral
Templar Knights

Posted: 2008-08-24 16:39   
I got some time on my hands currently so lets type a lot.

First the quick reply's
  • Torpedo's that might hurt the big ships should be large, read below for more comments.
  • Fighters have smaller weapons on them they just use the same technology as the big ships.
    Particle cannons, rain guns, psi etc.
  • the PD currently is instant kill, despite the visual being a laser.
    IF you want to make the PD a true weapon system where the PD might miss, than all projectiles or beams fired should be properly calculated by the server, to see if it is a true hit or not. Increasing the resource requirements.
    The idea is nice, but.. i don't see it happen soon, unless it won't be a extra strain.
    About chancing the animation of the PD, agreed and if i recall. (5 sec later). [url]. just might need some dev work.
  • Missiles on fighters, agreed with "Gejaheline" should be dumb. (or short-range smart one's that won't increase the LAG experience.)

Humans use fighters for, long range attacks and anti-fighter purposes.
Interceptor; is fast and excellent maneuverability. Has a anti-fighter cannon/laser. (might carry a very fast anti-fighter missile.)
Assault class; average speed, good maneuverability. Carries a pair of cannons and medium range Dumb-fire anti-ship missiles. (e.g. sabots)
Bomber; slow, average maneuverability, needs more than one hit to kill. carries a Fusion Anti-planetary weapon. (can be used against ships to.)
Recon; different per faction. (ICC might have a PD-beam while UGTO might have carry a ... .)

K'Luth, they only use fighters in a planet's atmosphere, or as personal shuttle of high ranking personnel. The human fighter concept is new but there are adapting fast.
Interceptor; fast, average maneuverability, has cloak (but weak in power). carries either, two anti-fighter cannons or a single disruptor.
Assault Class; average speed, good maneuverability. Carries a array of weak psi cannons and a AM torp launcher.
Bomber; Slow, average maneuverability. carries Biobombs (possibly even a weak scanner.)
Recon; (Should K'Luth even be allowed this? makes sense to me, unless recon-unit is cloaked.)

my 3 solid euro cents

The Master Debator
Cadet

Posted: 2008-08-24 16:52   
on the note of recon fighters, heck even all fighters, even when they are within 100gu of a planet, you cannot camera them and target the buildings. I find this counter productive

Also the torps are to be "low level" so they do not do as much damage as even a torpedo from say, a corvette

[ This Message was edited by: Fatal Sensation on 2008-08-24 17:21 ]

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
Page created in 0.019732 seconds.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024 Palestar Inc. All rights reserved worldwide.
Terms of use - DarkSpace is a Registered Trademark of PALESTAR