Combat Kills

Combat kills in last 24 hours:
No kills today... yet.

Upcoming Events

Search

Anniversaries

14th - wolf420

Social Media

Why not join us on Discord for a chat, or follow us on Twitter or Facebook for more information and fan updates?

Network

DarkSpace
DarkSpace - Beta
Palestar

[FAQ
Forum Index » » Beta Testing Discussion » » [484] Metaverse
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
 Author [484] Metaverse
Doran
Chief Marshal
Galactic Navy

Posted: 2008-04-21 13:02   
List of edits beta mv needs to match release mv:

1. DoneReplace Sol with Real Sol map
  2. DoneReplace Cincinnati with R33 map
  3. Done Add AC -> Barnard's gate, fix linking
  4. Done Add Lala -> R33 gate
  5. Done Add R33 -> Lala gate
  6. Done Add R33 -> Eps Carn gate
  7. Done Add Eps Carn -> R33 gate
  8. Done Add Eps Carn -> BD gate
  9. Done Add Eps Carn -> DP gate
  10. Done Add BD -> Eps Carn gate
  11. Done Add DP -> Eps Carn gate
  12. Done Add Eps Ind -> Tau gate, fix linking Tau-side
  13. Done Set Sirius 6 to Neutral
  14. Done Check Taf default faction
  15. Done Move home gates nearby home planets
  16. Done Increase home gate safe zones to 3kgu
  17. Done Move Leaph to Sag orbit
  18. Done Rename nebula in Proc
  19. Done Rename nebula in Luyten
  20. Done Add home planet and gate for mir
  21. Done Add home planet and gate for pirates
  22. Done Spread out Orayann cluster in DP
  23. Done Rename nebula in CD
  24. Done Rename nebula in Lala
  25. Done Set Neptune to default Neutral
  26. Done Set Venus to default Neutral
  27. Done Set Mars to default Neutral
  28. Done Set home planets to default faction ownership
  29. Done Spread out Poly cluster in Eps Carn
  30. Done Remove random monsters in Eps Ind/CD
  31. Done Renamed all jumpgates
  32. Done Added special purpose/event-use planets
  33. Done Set Thetis 1 to Ocean
  34. Done Updated all stars to use new star model

Is there anything else that i need to add to the list?

[small][ This Message was edited by: Doran on 2008-04-23 11:48 ][/small]

[ This Message was edited by: Doran on 2008-05-01 13:50 ]

Faustus
Marshal
Palestar

Posted: 2008-04-21 13:53   
Looks good...

I've been thinking about making the MV winnable... we could leave the home planets protected by the safe zone... but they can't be a win condition in that case. That is probably ok...

-Richard

Goto the website of Faustus
Eledore Massis [R33]
Grand Admiral
Templar Knights

Posted: 2008-04-21 15:32   
maybe its time to take a look at the Home-system design contest?
may even bumb that thread, and add a good home system for K'Luth and ICC.

Supertrooper
Marshal
Pitch Black

Posted: 2008-04-21 15:59   
Quote:

On 2008-04-21 13:53, Faustus wrote:
Looks good...

I've been thinking about making the MV winnable... we could leave the home planets protected by the safe zone... but they can't be a win condition in that case. That is probably ok...

-Richard

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGH NO.

Taking over a home planet is something that has to be there, else Darkspace would be a game where you can almost-sort-of-kinda take over the universe, while you can also sit in a safezone.

Remember that in .484 bombing something like a Home Planet will be a very big effort, not the two key-stroke process it is now.

Email Supertrooper
Doran
Chief Marshal
Galactic Navy

Posted: 2008-04-21 17:07   
@ele, currently the problem is there doesnt seem to be any way of importing those maps into the resourcer and at the moment im doubtfull about the ability to re-create the layout of those maps manually

as far as objectives go, i think it'd be the same as it has been, total control over the mv. i could probably set it up so it looks at just the stars, since they cant be captured directly, only thru a majority of the planets in each system, and maybe 1-2 other flag planets in each system.
but we'll have to see how bombing works out first.

Doran
Chief Marshal
Galactic Navy

Posted: 2008-04-21 19:11   
ive noticed that new players tend to longjump between systems initiallyrather than use gates, or exhibit some confusion about where a gate leads to.

so to make it easier for new players to navigate jumpgates, im going to rename all the jumpgates.
instead of "Sol Gate:1", the gates will have the system of origin and the destination in their name, such as "Tau Ceti To Delta Pavonis"

Smartin
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2008-04-21 19:25   
1. Make every planet in the metaverse available to be conqured. I think if bombing is fixed then this won't be an issues.

2. I like the jumpgate idea a lot. Even if we couldn't put the full path of the gate in the title maybe have it in the discription.?

DarkSpace Community Website

Email Smartin
Doran
Chief Marshal
Galactic Navy

Posted: 2008-04-21 20:27   
1) thats roughly 220 objectives vs. like 15

2) perhaps, but theres no description for gates. they do list their destination, but i dont think many people pay attention to that. i dont myself and experianced players dont really need to.

Enterprise
Chief Marshal

Posted: 2008-04-21 22:11   
A couple of suggestions I think might make MV winning a less unappealing thing...

For one, with bombing fixed, safe zones would unneccessary, but it still leaves a problem, that home planets and systems tend to be constantly attacked first - its not hard to bypass nearly every system, even without wormholes. It has been a consistent problem in past versions.. after all, just about every point of common sense says that home systems should be the hardest things in the world to get to and conquer.

So just a few changes, which would probably coding changes, maybe not even this version, but... worth thinking about I like to think.

System capture should, in my belief take at least holding 75% of the planets in that current system, including flag planets which should be added to the MV. One or two each system, perhaps such planets could have a modifier that allows additional buildings and population, heightening their importance.

If a sufficent trading system was ever implemented, forcing structures to take a constant supply of resources would force planets to rely on one another for resources in a supply chain. Thus the concept of sieging comes into place. I dont think I have to elaborate more there.

The next suggestion proposes a fix to concentrating combat without forcing systems to be so linear. Im very certain it has been suggested before somewhere but Ill reiterate it anyways here. The simple idea is to prevent the ability to attack systems that are not 'contested.'

The concept is simple, it adds the idea of neutral systems, systems that do not have the 75% more and flag planets owned by one faction. If it doesnt then the system is contested, essentially neutral. Anyone bordering that system could enter and engage there.

The idea is that a fleet could not merely 'skip' systems, the point being that if they did not have ownership of the system and the system was not neutral, the jumpgates would simply not work for them, forcing people to fight in the neutral areas, while leaving owned areas essentially safe.

Of course this does not solve the problem of long jumping, however given the distances and the time taken, unless the first assault were successful to establish a foothold and a shipyard, an attacking force would be well and truely caught; at least in a contested system you could get back in the fight almost immediately.

The whole thing would go on until reaching a factions home system. The part of this suggestion that has a ring of truth to it, an option to designate a factions home planet, via the map editor. It could made so that no matter what, that planet could not be captured unless every other planet in that faction was, thereby leaving homeplanets relatively safe - until a faction gets beaten back to their last bastion of power.

A bit flighty the whole lot of it, but it would put on a new facet to MV fighting, and offer more permanent solutions to temporary fixes in long standing issues.

-Ent

Rhiawhyn Zerinth
Fleet Admiral
Templar Knights

Posted: 2008-04-21 23:07   
Quote:

On 2008-04-21 22:11, Enterprise wrote:
A couple of suggestions I think might make MV winning a less unappealing thing...

For one, with bombing fixed, safe zones would unneccessary, but it still leaves a problem, that home planets and systems tend to be constantly attacked first - its not hard to bypass nearly every system, even without wormholes. It has been a consistent problem in past versions.. after all, just about every point of common sense says that home systems should be the hardest things in the world to get to and conquer.

So just a few changes, which would probably coding changes, maybe not even this version, but... worth thinking about I like to think.

System capture should, in my belief take at least holding 75% of the planets in that current system, including flag planets which should be added to the MV. One or two each system, perhaps such planets could have a modifier that allows additional buildings and population, heightening their importance.

If a sufficent trading system was ever implemented, forcing structures to take a constant supply of resources would force planets to rely on one another for resources in a supply chain. Thus the concept of sieging comes into place. I dont think I have to elaborate more there.

The next suggestion proposes a fix to concentrating combat without forcing systems to be so linear. Im very certain it has been suggested before somewhere but Ill reiterate it anyways here. The simple idea is to prevent the ability to attack systems that are not 'contested.'

The concept is simple, it adds the idea of neutral systems, systems that do not have the 75% more and flag planets owned by one faction. If it doesnt then the system is contested, essentially neutral. Anyone bordering that system could enter and engage there.

The idea is that a fleet could not merely 'skip' systems, the point being that if they did not have ownership of the system and the system was not neutral, the jumpgates would simply not work for them, forcing people to fight in the neutral areas, while leaving owned areas essentially safe.

Of course this does not solve the problem of long jumping, however given the distances and the time taken, unless the first assault were successful to establish a foothold and a shipyard, an attacking force would be well and truely caught; at least in a contested system you could get back in the fight almost immediately.

The whole thing would go on until reaching a factions home system. The part of this suggestion that has a ring of truth to it, an option to designate a factions home planet, via the map editor. It could made so that no matter what, that planet could not be captured unless every other planet in that faction was, thereby leaving homeplanets relatively safe - until a faction gets beaten back to their last bastion of power.

A bit flighty the whole lot of it, but it would put on a new facet to MV fighting, and offer more permanent solutions to temporary fixes in long standing issues.

-Ent

Now that is an idea...

In a nutshell he said that unless you controll the system next to an enamys you cant use the gate to said system.

And as for the home planet capture... keep the safezone UNTILL the system has been contested, then lo and behold.. its gone ;P.

Otherwise i would like to see this feature implimented, it soulds like one hell of an idea to me

Eledore Massis [R33]
Grand Admiral
Templar Knights

Posted: 2008-04-22 01:51   
Darn nice idea Ent

But thinking about it i remembering conversations i have had with the devs

Planets might evolve in to a higher Level of technology/sophistication as time passes, This will have affect on all the planets characteristics.
Considering that the Home Planet will be the longest held planet it will should be one of the few that might holster the best defenses.
And maybe a addition of some non-movable platforms in orbit.

But only time will tell.

[ This Message was edited by: Eledore[NL] on 2008-04-22 01:51 ]

Sixkiller
Marshal
Courageous Elite Commandos

Posted: 2008-04-22 02:56   
about the skipping systems, i thought ross 348 had a solution, the jumpgate was so close to the cluster, you would always get spotted, and likely attacked.
So perhaps we should relocate the jumpgates in home systems and have a planet cluster near it, perhaps even more systems then just the home systems.

Faustus
Marshal
Palestar

Posted: 2008-04-22 09:06   
I might be able to change it so jumpgates can be controlled (i.e. captured).. that would be nice.

Goto the website of Faustus
Mersenne Twister
Fleet Admiral

Posted: 2008-04-22 10:04   
perhaps, but unless gates are also changed to only allow allied traffic, it wont be any different then their current functionality

I wouldn't screw with it if I were you. The doctor already holds you in poor favor. Messing with this might really fry his shorts.

BackSlash
Marshal
Galactic Navy

Posted: 2008-04-22 12:24   
Takes one ship 10 minutes to capture a gate alone, each person behind that removes a third of the time it takes the capture?

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
Page created in 0.016845 seconds.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024 Palestar Inc. All rights reserved worldwide.
Terms of use - DarkSpace is a Registered Trademark of PALESTAR