No kills today... yet.

Upcoming Events

- Weekly DarkSpace
04/27/24 +13.6 Hours

Search

Anniversaries

No anniversaries today.

Social Media

Why not join us on Discord for a chat, or follow us on Twitter or Facebook for more information and fan updates?

Network

DarkSpace
DarkSpace - Beta
Palestar

[FAQ
Forum Index » » Developer Feedback » » The cost of Dreads and Stations.
 Author The cost of Dreads and Stations.
Supertrooper
Marshal
Pitch Black

Posted: 2008-05-18 01:01   
I've been thinking about the vast difference between the smaller ships (Scouts, Frigates, Dessies, Cruisers) and the larger ones (Dreads, Stations).
The smaller ships don't exactly stand a chance against the Dreads, and being that most pilots will automaticaly go to dreads giving the new players the shaft. So, came up with an idea.

And I think that fielding a Dread or Cruiser aught to be a very big resource cost. Something to where not everyone and their mother will be in one. Their ment for large fleet engagements, seiging a system, not the normal skirmish warfare we end up seeing most of the time in the MV.

I'm not too sure how much the resource should cost, but it should take awhile to gain. Dreads should be something that in a fleet of fifty, six or seven pilots should have. Stations should be in a fleet of fifty, two should have. Not 40 Dreads with five cruisers and five stations.

Which this brings me to another idea, kind of. The no resource cap on a planet basicaly negates this idea. I'd think planets would have a certain limit on to how much it can hold. It isnt really logical that there would be massive ammounts of resources stockpiled on a planet like there is now.

And I'm sure the 'Super-Terran' planet idea would help out with this too.

[ This Message was edited by: Crim {R33} on 2008-05-18 01:02 ]

Email Supertrooper
Eledore Massis [R33]
Grand Admiral
Templar Knights

Posted: 2008-05-18 13:49   
Actually reading this over i found that it makes perfect sense.
Problem is how are we going to implement this in game?

We could say each ship requires a Upkeep. (tnks MGT topic in release for this fast idea.)
But of what resources or credits? and if there resources where must those be paid. and if there credits how will this work?
And if there credits could Fleeted planets be beneficial to fleets, and how will non fleeted players be able to pay for there upkeep of there ships?

It might be a good idea but need to think of the details because i just come up with loads of questions.

Each ship must pay a amount of X each Y minutes ?
    Will those X just be deducted or just transferred to some place else? (faction vault) or even have faction tax on those X?
    If after Y minutes no X can be paid what than?
    No X available so can't play ?
    Are X required over the entire MV or are X just deducted where you spawned your ship?
    If X are required where you spawn your ship, what happens if your moving to a other system what will happen ?

But there are even other aspects you start to think about.

your no longer being able to pay X, can you still repair and rearm at a planet?
    Should supply's have less X over time because they provide additional resource support to the fleet. (generate revenue).
    If a ship is not paying X should a supply still be able to repair and reload that ship?

As said the idea is nice but when i am thinking of how to construct a system of it, I get a instant headache.
The coding will be extensive
Might be something for the future.

Supertrooper
Marshal
Pitch Black

Posted: 2008-05-18 15:58   
Yeah, thats the real hard part about the idea.

Theres alot of questions on how well it could work out, and how to balance it right. Hm.

Email Supertrooper
Bitopherous
1st Lieutenant

Posted: 2008-05-20 15:16   
What about a mix of past and current?

Old resource system (think .480 scenarios), the credits to get a ship were pulled per faction. If there werent enough credits, you couldnt pull larger ships...

New idea (or I may have stolen it): Credits to pull ships are shared by the fleet. These credits are supplied by the planets a fleet has under their control. Dont make the credits the planets are providing a huge amount, and they will have to wait for enough to accumulate. Of course, a player may just take 6 ships, mod them, and leave them in their garage until needed. Most players did that anyway, so not a huge change.

Players that are not fleeted will use credits from a general pool, provided by unfleeted planets. And maaaaybe the jump gate? Can we do that?

Anyway, feedback...

Email Bitopherous
Supertrooper
Marshal
Pitch Black

Posted: 2008-05-20 15:25   
That sounds like it could actually work, Bito.

The old credit system did seem to work, and it gives a good use for Credits now. Seeing how all their used for is well, nothing.

Email Supertrooper
Bitopherous
1st Lieutenant

Posted: 2008-05-22 13:45   
Ships wouldnt cost the players their personal credits. That could be used for the budding black market...

Use the word "resource" or "parts" or whatever, but it would be a system ONLY for new ships. Players wouldnt have any effect on that pool except for the capping of planets.

Email Bitopherous
Page created in 0.010680 seconds.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024 Palestar Inc. All rights reserved worldwide.
Terms of use - DarkSpace is a Registered Trademark of PALESTAR