Upcoming Events

- Weekly DarkSpace
05/04/24 +4.0 Days

Search

Anniversaries

22th - Tellaris
17th - Oskar von Reuenthal

Social Media

Why not join us on Discord for a chat, or follow us on Twitter or Facebook for more information and fan updates?

Network

DarkSpace
DarkSpace - Beta
Palestar

[FAQ
Forum Index » » Developer Feedback » » Editor and Server
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
 Author Editor and Server
DarkSpin
Captain
Sanity Assassins

Posted: 2008-08-14 08:25   
I wanted to give you guys some feadback abut the editor and server desision.

It is by far my most favorate feature of darkspace but it will be removed. I will no longer be able to make maps and have all out war!!! I will no longer be able to make user videos as i will not be able to stage 100+ ships to make massive battles when player numbers are not suffisient enough to actualy record... I wont be able to just have fun geting 10+ people into a server and us haveing a blast takeing out a zillian ai and not haveing to wory about dieing....

thoughs were just my thoughts about it but it is not up to me. I am sure many of the players like me have the same or close to the same to say.

[ This Message was edited by: Agent_DarkSpin on 2008-08-14 08:26 ]

(' o ') - Website: DIAU.NET

Email DarkSpin   Goto the website of DarkSpin
BackSlash
Marshal
Galactic Navy

Posted: 2008-08-14 08:27   
We don't want to pollute the server list with player made servers.

And here was me thinking the GAME was the favourite part of DarkSpace. Just because a handful of people like hosting a server - it holds no true purpose for the game, and actually harms it.

Bardiche
Chief Marshal

Posted: 2008-08-14 09:14   
Does Jack mean hosting your own server harms the game or the editor harms the game?

If the latter, how does it harm the game?

DarkSpin
Captain
Sanity Assassins

Posted: 2008-08-14 11:03   
They get like this... it is normal... I am just saying that the editor is a really big reason that i continue to play darkspace... I like makeing my own maps and beating ai to death when i get bord with the official servers that are "playerless"

Rae
Admiral
Raven Warriors

Posted: 2008-08-14 13:53   
Hmmm... I thought I read something about the editor being removed.. that's too bad, I've enjoyed as much time building maps and playing around as I have playing the actual game. and to jack, imho I can't see how the editor/server takes away from the main game. player run servers will pose no threat to the darkspace servers ONLY WHEN THE DS SERVERS ARE CAPABLE OF PROVIDING A LAG/GLITCH FREE ENVIRONMENT. Until that time, why remove a part of the game that brings alot (although not all obviously) of people enjoyment?

The most people I've ever seen in a player run server was HALOS and that was what, like 35 ppl tops? and years ago to boot? todays non ds games might top 10 players, and again... if the ds servers can't handle that, well I'm just not sure what to say..

feel free to comment, cause i think the editor is part of what makes this game unique.

Leonide
Grand Admiral
Templar Knights

Posted: 2008-08-14 14:25   
Quote:

On 2008-08-14 08:27, BackSlash *Jack* wrote:
We don't want to pollute the server list with player made servers.

And here was me thinking the GAME was the favourite part of DarkSpace. Just because a handful of people like hosting a server - it holds no true purpose for the game, and actually harms it.

so in translation, you have to make up a bullcrap reason to delete a good part of Darkspace? customizable is a staple of darkspace, and you are deleting a good portion of that. YOU are doing more harm to Darkspace than good.

captain of the ICC Assault Cruiser C.S.S. Sledgehammer

Email Leonide
Fattierob
Vice Admiral

Posted: 2008-08-14 16:11   
backy's not directly responsible for the removal. chill with the personal attacks

Eledore Massis [R33]
Grand Admiral
Templar Knights

Posted: 2008-08-14 16:59   
To make it short,

I agree with the decision of the dev's, Despite the loss of the map editor.

However when DS has a better population in the future, i would like to see the "MAP" editor return.

Shigernafy
Admiral

Posted: 2008-08-16 12:41   
Honestly, I think the simple reason is that some of the server changes would have required a number of fixes to both programs to get them to work properly, but they weren't seen as a valuable time investment. So rather than have broken programs that no longer work on the new version, we just opted to remove them.

I'm not going to lie - I'll miss them, as I have done a fair bit of testing on private servers, and use the Editor quite frequently for testing and staff functions. Its a shame to lose those abilities. But there's not much I can do about it, as I'm not code-savvy enough to fix them and am not going to argue with Faustus about it. Like Eledore, though, I'd love to see them return some day...

Email Shigernafy
Fattierob
Vice Admiral

Posted: 2008-08-17 12:24   
Quote:

On 2008-08-16 12:41, Shigernafy wrote:
Like Eledore, though, I'd love to see them return some day...

thats waht 1.501 is for.

Eledore Massis [R33]
Grand Admiral
Templar Knights

Posted: 2008-08-17 17:24   
Quote:
On 2008-08-17 12:24, HeavyRob wrote:
Quote:
On 2008-08-16 12:41, Shigernafy wrote:
Like Eledore, though, I'd love to see them return some day...

thats waht 1.501 is for.

/me hugs the both of ya.

Another quicky about the server.
Why would anyone host a server?

In the past i personally have thought about it talked to other players the mods and dev's. And i can to the conclusion, no matter how much i might want to host one, it will still be a waste of energy.
There is insufficient player base to even populate the DS servers, players can't gain prestige on it, and no way i'm going to run editor to try to exploit the fun.
(don't start about the prestige server flags. I know, but with the current playerbase there isn't a chance any server will get that autorization.)

I had the will, i had the equipment, i had the tools. But however you think about it, hosting a server will not help DS and only be a waste.

That the tools no longer will be available when 1.500 hits is a shame but even if i had them, until i see a positive side about hosting one i won't.
I think the same goes for other players who want to contribute.

P.s.
Dev's, Admins and other monkeys.
If in the future the DS playerbase grows, and there is a possibility to help DS by donating server resources.
E.g. hosting a game server or mirroring data. Knock on my door.

JBud
Marshal

Posted: 2008-08-17 18:16   
I will be leaving when 1.500 drops because of this it is BS that you guys even think that we pollute your serverlist, I hate u jack,

and as soon as u fix the editor i will return but i dont want to play if it comes down to this FIX IT!!! it has been a part of this game for a while right?

i know im not the only member who wants the editor to stay... im sure other members will realize this and leave as well it is more than disapointing it is BS get off your lazy butts and fix it

if u cant i will put me on ill dedacate my dev work on the editor and the server programs and if i finnish then ill move on to the next problem that needs fixxing but got shoved aside like the ship import function or something i am serious it is a waste of good members to just ignore the map editor sooo many players will be upset i just hope that u will listen to us

[ This Message was edited by: JBud on 2008-08-17 18:27 ]

Email JBud   Goto the website of JBud
DarkSpin
Captain
Sanity Assassins

Posted: 2008-08-18 13:45   
Ok so you guys dont want to fix it.... give me the source I will make it work just you watch...

Nax
Marshal

Posted: 2008-08-18 14:13   
You might want to re-read the answering posts - and perhaps discount the part where we don't like player run servers.

JBud
Marshal

Posted: 2008-08-18 20:54   
why?

Email JBud   Goto the website of JBud
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
Page created in 0.023137 seconds.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024 Palestar Inc. All rights reserved worldwide.
Terms of use - DarkSpace is a Registered Trademark of PALESTAR