No kills today... yet.

Upcoming Events

- Weekly DarkSpace
04/27/24 +16.0 Hours

Search

Anniversaries

No anniversaries today.

Social Media

Why not join us on Discord for a chat, or follow us on Twitter or Facebook for more information and fan updates?

Network

DarkSpace
DarkSpace - Beta
Palestar

[FAQ
Forum Index » » Developer Feedback » » Just some ideas I have been considering: critique please
 Author Just some ideas I have been considering: critique please
_x$witchBladex_ [1.480 Fanboy]
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2008-06-12 19:44   
Now this is just some ideas I have considered to help out the Dev's in their coding, since Draf asked for us not to say "this sucks" and instead give suggestions.
---------------
Cloak
---------------
Currently, I feel the cloak timer is a little borked. The immediate disappearing of the ship is not very well timed with the lowering signature. Is there a way to have the hull disappear gradually along with the signature to match?

---------------
Beacons
---------------
I think many people can agree that the new beacon system is a little annoying. Aren't beacons supposed to make a ship completely visible? Possibly limit it to one beacon per ship, and even if that ship is cloaked make them visible.

One solution I have thought of is making it so instead of raising the signature of the ship and/or giving the stats of the ship (hull/armor) have it so that enemies can only target the beacon itself rather than the player. That is, make it so there is a red diamond that reads something like "Beacon: Player Name"

---------------
Defense Bases
---------------
Defense bases as we all know are being revamped. From what I have heard, there is a possibility of missiles and fighters being removed to reduce strain on servers. I am actually just asking you as the community to offer ideas for the Dev's to look at and consider.

My personal feeling is that beams should not attack flying by ships because beams really should only have enough power to take out missiles/fighters/beacons/etc. And as Draf has stated, defense platforms will be the major forms of defense instead.

Any of you players have legitmate ideas? Please mark in bold what area you are talking about.

[ This Message was edited by: _x$witchBladex_ the Rum Loving Pirate on 2008-06-12 19:48 ]
* [=TB=]Enterprise @39933 sent to Clan: "Thats a lie Switch, you'd never let anyone else drink rum if it were right there. You'd slip teh roofies in and start drinking it yourself and not even realize it."

BackSlash
Marshal
Galactic Navy

Posted: 2008-06-13 07:17   
Quote:

On 2008-06-12 19:44, _x$witchBladex_ the Rum Loving Pirate wrote:
Now this is just some ideas I have considered to help out the Dev's in their coding, since Draf asked for us not to say "this sucks" and instead give suggestions.
---------------
Cloak
---------------
Currently, I feel the cloak timer is a little borked. The immediate disappearing of the ship is not very well timed with the lowering signature. Is there a way to have the hull disappear gradually along with the signature to match?

The disipearing of the hull (or fading out) is timed with the activation of the device, and not the sig levels, as I believe we would have a few issues with the current pinging that we've left in. As this is purely asthetic, and a very minor one at that, I'm not sure it'll be fixed before release, but if there's time, I'm sure it will.

Quote:

---------------
Beacons
---------------
I think many people can agree that the new beacon system is a little annoying. Aren't beacons supposed to make a ship completely visible? Possibly limit it to one beacon per ship, and even if that ship is cloaked make them visible.

One solution I have thought of is making it so instead of raising the signature of the ship and/or giving the stats of the ship (hull/armor) have it so that enemies can only target the beacon itself rather than the player. That is, make it so there is a red diamond that reads something like "Beacon: Player Name"

Ah, beacons. Cloak is part of K'luths armour, and as such, rendering it completely useless with such a tiny device, is a little silly looking from a design perspective. Flux and Pulse Wave cannot be equally countered (and no, adding abilities to disable them is not the right way to fix this).

It was purely a balance choice to remove the ability to completely disable cloak, but, each beacon adds 20 signature to the ship, and so with 3 on your ship (currently the maximum allowed), you should see an increased cloak time - but not be left stranded.

Currently I believe you can target beacons on a ship and even when the ship cloaks, you can target them - but this is just a bug, and I believe it will be fixed.

Quote:

---------------
Defense Bases
---------------
Defense bases as we all know are being revamped. From what I have heard, there is a possibility of missiles and fighters being removed to reduce strain on servers. I am actually just asking you as the community to offer ideas for the Dev's to look at and consider.

My personal feeling is that beams should not attack flying by ships because beams really should only have enough power to take out missiles/fighters/beacons/etc. And as Draf has stated, defense platforms will be the major forms of defense instead.

Any of you players have legitmate ideas? Please mark in bold what area you are talking about.

We are indeed toying with the idea of removing fighter bases from the game, or severaly limiting the amount of fighters they can produce. We havn't had a talk about def bases yet, but they will be getting a re-vamp.

Hope that answers your questions.

Ulven Skyblade
Marshal
Non Omnis Moriar

Posted: 2008-06-13 12:55   
def bases should form the main defence of a planet because planets are moving. and if you place def platforms they will not be able to defend a planet for more then 2 hours or so.

The more you see, the more you read, the more you hear, the more you know that you know nothing. And that the truth is nothing more then a personal judgment on the world around us by the people around us.

Gejaheline
Fleet Admiral
Galactic Navy

Posted: 2008-06-13 13:01   
Presumably either planets will remain still, or platforms will be able to follow them. I reckon the former, since the idea of something that kills you instantly floating around willy-nilly gives me the shivers.

Supertrooper
Marshal
Pitch Black

Posted: 2008-06-13 13:08   
Quote:

On 2008-06-13 07:17, BackSlash *Jack* wrote:

We are indeed toying with the idea of removing fighter bases from the game, or severaly limiting the amount of fighters they can produce. We havn't had a talk about def bases yet, but they will be getting a re-vamp.

Hope that answers your questions.

I think putting fighters on platforms, instead of planets, would be a better idea. Limit the number of fighters it can send out. Kind of like Sins of a Solar Empire and it's fighter bases.

Email Supertrooper
Deltabacon
Fleet Admiral

Posted: 2008-06-16 11:48   
i think the planets should move but very slowly but its noticable day to day. maybe set to for 1000 gu's a day or something just to add realism?

Eledore Massis [R33]
Grand Admiral
Templar Knights

Posted: 2008-06-16 11:54   
Quote:
On 2008-06-16 11:48, Deltaflyer *OPS* wrote:
i think the planets should move but very slowly but its noticable day to day. maybe set to for 1000 gu's a day or something just to add realism?

In beta planets already have there orbit speeds, but if platforms can't orbit or follow them, planets will in a strange way run away from them.

Axianda The Royal
Fleet Admiral
Terra Squadron

Posted: 2008-06-16 13:00   
Quote:

On 2008-06-16 11:54, Eledore[NL] wrote:
Quote:
On 2008-06-16 11:48, Deltaflyer *OPS* wrote:

In beta planets already have there orbit speeds, but if platforms can't orbit or follow them, planets will in a strange way run away from them.

might be a lot of work but thats what tractor beams are for right?

also if i heard correctly a platform has a life expectency of around a day b4 its gone... so when you take time to reload it you might as well take the time to position it correctly.

- Axi

CrashDown
Cadet

Posted: 2008-06-20 03:43   
lets make sirius 1 go at a billion gu a sec again

Page created in 0.018139 seconds.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024 Palestar Inc. All rights reserved worldwide.
Terms of use - DarkSpace is a Registered Trademark of PALESTAR