No kills today... yet.

Upcoming Events

- Weekly DarkSpace
05/11/24 +3.2 Days

Search

Anniversaries

19th - Server

Social Media

Why not join us on Discord for a chat, or follow us on Twitter or Facebook for more information and fan updates?

Network

DarkSpace
DarkSpace - Beta
Palestar

[FAQ
Forum Index » » Soap Box » » Nibiru
 Author Nibiru
Kanman
Grand Admiral
Pitch Black

Posted: 2008-03-30 18:29   
So, I was surfing around youtube, thinking about watching some parts of an old Science Channel show called "Alien Planet". It was a show discussing ideas of what alien life would look like, theoretical ecosystems, etc. Very speculative, but fun stuff.

Anyway, in looking this up, I came across a few videos centered around the word "Nibiru". I thought it was another show similar to the one I was seeking, so I thought I would give it a look. It turned out to be some ellaborate and poorly constructed conspiracy theory.

Here is what I was able to gather. Feel free to stop and laugh as you follow along.

Nibiru is the name of a planet out farther than pluto, orbiting a small 'brown star'. This brown star is orbiting Sol in a perpendicular manner than we (the planets) do. It periodically (every few thousand years) swings in to about Earth-distance from Sol, carrying with it Nibiru and a series of other planets and moons. Some of these other planets are Jupiter size.

Nibiru is inhabited by aliens. They are where the typical aliens we all know when we think little green men come from. The government is in on it (whose government?), as are the Freemasons and the Illuminati.

When they swing by in 2012, the 'magnetic' pull of Nibiru will cause the Earth to stop spinning for 3 days, reverse the magnetic pole of the planet and the reverse our rotation so the sun rises from the West. Other standard doomsday things will occur (tornados, 1000-ft waves, earthquakes, etc).

Recently, an Earth-based observatory took new images of the brown star and its planets. This observatory is in the South pole, and took these images in January..... When the sun never sets down there (Magic telescope).

That's about it. Hope you all got a good laugh. The funniest part is that I didnt make any of this up. Look it up for yourself. The grammar, spelling and scientific language they use destroys their credibility (so much so that there are no de-bunking videos on youtube and no mention of these planets in wikipedia). It is self-debunking.

GothThug {C?}
Fleet Admiral

Posted: 2008-03-30 18:54   
all i has to say is LULZ XD

Email GothThug {C?}
Sardaukar
Admiral
Raven Warriors

Posted: 2008-03-30 20:25   
I thought Nibiru was a Linux version, not an apocralpytic (Pratchett power!) planet...

or is it...

$yTHe {C?}
Grand Admiral
Sundered Weimeriners

Posted: 2008-03-30 20:31   
YOU CAN'T LULZ; IT IS A NOUN. THAT IS LIKE CHEESEBURGERING, WHICH IN YOUR CASE MAY BE ACCURATE.

GOD.

Kanman
Grand Admiral
Pitch Black

Posted: 2008-03-30 20:51   
After a couple of hours researching on university websites and other scholarly sources, I have discovered that much of their story is in fact true. The aliens part is non sense, but this brown star and its planets DO exist and it DOES swing in close to the sun (about Jupiter distance) every few million years! It is apparently the reason the asteroid belt never developed into a planet, being scattered by irregular gravity as this cluster passes.

No, I'm just kidding. It's all bull! haha.

Ramius
Fleet Admiral
Agents

Posted: 2008-03-30 21:01   
While some of this may be untrue, you may want to read about Nemesis Theory. Essentially there is a brown dwarf with a periodicity around 26,000,000 years in length. It is meant to be an alternative theory towards mass extinction due to disruption of gravitational fields within our solar system.

Nemesis Theory on Wikipedia:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nemesis_Theory

Here is one of the most recent postulates, stating that such a large orbit for Nemesis is stable:
http://muller.lbl.gov/papers/Lunar_impacts_Nemesis.pdf

Enjoy.

Email Ramius
Ramius
Fleet Admiral
Agents

Posted: 2008-03-30 21:24   
An addendum:

A few things to add. No, there are no "brown stars." However, there are brown dwarfs, and they are quite common. Essentially a brown dwarf is a condensed object of hydrogen and helium but does not have enough mass to undergo Hydrogen to Helium fusion (once the stellar core ignites, it is considered a star). In essence, they are "failed" or "stillborn" stars.

Also, while there most likely is no Nibiru or Planet X, since all human spacecraft exiting the solar system would have to have slight course adjustments being made to their trajectories to account for a larger mass, there are exta-solar planetoids and other such objects.

While nothing the size of a major planet has ever been found, occasionally these objects pass through our solar system from the Kuiper Belt. This belt is located roughly 55 AU away from the the sun in the solar system's ecliptic. Pluto could be considered a Kuiper object.

In addition to that, our solar system could be surrounded by an even larger and more massive grouping of objects known as the Oort cloud. This collection of small objects is at a much larger distance, between 3,000 AU to 50,000 AU, yet occupies a spheroid around our Sun. No direct observations of this phenomenon have been made, however, it is a possible source of comets that enter into our solar system that have large periodicities as well.

Email Ramius
Leviatan
Cadet

Posted: 2008-03-31 03:45   
Cool guys.

Earth stopping to a halt even in 10 years requires a completely tremendously amusing & mind-boggling amount of force, that your little brown dwarf would be hard pushed to cause a noticeable slowdown. Unless ofcourse, it would hit Earth, in case which, it is a cataclysm and just not just a mass extinction. Although, there would not be much left of Earth afterwards.

Anyway, this brown dwarf theory is so utter screaming garbage that I can't understand why do some people even believe into such.

Not sure if it occurs to everybody but a brown dwarf would be about as bright as moon by now if it was close enough to come near Earth. In the next 50 years. And it would be visible on the whole southern hemisphere, NOT just the south pole.

Then you get the radiation interference, magnetic interference, gravitic interference and so on.... I'm sure you will notice the arrival of a traveling star before it's even visible, actually. Most weather stations would likely notice it even earlier due to the effect it would have on Earth's atmosphere, especially the ionosphere and upwards.

PS. there are satellite types that would likely break from such a severe disturbance long before it's close to us

PPS. unless you live in a cave it's difficult not to notice a large number of satellites either going malfunctional or deciding to migrate away from earth orbit

[small][ This Message was edited by: Leviatan on 2008-03-31 03:47 ][/small]

[ This Message was edited by: Leviatan on 2008-03-31 03:49 ]

Page created in 0.014383 seconds.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024 Palestar Inc. All rights reserved worldwide.
Terms of use - DarkSpace is a Registered Trademark of PALESTAR