No kills today... yet.

Upcoming Events

- Weekly DarkSpace
05/04/24 +1.1 Days

Search

Anniversaries

No anniversaries today.

Social Media

Why not join us on Discord for a chat, or follow us on Twitter or Facebook for more information and fan updates?

Network

DarkSpace
DarkSpace - Beta
Palestar

[FAQ
Forum Index » » English (General) » » An Impossible Request
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 )
 Author An Impossible Request
Shigernafy
Admiral

Posted: 2007-12-14 04:39   
We actually changed backend systems and data formatting after 1480.. so while yes, CVS does save old versions, in this case there is no old version. We can only roll back to .. uh, I'm not sure. Maybe 1482 or something. Not far enough to satisfy all the requests in this thread, I think.

I don't know about db rollback, Coeus, but it may be true. That's outside of my expertise.

Email Shigernafy
jedi42
Grand Admiral
Evil Empires Inc.

Posted: 2007-12-14 06:32   
To be brutally honest (as someone that has paid well over $900US to Darkspace), 480 was the pinnacle of the game.

The game was like chess. FA and the MV were balanced, paced, and tactical.

Darkspace is still Darkspace, and there never has and never will be a game like it. For that, Richard deserves all the credit.

But no matter what the fan support, no matter what we do as a community, the game will never be the same as it was in 480. Even if it was restored, the players are not the same... it will never feel the same, and as much nostalgia as most of us vets feel, it simply would not be the same game I (we) remember.

In my own opinion, sort of like chess, checkers, tic-tac-to, etc, I never felt Darkspace (once it was out of beta) needed many changes. A graphical face lift and improved net code, perhaps, but that was as a player.

If Faustus still has a vision, I'm comfortable in assuming that with time, money, and help, he could achive it. However, I do think that 480--perhaps--stumbled across a balance of developer vision and player-desire, which cannot ever be replicated (given the time the game came out and the players that were on it).

In a sense, Darkspace 480 was a limited engagement. Those of us that participated got to experience, if just for a moment, a community of advanced internet users (for the time) who had the capacity to understand a sophisticated MMORPG, which challenged your ability to adapt and learn a system of rules and guidelines far more advanced than most games can hope to be. And in the end, those tactics were satisfyingly complex to enage people, which caused months and years long rivalries and battles.

Darkspace, in the 480 days, contained some of the most advanced, evil, and resilient players I have ever faced on the Internet.

I personally believe there is a way to bring back 480, no matter what the current mantra is.

I just wish I could fund Faustus $10M for DS development.

/To me Darkspace 480 is like The Matrix or Star Wars.
//who do you think coined the term "death star"? jedi42, darkjedi42, or dj42? :)

[ This Message was edited by: dj42 {C?} on 2007-12-14 07:25 ]
jedi42, darkjedi42, [drunk], hoid o' toitles, evil, rum, cl2k drainer, gdi, {C?}, hive teets, fusion mating, perfect cloud formation, death star, point jump, tractor scout, torp det, def cluster, cloaked elf

kenetiks
Admiral
Galactic Navy

Posted: 2007-12-14 07:51   
Quote:

On 2007-12-14 06:32, dj42 {C?} wrote:

//who do you think coined the term "death star"? jedi42, darkjedi42, or dj42?

RedX? No wait, Scotty? Nimby? I've got it! Goth Thug!

Email kenetiks   Goto the website of kenetiks
Drafell
Grand Admiral
Mythica

Posted: 2007-12-14 10:05   
I believe we started switching over to using SVN during 1.482, but this change over wasn't fully completed until after 1.483 was released. As Shigernafy has already stated, changes to how the database and profile systems are managed mean that going back to an older code base is not going to happen as reverse engineering the current database to be compatible is more trouble than it is worth.

Goto the website of Drafell
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 )
Page created in 0.008895 seconds.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024 Palestar Inc. All rights reserved worldwide.
Terms of use - DarkSpace is a Registered Trademark of PALESTAR