No kills today... yet.

Upcoming Events

- Weekly DarkSpace
05/04/24 +1.4 Days

Search

Anniversaries

No anniversaries today.

Social Media

Why not join us on Discord for a chat, or follow us on Twitter or Facebook for more information and fan updates?

Network

DarkSpace
DarkSpace - Beta
Palestar

[FAQ
Forum Index » » Soap Box » » New Harddrive
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
 Author New Harddrive
Kanman
Grand Admiral
Pitch Black

Posted: 2007-12-29 10:47   
So, You all remember my computer troubles from before. Well, since my computer is still acting whonky and school starts again in about 2 weeks, I just cant risk it dying while Im there. So, I am buying a new harddrive. This leaves me with questions.

1) I have an HP Pavilion with a single pentium 4 processor. Are there brands/types of harddrives that will not be compatible?

2) Before my current harddrive started dying, it had about 55 GB of data on it, with a total capacity of about 115 GB. Should I stick with the 115 GB capacity, or go smaller or bigger for best performance?

3) Are "external harddrives" better or worse than a normal one? Do I run any risks by getting an external one?

4) Anyone know of any specific ones they would like to recommend?

5) Are there any wires or connections that typically do not come with harddrives that I will discover I need when it arrives?

Thanks guys.

Drafell
Grand Admiral
Mythica

Posted: 2007-12-29 11:11   
Things you need to know:

Does your existing hard drive use the SATA or IDE interface?
- To find out, open the case and see if there is a wide ribbon cable, or thin circular cable that plugs into the disk drive. The wide ribbon cable has a 40-pin connector and is an IDE cable. The thin round cable should have a 7-pin connector and is a SATA cable. See here for more information.

Once you know which type of drive you are looking for, the choice is relatively simple. Pretty much anything that is similar or larger capacity will be fine. Be warned that there is limited supply with the older IDE drives, so you may not have much choice of what to get.

I would go with a larger drive - as big as you can reasonably afford. Any manufacturer will do, there is not much difference. Personally, I would not buy Western Digital, although that is purely a protest vote over some recent news.

I hope this helps.

Goto the website of Drafell
Eledore Massis [R33]
Grand Admiral
Templar Knights

Posted: 2007-12-29 11:48   
for starters let me answer your questions
Quote:

On 2007-12-29 10:47, Kanman *FC* wrote:
1) I have an HP Pavilion with a single pentium 4 processor. Are there brands/types of harddrives that will not be compatible?
2) Before my current harddrive started dying, it had about 55 GB of data on it, with a total capacity of about 115 GB. Should I stick with the 115 GB capacity, or go smaller or bigger for best performance?
3) Are "external harddrives" better or worse than a normal one? Do I run any risks by getting an external one?
4) Anyone know of any specific ones they would like to recommend?
5) Are there any wires or connections that typically do not come with harddrives that I will discover I need when it arrives?

1) Of harddrives band or type don't matter. onlything is what drafell already said, S-ATA or P-ATA

2) All depends on what you are doing. if you don't think you will ever get over a certain range don't buy those ubber large disk. but keep in mind programs/games and other information keeps growing in size so i recomment having atleast the dubble of what you think you need. So for this i would recommend around 160 or 250Gb (just look at the price and see what is the best pick)

3) External Harddrives are niec if you want to move hardware from your computer to other locations BUT !! These can't hold a operating system.
if you only have that 115 gig hard drive in your computer and you think that one will fail soon replace it. no need getting a external since the won't solve that problem. In addition external harddrives usualy are connected by either USB or FIREWIRE these connections are fast but internal's will still have a advantage over them (excluding the upcomming E-SATA).

4) Specific one's i would recommend... ...
Anny drive will do actualy but i would recommend atleast a known brand;
»Hitachi » Maxtor » Samsung » Seagate » Western Digital

But if you want my personal preferences; i got myself 7 "Hitachi Deskstar T7K500 250Gb" running here for almost two years. But i heard the P7K500 is already avalable so i would recommend that one.

5) I beleave doran asked this question.
But usualy if you replace a drive just make sjure if its ATA or S-ATA and replace that one.
But if your adding a drive you need to look how mutch internal storage devices you currently have. Usualy a Motherboard will have two ATA connectors (IDE), and each IDE connection can have two devices attached so maximal 4. and this includes CD and DVD-Rom drives. just look if you have space avalable in the case and got room on the IDE connections.
For S-ATA its a bit more simpler.

But i would recommend reading about it in the link drafell made, and take a look inside the case and get back to us.

three solid euro cents.

[edit] it looked terrible so added some spacing and otherstuff.
I want a PREVIEW button!!!!

[ This Message was edited by: Eledore[NL] on 2007-12-29 11:51 ]

Supertrooper
Marshal
Pitch Black

Posted: 2007-12-29 12:19   
I have a 150gb External HD, and I love it.

Able to share things with friends without having to waste bandwith, and it rocks for LAN parties.

Email Supertrooper
GothThug {C?}
Fleet Admiral

Posted: 2007-12-29 15:10   
the only 2 harddrives i know about are Western Digital and Maxtor lol

Email GothThug {C?}
Shigernafy
Admiral

Posted: 2007-12-29 18:58   
Good to know.

Email Shigernafy
Kanman
Grand Admiral
Pitch Black

Posted: 2007-12-29 19:14   
Thanks everyone. Lots of useful information there. Everything you described made sense (I knew what these things looked like, but not their names, so you didnt lose me there). I think I got enough help from you all to proceed. Only one more question: Any chance I can buy an harddrive online that ALREADY has Windows XP on it? I didnt exactly get a boot disc with my old computer, but rather a partitian I could reset my drive to if viruses ravaged it. I am hoping to avoid having to buy Windows. I havent looked it up yet, but I am sure it will likely cost more than the drive. Just hoping though, It wont break my bank if I have to.

Thanks again all. You really helped.

Doran
Chief Marshal
Galactic Navy

Posted: 2007-12-29 20:19   
Quote:

On 2007-12-29 10:47, Kanman *FC* wrote:
I just cant risk it dying while Im there.

since i dont see it having been said yet, get 2 drives if you can afford it, and use the second one for backing up data, or otherwise as a backup if the other drive fails.

an external drive might be good for that purpose (perhaps a regular internal drive and an enclosure to make it an external drive, which may be cheaper than a retail external drive, something to look into)

on the otherhand, if you're going to be at school, an external drive probably isnt your best option, they're a bit more *ahem* portable if theft is a concern

[ This Message was edited by: Doran on 2007-12-29 20:21 ]

jedi42
Grand Admiral
Evil Empires Inc.

Posted: 2007-12-30 07:15   
You cannot buy a hard drive with Windows XP on it.

I recommend checking out my preferred online hardware store:

http://www.newegg.com

Brand, size, # of platters, RPM, cache, etc, all have an impact on performance. Seagate is my preferred brand that I've been using since the 90s.

External drives are slower (sometimes considerably) depending on the interface. They are the same drives, but the external interface slows them (although I haven't tested external eSata much).

I'm assuming you have an IDE drive:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822148141

That is an excellent 250GB Seagate 7200RPM drive w/ 8MB cache. $65. (ATA/IDE)

On the other hand, for twice as much you can get one of Seagate's newer drives with larger capacity (you would need a SATA controller though):

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822148288

500GB 7200RPM, w/ 32MB cache. $120 (SATA)

Raptors are made somewhat superfluous by modern large capacity 7200RPM drives which have comparable performance, but you could also look at 10,000RPM WD Raptor:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136012

150GB, 10,000RPM, w/ 16MB cache. $170. (SATA)

My advice would be, however, to purchase a SATA controller (they are cheap, like $20-$30, and pickup a newer SATA hard drive.

There are cheaper, smaller SATA drives, but the bare minimum you can spend to get at least 100GB is probably going to be $40.

[ This Message was edited by: dj42 {C?} on 2007-12-30 07:17 ]
jedi42, darkjedi42, [drunk], hoid o' toitles, evil, rum, cl2k drainer, gdi, {C?}, hive teets, fusion mating, perfect cloud formation, death star, point jump, tractor scout, torp det, def cluster, cloaked elf

Kanman
Grand Admiral
Pitch Black

Posted: 2007-12-30 12:30   
THanks for thel inks. That first harddrive you recommended looks good to me. Ill be taking that one.

One question though. After adding it to my cart it suggested a list of operating systems (which is nice of them). I see 2 windows Vista options. One is 32 bit, the other 64 bit. The price difference is only like 2 bucks. What is the difference and which should I get?

jedi42
Grand Admiral
Evil Empires Inc.

Posted: 2007-12-30 13:48   
You should get Windows Vista 32-bit.

64-bit requires a 64-bit capable processor and 64-bit drivers for your devices.

Seagate drives come with a 5-year warranty (fyi).

Here's some info on 32-bit vs 64-bit:

http://www.winsupersite.com/showcase/winvista_ff_x64.asp

[ This Message was edited by: dj42 {C?} on 2007-12-30 13:51 ]
jedi42, darkjedi42, [drunk], hoid o' toitles, evil, rum, cl2k drainer, gdi, {C?}, hive teets, fusion mating, perfect cloud formation, death star, point jump, tractor scout, torp det, def cluster, cloaked elf

Fattierob
Vice Admiral

Posted: 2007-12-30 14:03   
64 bit is completely useless as you have to "emulate" 32 bit programs which is what almost everything is ran under these days.

in my own biased opinion, I see no reason of using 64 bit programs.

Kanman
Grand Admiral
Pitch Black

Posted: 2007-12-30 15:32   
Geez. This is a lot like when your car breaks down. You learn more about how a car works when it stops working, and I am learning a lot about how my computer works since it went and died.

Thanks Guys. I ordered everything (I think) I need and my computer should be working again in a few days. I went with Windows XP Home Edition, since it is what I am used to. That may bite me in the rear in a few years, but I will worry about that some other time.

Eledore Massis [R33]
Grand Admiral
Templar Knights

Posted: 2007-12-30 16:06   
Quote:

On 2007-12-29 19:14, Kanman *FC* wrote:
Only one more question: Any chance I can buy an harddrive online that ALREADY has Windows XP on it? I didnt exactly get a boot disc with my old computer, but rather a partitian I could reset my drive to if viruses ravaged it. I am hoping to avoid having to buy Windows. I havent looked it up yet, but I am sure it will likely cost more than the drive.

Yes buying windows costs more than the drive thats for sjure.
But first, the already told you this above, Harddrives won't come with windows installed. There are reasons for that the most simple would be you can't take a windows installed HDD from a Pentium 3 and stick it in a Pentium 4 computer, the kernel package will not be compatable. there are other reasons but those take up a couple of A4 pages.

However since you have a windows installation you might want to take a look at your computer case. since most likely your origional vendor might have used a OEM installation. This usualy means the case will have a Licence lable (COA). If not, your vendor might have framed you and microsoft by not including/buying a origional windows licence.
[sample]

(Click picture to get more information)

If this is the case take a look again what you bought at the time, check if windows was included, if this is the case and you still have the ticket from that time go back and demand a windows licence. If the don't comply than your in for a ride.
You have two options buy a new windows licence (at other store i would sugest) the other is calling microsoft tell your story, and ask about there reduced prices a new licence for people in those situations. the usualy are 5% higher than a OEM price. better than buying it at retail price.(p.s. Don't forget to call the name of the location and the name of the company you bought it from, the are most likely to investigate later.)

However if you do have a COA lable than you own a official windows version. But since you said you don't have anny installation or recovery cd's if will be almost impossable to install windows whitout them. However the OEM distrubitur is liable to provide support for the installation. You can ask them for a installation CD. (p.s. some vendors ask for a administration and postal fee. e.g. toshiba askes for a 18€ postal fee for there recovery cd's).

Hope this information helps.

Kanman
Grand Admiral
Pitch Black

Posted: 2007-12-30 16:56   
you know, I was looking at the list of products when I looked up Windows XP, and the first was XP Home Edition (for about, I forget, like 200 bucks or something), and the second was Windows XP OEM, which was like 1300 bucks! I am unsure what OEM is but I really hope I dont need that, since a completely new computer with WIndows already on it could be bought for cheaper than that.

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
Page created in 0.025543 seconds.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024 Palestar Inc. All rights reserved worldwide.
Terms of use - DarkSpace is a Registered Trademark of PALESTAR