Upcoming Events

- Weekly DarkSpace
05/04/24 +2.2 Days

Search

Anniversaries

20th - Relient
19th - Entil-Zha the Starkiller

Social Media

Why not join us on Discord for a chat, or follow us on Twitter or Facebook for more information and fan updates?

Network

DarkSpace
DarkSpace - Beta
Palestar

[FAQ
Forum Index » » Soap Box » » Think you are paying a lot for gas?
 Author Think you are paying a lot for gas?
Fatal Rocko Willis
Fleet Admiral
Fatal Squadron

Posted: 2008-07-23 08:38   
In Norway, many motorists are up in arms over why they have to pay the highest petrol (gasoline) prices in Europe when the country is the world's fifth-largest oil exporter and a recent tax hike has done little to cool tempers.

"It is really strange: we have lots of oil and we're a rich country. Why do we have to pay so much?" asks Per-Arne Skjerpingstad, a 38-year-old hospital porter as he fills up the tank of his Peugeot 307 at an Oslo gas station for 750 kroner (94 euros, 148 dollars).

Diesel costs 14.23 kroner (1.78 euros, 2.82 dollars) a litre (quarter gallon) and 95 unleaded 13.84 kroner, putting it at the top of the European league, EU figures show.

And while many countries are discussing how to soften the blow of skyrocketing oil prices on consumers, Norway on July 1 increased its already heavy tax take by 0.05 kroner per litre on petrol and 0.10 kroner (0.1 euro cent, 0.2 dollar cent) on diesel.

Seven out of 10 Norwegians oppose the tax increase, according to a July poll by the daily VG.

"It's not the way to go. In a country like Norway, people need to have cars. I bought this car because I'm going to be a father soon," Skjerpingstad said.

Critics argue it is meaningless to increase taxation when oil prices have risen so much in the past months. And as the new tax increase is low, it won't significantly change drivers' behaviour.

Instead "we should lower tax because we are so fortunate to be an oil exporter," said Siv Jensen, the leader of the far-right Progress Party, the leading opposition group in Norway.

"We should give the money back to the people so they can enjoy it," she told AFP.

The tax increase is part of a wider government strategy to fight climate change by pushing Norwegians to leave their car at home.

"At a time when climate change is beginning to seriously impact the planet, and when Norway's carbon dioxide emissions are increasing, we politicians must take steps to meet these challenges," Finance Minister Kristin Halvorsen said.

The tax was agreed by all political parties, apart from the Progress Party, as part of the country's overall climate change policy.

But now supporters of the centre-left coalition government fear the tax increase will cost them dearly in the next elections, in September 2009.

"It's a very unwise political decision. The only thing it will accomplish is that the Progress Party will get even more votes," Labour MP Karita Bekkemellem told the daily VG in June.

A third of the population expect fuel prices to be the most important issue in the polls, according to a survey in Aftenposten, Norway's paper of reference.

Speculation has been rife over whether the far-right could come to power for the first time in the next election. Even Labour Prime Minister Jens Stoltenberg has acknowledged that the Progress Party could get into government.

Those living in rural and remote areas are particularly incensed about the tax increase as they are more dependent on cars than city dwellers who have access to public transport.

"This is a serious issue with many people I have spoken to and met in my region, (rural) Moere and Romsdal. Much more serious than for those who live in a small circle in Oslo and Gruenerloekka (a fashionable area in the capital) think," Bekkemellem told VG.

At the same time, there are those who think the protests are overdone since Norway is a rich country and should be able to afford high fuel prices in the service of a good cause.

Norwegian salaries are among the highest in the world and the government estimates an average industry worker here can buy twice as much petrol as his Spanish counterpart after working an hour.

"Of course petrol is expensive but it's okay. The standard of living is good here and salaries are high," said Stine Nore, a 28-year-old logistics manager as she filled up her black BMW estate.

"There have to be incentives for people to drive less. Driving is a luxury. People should only drive a car when it really is necessary,"

Email Fatal Rocko Willis
Mersenne Twister
Fleet Admiral

Posted: 2008-07-23 09:54   
you see the one where a guy poured gas on his car and set it on fire? was (trying) to protest because he couldnt afford to drive it anymore.
doing it wrong.

I wouldn't screw with it if I were you. The doctor already holds you in poor favor. Messing with this might really fry his shorts.

Lockerd
Fleet Admiral

Posted: 2008-07-23 10:27   
Quote:

On 2008-07-23 09:54, Mersenne Twister wrote:
you see the one where a guy poured gas on his car and set it on fire? was (trying) to protest because he couldnt afford to drive it anymore.
doing it wrong.

ya they shuld be driving the last it has into the gas stations themselves

Redemption (Angel of Light)
Grand Admiral
Interstellar Cultural Confederation United

Posted: 2008-07-24 16:05   
if that guy was so annoyed at the price to set his car on fire did he not care he still had to pay for the fuel, but hey i w wudve gone up to him and sayd if ur gunna waste it, why not waste it in my fuel tank

Email Redemption (Angel of Light)   Goto the website of Redemption (Angel of Light)
doda *EP5 no longer exception...*
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2008-07-24 17:58   
maybe he accounted for that the stunt would help his cause enough that in the end he would have saved money from it.

Tbone
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2008-07-27 14:16   
Norwegians have funny names.

Email Tbone
Coeus
Grand Admiral
Sundered Weimeriners

Posted: 2008-07-27 18:33   
So do you Cowbell boy

ICC Security Council Chief Enforcer

Email Coeus   Goto the website of Coeus
Eledore Massis [R33]
Grand Admiral
Templar Knights

Posted: 2008-07-29 11:30   
My local price
Euro95 > € 1.627 euro = 13.034 Norwegian kroner = $ 2.535 (USD) per 1L = 0.264 Gallon
Price ~40Km away, in Belgium.
Euro 95 > € 1.555 = 12.457 Norwegian kroner = $ 2.423 (USD) per 1L = 0.264 Gallon

And i hear the local prices in my country's big city's are touching € 1.70
While prices near the French boarder are still hovering around € 1.41/1.46

Unfortinatly i'm not following on how heavy the prices are taxed.

But i do want to add; that a lot of people in my region have started to use the bike for short distances. witch has increased the percentage of people people arriving to late for work.
Bike theft is currently on the police top three list, and i won't even mention the increase of cycler accidents.

Boring as ever,
E.M.

Alien Mastermind
Grand Admiral
Pitch Black

Posted: 2008-07-30 23:25   
Noobs. Just because your country is exporting oil doesn't mean you can set the prices to whatever you wish. You make a deal to export x amount of oil for a y amount of money ---> you no longer have x amount of oil. If you decide to keep that oil for yourself you will lose y amount of money. We're all in this together.

Email Alien Mastermind
Page created in 0.193757 seconds.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024 Palestar Inc. All rights reserved worldwide.
Terms of use - DarkSpace is a Registered Trademark of PALESTAR