Combat Kills

Combat kills in last 24 hours:
No kills today... yet.

Upcoming Events

Search

Anniversaries

21th - Sir Oblivion {C?}

Social Media

Why not join us on Discord for a chat, or follow us on Twitter or Facebook for more information and fan updates?

Network

DarkSpace
DarkSpace - Beta
Palestar

[FAQ
Forum Index » » Soap Box » » Top 30 most loved Sci-Fi Movies
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
 Author Top 30 most loved Sci-Fi Movies
Fatal Rocko Willis
Fleet Admiral
Fatal Squadron

Posted: 2008-08-17 07:49   
He we go.. The top 30 as far as fans are concerned and not by the box office. NOTE: There are some upcoming movie spoilers in this Countdown.

#30) SERENITY - Writer/director Joss Whedon adapted his little-seen but much-beloved sci-fi/Western TV series "Firefly" into a little-seen but much-beloved movie.

#29) X-MEN: THE LAST STAND - The third movie adventure for Marvel Comics' uncanny band of mutants is the lowest ranking one, but the giant action sequences helped make it the highest-grossing film of the franchise.

#28) I AM LEGEND - In the most recent adaptation of Richard Matheson's classic novel, Will Smith battles not only an army of mindless, light-sensitive killers but also the solitude that threatens to drive him mad.

#27) DONNIE DARKO - A true mind bender. "Donnie Darko" spins the twisted tale of a disaffected teen told by a guy in a freaky rabbit costume that the world will end in 28 days.

#26) X2: X-MEN UNITED - Working on a grander scale than the first, director Bryan Singer's second X-movie retained much of what was so entertaining from the original while adding more action and more mutants.

#25) DEJA VU - A police thriller with a time-travel twist, this film features Denzel Washington as an ATF agent investigating a terrorist attack. He soon becomes part of a secret government program that can literally peer back into the past.

#24) ETERNAL SUNSHINE OF THE SPOTLESS MIND - The science fiction element of the story -- a medical procedure that can selectively erase memories from your brain -- is really just a device to explore heartache in this touching, Oscar-winning drama.

#23) GHOSTBUSTERS - Proof that the best way to deal with metaphysical questions of the afterlife is to strap an unlicensed nuclear accelerator to your back, "Ghostbusters" isn't the highest rated movie on this list, but it is the funniest.

#22) V FOR VENDETTA - Based on the graphic novel written by Alan Moore (creator of the upcoming Watchmen), "V for Vendetta" presents a totalitarian England in the near future where the only hope for freedom is a masked, potentially psychotic anarchist.

#21) THE TERMINATOR - With a mere $6 million budget, this now-classic action flick spawned two sequels, videogames, comic books, a TV show, and an upcoming prequel (that takes place 30 years after the original movie).

#20) X-MEN - Burned by years of ridiculous movie adaptations, comic book fans were wary about seeing Stan Lee's beloved "X-Men" on the big screen. But this stylish and serious take sparked a new age of superhero movies that continues to this day.

#19) PREDATOR - Roger Ebert said that this movie, "begins like Rambo and ends like Alien, and in today's Hollywood, that's creativity." Apparently, it must still be popular judging by how many of its stars became politicians.

#18) SUPERMAN - The granddaddy of the modern comic book movie, director Richard Donner's adaptation was the first to combine (then) state-of-the-art special effect with a true respect for the source material.

#17) STAR WARS: EPISODE III - REVENGE OF THE SITH - After waiting decades for it, fans flooded theaters to see the big lightsaber showdown between Anakin Skywalker and Obi-Wan Kenobi. Which is impressive, since everyone already knew who won.

#16) ALIEN - A groundbreaking mix of science fiction and horror, "Alien" has been freaking out audiences for nearly 30 years. From its strong female protagonist to the shocking gore, it is still imitated to this day.

#15) SPIDER-MAN - What made the movie of "Spider-Man" so successful were the same elements that made the comic book so beloved -- an average guy with real problems is given great power. With that, of course, comes great responsibility.

#14) JURASSIC PARK - It's a movie that wasn't just a hit; it ushered in a new age of filmmaking. By seamlessly integrating believable digital characters into dynamic, live-action footage, Steven Spielberg once again changed the course of cinema.

#13) TERMINATOR 2: JUDGMENT DAY - James Cameron's vision of sentient robots killing off the human race seemed much more real thanks to some breakthrough technology, an action-packed script, and a freakishly fluid foe.

#12) INCREDIBLES - The fact that this is the only animated film on this list is a testament to Pixar's brilliance not only in animation but also in simply telling a great story.

#11) CLOSE ENCOUNTERS OF THE THIRD KIND - Steven Spielberg once again changes the course of movie history with this groundbreaking sci-fi flick about aliens that aren't evil invaders. Plus, Richard Dreyfuss manages to make mashed potatoes really creepy.

#10) THE DAY THE EARTH STOOD STILL - The oldest film on the list, this 1951 sci-fi classic is a chilling cry for world peace at the height of the cold war. It also features one of cinema's first cool robots: Gort. A remake starring Keanu Reeves is coming this December.

#9) E.T. THE EXTRA-TERRESTRIAL - Steven Spielberg channels the pain of his parents' divorce into this intergalactic fairytale about Reese's Pieces, flying bicycles, and mug-faced aliens with glowing body parts.

#8) THE MATRIX - The Wachowski brothers wowed audiences everywhere with this movie featuring an unusual combination of cool effects, philosophical dialogue, and some of the best Kung Fu this side of the Pacific.

#7) BACK TO THE FUTURE - Part of what makes this movie great is that the science fiction elements are essential to the story without ever overwhelming it. Watching it you realize that all teenagers could relate to their parents if they just had a time machine.

#6) ALIENS - James Cameron takes the Ridley Scott's original intergalactic fright fest and adds a lot more guns, explosions, and chest-bursting, acid-bleeding aliens. The result is a pure sci-fi adrenaline rush.

#5) RETURN OF THE JEDI - George Lucas brings his first "Star Wars" trilogy to a rousing end with this archetypical tale of familial redemption -- and the awesome military might of cute fuzzy Ewoks.

#4) THE EMPIRE STRIKES BACK - The middle chapter of George Lucas' hugely influential space opera is also his most human in spite of the fact that one of its most important characters is a bat-eared puppet.

#3) TRANSFORMERS - In this film about giant evil robots that can turn into cars battling good robots that can also turn into cars, Michael Bay does what he does best -- wreck vast amounts of property with really cool explosions.

#2) STAR WARS - The first and best "Star Wars" has the sweep, characters, and action of some of the best tales ever told. And that's why after 30 years, it still captures the imagination of audiences all over the world.

#1) IRON MAN - The combination of good direction, great acting by Robert Downey Jr. and a seriously cool story has launched this summer blockbuster to the top of the charts. Is there a movie not on the list that should be? Let us know in the comments below.

This just goes to show you that not everyone Is a good critic... What about Blade Runner, The Fifth Element, Robocop, Starship Troopers, 2001: A Space Odyssey to name a few? Well this just shows what people like.. forrget if they were actually any good... Enjoy

Email Fatal Rocko Willis
LAG
Marshal
Lethal Assault Group

Posted: 2008-08-17 08:27   
What about UltraViolet and Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within?

Supertrooper
Marshal
Pitch Black

Posted: 2008-08-17 08:33   
Wheres 'An Inconvenient Truth'?

That was the best Sci-Fi movie.

Email Supertrooper
Smartin
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2008-08-17 09:37   
Quote:

On 2008-08-17 08:33, Crim {Pants?} wrote:
Wheres 'An Inconvenient Truth'?

That was the best Sci-Fi movie.

God, I really love you sometimes.

DarkSpace Community Website

Email Smartin
The Fisherman
Admiral
UGTO Expeditionary Fleet

Posted: 2008-08-17 09:55   
*chants*

Starship Troopers, Starship Troopers, Starship Troopers, Starship Troopers,

For ze no.1 spot =)

$yTHe {C?}
Grand Admiral
Sundered Weimeriners

Posted: 2008-08-17 11:28   
How in the hell did all three X-Men movies make it on there?

Also: LEELOO DALLAS MOOLTIPASS

Fattierob
Vice Admiral

Posted: 2008-08-17 12:57   
I don't see Cube 2: Hypercube on here.

Fornax
Marshal
Raven Warriors

Posted: 2008-08-17 13:01   
Gee, wow, I'd agree.

I'm disappointed at how skewed the list is towards movies that were on screen in the last 12-18 months. Pleased that some (like Serenity) made it on.

X-Men - frankly, other than the first, the rest were a bit disappointing.
Never seen a few of them - probably going to try putting some on my mental list (Donnie Darko & Deja Vu)

Star Wars - it was iconic but doesn't deserve to hold 3 positions in the top 5 (yeah, I'm more of a Trek guy, however, we all know the Trek films were nowhere near as consistent as SW)

Superman - cute but not to 30.
V For Vendetta - I saw it, I understood it & even liked it although I'd researched heavily and figured it would be mediocre. Very over-rated - doesn't deserve to be in the top 30 - not even close.

Transformers - good film, however, it really was just special effects. The story was lacking - that's the difference between a good film (Gladiator) with a truly epic/awesome film (such as Ben Hur).
-
I would ask where these films are:

Silent Running
Alien - the original - Alien + Aliens were a fantastic one-two punch in terms of being different yet great films on their own merits. Alien was just plain excellent.
Blade - really, not top 30 material, to me, but surprisingly good - a sleeper hit and better than many of the films listed.
Batman Begins - I'm sure many of us have seen "The Dark Knight". My own perspective was, TDK had all the good elements of BB PLUS Heath Ledger's portrayal of the Joker (was a lot like watching Hannibal Lector fighting our favorite Vigilante). I'm stunned that Batman Begins wasn't in the top 30.

Lots more, really - only the beginning.

Nax

Junky Da FunkyMonke
Admiral

From: The Hotel California, takes excursions to Deep Sexys Space every now and then
Posted: 2008-08-17 15:39   
Serenity 30? that movie was epic

Tommas [ USF HunnyBunny ]
Chief Marshal
Pitch Black

Posted: 2008-08-17 16:31   
bleh! seriusly...iron man??? transformers...it was a freekin love story for good sake..

That list is a load of crap if u ask me, ofc theres lots of good films there, but when theres 30 films its pretty hard not including some of them

[ This Message was edited by: Tommas [ KSF HunnyBunny ] on 2008-08-17 16:36 ]

Coeus
Grand Admiral
Sundered Weimeriners

Posted: 2008-08-17 17:00   
Let me guess... AOL poll? *rolleyes*

Not your best material Rocko... I expect better!

ICC Security Council Chief Enforcer

Email Coeus   Goto the website of Coeus
Nax
Marshal

Posted: 2008-08-17 18:40   
It appears to be a yahoo list

Fatal Rocko Willis
Fleet Admiral
Fatal Squadron

Posted: 2008-08-17 21:19   
i twas a Yahoo list.. good going Nax and the original Alien move was on there... you must have missed it...

Email Fatal Rocko Willis
Coeus
Grand Admiral
Sundered Weimeriners

Posted: 2008-08-17 22:30   
Original Alien was on there... way shorter than it should have been. Its just as bad being from Yahoo btw

ICC Security Council Chief Enforcer

Email Coeus   Goto the website of Coeus
Enterprise
Chief Marshal

Posted: 2008-08-18 00:42   
Quote:

On 2008-08-17 12:57, HeavyRob wrote:
I don't see Cube 2: Hypercube on here.

They made a sequel? The first one freaked me out enough. Amusing though.

-Ent

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
Page created in 0.025366 seconds.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024 Palestar Inc. All rights reserved worldwide.
Terms of use - DarkSpace is a Registered Trademark of PALESTAR