No kills today... yet.

Upcoming Events

- Weekly DarkSpace
05/11/24 +2.9 Days

Search

Anniversaries

19th - Server

Social Media

Why not join us on Discord for a chat, or follow us on Twitter or Facebook for more information and fan updates?

Network

DarkSpace
DarkSpace - Beta
Palestar

[FAQ
Forum Index » » Soap Box » » Processor Question
 Author Processor Question
Fatal Rocko Willis
Fleet Admiral
Fatal Squadron

Posted: 2008-02-08 12:38   
I have a question about a Dell system I am about to purchase... No nee to ask why this or that... I Just want to know which proccessor is better and why you think so.. Serious Input Only plz....

Choice A:) AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual-Core 4400+ ... or

Choice B:) Intel Core 2 Duo Processor E4500

all other things are the same system wise, just my choice of processors...

Any Comments?

Email Fatal Rocko Willis
Deadly Assassin
Marshal

Posted: 2008-02-08 12:58   
Hmmm...i want the nice shiny red one!

DarkScorpion
Marshal
Sanity Assassins

Posted: 2008-02-08 13:03   
well i personal have the 64 x2 4400 and it dose me just fine no probs

Leviatan
Cadet

Posted: 2008-02-08 13:34   
Intel one.

The AMD one you have mentioned; is the equivalent to Intel E2160, which quite obviously, is lighter than the E4X series Intel CPU you also mentioned.

Intel in my opinion, has become far superior compared to AMD in the entry- and mid-level processor technology. Unless you are going to buy the new AMD Phenom processor, buy Intel. Especially that E4X or above, even E8X still make Phenom scared.

It is worth it's money, and I am yet to see a single one person bring an Intel CPU back saying it wasnt sufficient.

Eledore Massis [R33]
Grand Admiral
Templar Knights

Posted: 2008-02-08 16:10   
Quote:
On 2008-02-08 13:34, NAKLIER POM wrote:
It is worth it's money, and I am yet to see a single one person bring an Intel CPU back saying it wasnt sufficient.

Clearly you have never met me. (old story)

But i agree on this one. Of those two CPU's you let us choose from the Intel would be the most recent. so i would recommend you fo for that option.
On the other hand, to bad you chose dell, the have a bad assortment of ADM CPU's.

Fatal Rocko Willis
Fleet Admiral
Fatal Squadron

Posted: 2008-02-08 21:22   
Well I am getting a large tax return BUT I am limited to $800US. Wal-Mart has bot the 530 (Intel) and 531 (AMD) series Dell systems on sale for about 150-200 dollers LESS than the exact same system (right down to the exact same spec sheet) than Dell itself online. So since I am a little weak on what cpu is what I am gonna go with the 530..

This is the spec sheet...

Key Features & Benefits:

22" widescreen LCD monitor

Presents 1680 x 1050 resolution, 800:1 contrast and 5-ms. typical response rate.

2.2 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo Processor E4500
2 GB of DDR2 system memory, 667 MHz (Expandable to 4GB)
Cache Memory, L2 2MB
500 GB hard drive, 7200 rpm (Serial ATA-300)
16x DVD+/-RW drive
19-in-1 digital media card reader
10/100 Base-T network interface and 56K modem
Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium Edition (OMG I am gonna HATE this)
Graphics Controller, Intel GMA X3100 (This will be replaced asap)
USB: 10 ports (4 Front, 4 back) + 2 internal
Audio: Six back-panel connectors for line-in, line-out, microphone, rear surround, side surround, two front-panel connectors for headphones/microphone, integrated 7.1-channel sound
PCI: 2 slots
PCIe x1: 1 slot
PCIe x16 (Graphics): 1 slot

I know I could probably do better for the $800 this system costs but it will be a sight better than the 1.4 Celeron HP with 512MB PC100 POS comp I currently have so just waiting on the cash now....

Rocko

Email Fatal Rocko Willis
Leviatan
Cadet

Posted: 2008-02-09 04:07   
Quote:

On 2008-02-08 21:22, Rocko Willis wrote:
Well I am getting a large tax return BUT I am limited to $800US. Wal-Mart has bot the 530 (Intel) and 531 (AMD) series Dell systems on sale for about 150-200 dollers LESS than the exact same system (right down to the exact same spec sheet) than Dell itself online. So since I am a little weak on what cpu is what I am gonna go with the 530..

This is the spec sheet...

Key Features & Benefits:

22" widescreen LCD monitor

Presents 1680 x 1050 resolution, 800:1 contrast and 5-ms. typical response rate.

2.2 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo Processor E4500
2 GB of DDR2 system memory, 667 MHz (Expandable to 4GB)
Cache Memory, L2 2MB
500 GB hard drive, 7200 rpm (Serial ATA-300)
16x DVD+/-RW drive
19-in-1 digital media card reader
10/100 Base-T network interface and 56K modem
Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium Edition (OMG I am gonna HATE this)
Graphics Controller, Intel GMA X3100 (This will be replaced asap)
USB: 10 ports (4 Front, 4 back) + 2 internal
Audio: Six back-panel connectors for line-in, line-out, microphone, rear surround, side surround, two front-panel connectors for headphones/microphone, integrated 7.1-channel sound
PCI: 2 slots
PCIe x1: 1 slot
PCIe x16 (Graphics): 1 slot

I know I could probably do better for the $800 this system costs but it will be a sight better than the 1.4 Celeron HP with 512MB PC100 POS comp I currently have so just waiting on the cash now....

Rocko

Looks decent. You really should replace the GMA X3100 right away, it will just crash and burn trying to run anything heavy.

I think you can pretty much everywhere buy a Radeon HD 2600 XT for something in the region of 120-150 USD, but be aware that some people have reported major issues with the HD 2600, so I have started just buying HD 2400's and overclocking them, just make sure it's the GDDR3 one, because the DDR2 one is *worthless*.

Alternatively you could get a GeForce 8600GT, but those are not anything unbelieveable in terms of processing power as it is the workstation card, while the 8800 is the gaming card.

If you can afford it, a Radeon HD 3870 is probably the best in terms of money-performance ratio.

Be aware though, that if you have a very small PSU and buy a card that has an external power connector, it probably means you should go 50-100W upwards with the PSU size before installing it.

Home Premium runs fine, if you prefer the old windows style without Aero cluttering it up, simply go to the theme options and switch to windows traditional, and there you are, W2k GUI turned on.

Hopefully Windows Seven will be released within the next two years, as it has been somewhat confirmed to be based on the old Blackcomb project that was meant to be originally released instead of Vista.

jedi42
Grand Admiral
Evil Empires Inc.

Posted: 2008-02-09 07:09   
Build your own computer. If you're in the US, try newegg.com. If you aren't sure about a particular configuration, look into the website http://www.techreport.com. There are building guides there that can easily meet your $800 budget. At *THIS* precise point in time, Intel has bang for buck, but you're leaving out so many vectors for proper performance, you aren't doing yourself any favors.

[ This Message was edited by: dj42 {C?} on 2008-02-09 07:10 ]
jedi42, darkjedi42, [drunk], hoid o' toitles, evil, rum, cl2k drainer, gdi, {C?}, hive teets, fusion mating, perfect cloud formation, death star, point jump, tractor scout, torp det, def cluster, cloaked elf

Fatal Rocko Willis
Fleet Admiral
Fatal Squadron

Posted: 2008-02-09 16:34   
i am not sure on the exact PSU output wattage but yeah thats the first thing I am gonna look into... I am not currently doing any heavy grphics gamming atm since the current comp is not capable of handling it.

so yeah... get the psu, the vid card then bump the mem up to 4 gig...

Email Fatal Rocko Willis
Page created in 0.025338 seconds.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024 Palestar Inc. All rights reserved worldwide.
Terms of use - DarkSpace is a Registered Trademark of PALESTAR