No kills today... yet.

Upcoming Events

- Weekly DarkSpace
04/27/24 +10.9 Hours

Search

Anniversaries

No anniversaries today.

Social Media

Why not join us on Discord for a chat, or follow us on Twitter or Facebook for more information and fan updates?

Network

DarkSpace
DarkSpace - Beta
Palestar

[FAQ
Forum Index » » Developer Feedback » » Test: Quotes
 Author Test: Quotes
BackSlash
Marshal
Galactic Navy

Posted: 2008-06-13 07:40   
This is just a quote test - trying to guage what looks best for in-cased quotes (at the moment, they're larger than the ordinairy text, which makes zero sense).

Options are:
Big (currently as it is)
Big italic

Same size (this size text)
Same size italic

Small size (like this)
Small size italic

Big italic:
Quote:

England (pronounced /ˈɪŋglənd/) (Old English: Englaland, Middle English: Engelond) is the largest and most populous country[1][2][3] of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland. Its inhabitants account for more than 83% of the total population of the United Kingdom,[4] while the mainland territory of England occupies most of the southern two-thirds of the island of Great Britain and shares land borders with Scotland to the north and Wales to the west. Elsewhere, it is bordered by the North Sea, Irish Sea, Celtic Sea, Bristol Channel and English Channel.

England became a unified state in the year 927 and takes its name from the Angles, one of the Germanic tribes who settled there during the 5th and 6th centuries. The capital is London, the largest urban area in Great Britain, and the largest urban zone in the European Union by most, but not all, measures.[5]

England has had a significant cultural and legal impact on the wider world.[6] It is the place of origin of the English language and the Church of England, and English law forms the basis of the legal systems of many countries; in addition, London was the centre of the British Empire, and the country was the birthplace of the Industrial Revolution.[7] England was the first country in the world to become industrialised.[8] It is home to the Royal Society, which laid the foundations of modern experimental science. England was the world's first modern parliamentary democracy[9] and consequently many constitutional, governmental and legal innovations that had their origin in England have been widely adopted by other nations.

The Kingdom of England (including the Principality of Wales) continued as a separate state until 1 May 1707, when the Acts of Union, putting into effect the terms agreed in the Treaty of Union, resulted in political union with the Kingdom of Scotland to create the united Kingdom of Great Britain.[10]

Small:
Quote:

England (pronounced /ˈɪ©¯glənd/) (Old English: Englaland, Middle English: Engelond) is the largest and most populous country[1][2][3] of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland. Its inhabitants account for more than 83% of the total population of the United Kingdom,[4] while the mainland territory of England occupies most of the southern two-thirds of the island of Great Britain and shares land borders with Scotland to the north and Wales to the west. Elsewhere, it is bordered by the North Sea, Irish Sea, Celtic Sea, Bristol Channel and English Channel.

England became a unified state in the year 927 and takes its name from the Angles, one of the Germanic tribes who settled there during the 5th and 6th centuries. The capital is London, the largest urban area in Great Britain, and the largest urban zone in the European Union by most, but not all, measures.[5]

England has had a significant cultural and legal impact on the wider world.[6] It is the place of origin of the English language and the Church of England, and English law forms the basis of the legal systems of many countries; in addition, London was the centre of the British Empire, and the country was the birthplace of the Industrial Revolution.[7] England was the first country in the world to become industrialised.[8] It is home to the Royal Society, which laid the foundations of modern experimental science. England was the world's first modern parliamentary democracy[9] and consequently many constitutional, governmental and legal innovations that had their origin in England have been widely adopted by other nations.

The Kingdom of England (including the Principality of Wales) continued as a separate state until 1 May 1707, when the Acts of Union, putting into effect the terms agreed in the Treaty of Union, resulted in political union with the Kingdom of Scotland to create the united Kingdom of Great Britain.[10]

Big:
Quote:

England (pronounced /ˈɪŋglənd/) (Old English: Englaland, Middle English: Engelond) is the largest and most populous country[1][2][3] of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland. Its inhabitants account for more than 83% of the total population of the United Kingdom,[4] while the mainland territory of England occupies most of the southern two-thirds of the island of Great Britain and shares land borders with Scotland to the north and Wales to the west. Elsewhere, it is bordered by the North Sea, Irish Sea, Celtic Sea, Bristol Channel and English Channel.

Small italic:
Quote:

England (pronounced /ˈɪ©¯glənd/) (Old English: Englaland, Middle English: Engelond) is the largest and most populous country[1][2][3] of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland. Its inhabitants account for more than 83% of the total population of the United Kingdom,[4] while the mainland territory of England occupies most of the southern two-thirds of the island of Great Britain and shares land borders with Scotland to the north and Wales to the west. Elsewhere, it is bordered by the North Sea, Irish Sea, Celtic Sea, Bristol Channel and English Channel.

Normal italic:
Quote: (pretend)

[ This Message was edited by: BackSlash *Jack* on 2008-06-13 07:37 ]

Leviatan
Cadet

Posted: 2008-06-13 07:43   
I like the small non-italic text.

Gejaheline
Fleet Admiral
Galactic Navy

Posted: 2008-06-13 07:48   
Italic normal-sized text, I think. I'd say small text, or small italic, but I think it's just a tiny bit too small for my taste.

Eledore Massis [R33]
Grand Admiral
Templar Knights

Posted: 2008-06-13 08:37   
Quote:
On 2008-06-13 07:43, Leviatan wrote:

Same here: small text is what i would go for.

[ This Message was edited by: Eledore[NL] on 2008-06-13 08:40 ]

Shigernafy
Admiral

Posted: 2008-06-13 14:17   
Ironically, the text in the quote box is formatted to be smaller than the surrounding text already.. but our css and html don't mix too well in this particular case. But rather than using a tag as the quote currently does, I'd give it a span or something and assign it a class from the css (that you'd also have to add). That way we can tweak it again later if we want, but it will hopefully work as intended as well.

But I'd also see about conserving space in general; fewer
s and maybe a thinner

By the way Jack, if you haven't already found it: ../web/gamecq/phpbb/functions.php -> bbencode_quote()

Email Shigernafy
BackSlash
Marshal
Galactic Navy

Posted: 2008-06-13 14:27   
Quote:

On 2008-06-13 14:17, Shigernafy wrote:
Ironically, the text in the quote box is formatted to be smaller than the surrounding text already.. but our css and html don't mix too well in this particular case. But rather than using a tag as the quote currently does, I'd give it a span or something and assign it a class from the css (that you'd also have to add). That way we can tweak it again later if we want, but it will hopefully work as intended as well.

But I'd also see about conserving space in general; fewer
s and maybe a thinner

By the way Jack, if you haven't already found it: ../web/gamecq/phpbb/functions.php -> bbencode_quote()

Yeah, take a look at SVN when you get home - I fixed a few issues with the site today (cancel button, and editing). font size =-1 doesn't work (or shouldn't), so I can see where the problem lies. Either we can just use [small], or do something else with the size. A lot of people have said that normal sized italics might work...

Enterprise
Chief Marshal

Posted: 2008-06-13 14:42   
Quote:

Agreed.

-Ent

Smartin
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2008-06-13 16:09   
Any of them except for the small ones is ok with me. The small ones seem a bit painful on the eyes, but again it just could be me.

-Smartin-

DarkSpace Community Website

Email Smartin
Supertrooper
Marshal
Pitch Black

Posted: 2008-06-13 17:30   

Quote:

On 2008-06-13 14:42, Enterprise wrote:
Quote:

Agreed.

-Ent

Agreed!

Email Supertrooper
Fattierob
Vice Admiral

Posted: 2008-06-13 20:53   
I actually like quotes how are they are.

but, if thats not a choice, I prefer the small non-italic. Maybe bump the font size up by 1? a bit too small, I kinda lean towards

BackSlash
Marshal
Galactic Navy

Posted: 2008-06-14 02:40   
I can't really do in-betweens.

Small = font size 1
Medium = font size 2
Quote = font size 3
Big = font size 4

Shigernafy
Admiral

Posted: 2008-06-14 11:31   
Well right now regular text is 11px, and small text is 9; we could add a thing to the css to have quotes be 10px.

Email Shigernafy
BackSlash
Marshal
Galactic Navy

Posted: 2008-06-14 11:45   
Quote:

On 2008-06-14 11:31, Shigernafy wrote:
Well right now regular text is 11px, and small text is 9; we could add a thing to the css to have quotes be 10px.

Ah, wasn't aware we could edit that - but we could always add in a span="quote" or what not, and have it equal 10px...

Anyway, seems that the nightly build doesn't copy over the files to the beta website .

Leonide
Grand Admiral
Templar Knights

Posted: 2008-06-20 00:15   
Quote:

On 2008-06-13 20:53, 1000 Unit Block {OLIOLIO} wrote:
I actually like quotes how are they are.

but, if thats not a choice, I prefer the small non-italic. Maybe bump the font size up by 1? a bit too small, I kinda lean towards

i agree.

captain of the ICC Assault Cruiser C.S.S. Sledgehammer

Email Leonide
Page created in 0.019653 seconds.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024 Palestar Inc. All rights reserved worldwide.
Terms of use - DarkSpace is a Registered Trademark of PALESTAR