- Weekly DarkSpace
04/20/24 +1.4 Days

Search

Anniversaries

20th - Bizaro
15th - *Flash*
9th - Uziel Lt. Seraph

Social Media

Why not join us on Discord for a chat, or follow us on Twitter or Facebook for more information and fan updates?

Network

DarkSpace
DarkSpace - Beta
Palestar

[FAQ
Forum Index » » General Support » » Darkspace on Linux + Wine
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
 Author Darkspace on Linux + Wine
T-1000
1st Lieutenant

Posted: 2007-10-14 18:56   
Hello,

After long time of hard work i got running Darkspace Chat Lobby running under wine(0.9.47 curently). As Doran suggested, i will try to put step by step instructions how to get it running soon as you get Internet Explorer 6 installed:

1) Go to http://www.winehq.org and obtain latest version of wine. There are packages for your Linux distribution probably as well. If not, follow wine doc how to compile it and how to install. (usually getting wine source, go to wine source directory where it got extracted then type:

./configure && make depend && make && sudo make install

Would do a trick.

2) Go to http://www.tatanka.com.br/ies4linux/page/Installation Follow instructions how to get IE6 running with help of ies4linux script.

3) Now it is tricky part:

Go to ~/.ies4linux directory
You will see ie6 directory (or other if customised ie6 install).
This is wine base directory. Make copy of it to temporary directory.
Rename to .wine
Move .wine into your home directory.
You should end up with contents of ie6/ directory copied and renamed to ~/.wine

Now go to ~/.wine/drive_c/Program Files/Internet Explorer and verify if IE6 works with:
wine iexplore.exe

If you are not able to run, please check if your ies4linux is working. The simplest way is to check - type ~/bin/ie6

4) Download Darkspace Beta (or original) setup.

Install it. If installation fails, probably there are windows installer things messed up because of DllOverrides. That can be easily fixed:

Run winecfg . Go to Applications tab. Add your darskpace setup exe to list. Change version to Windows XP. Close winecfg. run regedit. Navigate to HKEY_CURRENT_USER/Software/Wine/AppDefaults/GameCQ.exe (or other name which you have)
Create key DllOverrides
Change to that key then create new string with name * and value builtin,native
This will make wine to load wine's default dlls instead for Darkspace setup. Should do a trick while installing.

5) Launch Game Lobby

It now should run very nice

6) Will be later on. Still testing if i can run game itself.

Please post here your expierence after those steps. I would love to hear how it goes!

Cheers,
T-1000

[ This Message was edited by: T-1000 on 2007-10-14 19:50 ]

Smartin
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2007-10-14 19:03   
I love you, will try this soon. Thanks for taking the time to type this up, and for your work on figuring it out. I'm impressed.

-Smartin-

DarkSpace Community Website

Email Smartin
Drafell
Grand Admiral
Mythica

Posted: 2007-10-15 12:45   
Nice work... time to try booting into Ubuntu again and seeing if i can get my net working..

Goto the website of Drafell
LobbyZombie
2nd Rear Admiral
Sanity Assassins

Posted: 2007-10-15 13:13   
OoOOoo thanks! I tried to get my darkspace running under cedega .. diden't work :/ But thanks anyways!

Cheers
LobbyZombie - Owner of a ubuntu copy

Old am i not but what are you?

Email LobbyZombie
Drafell
Grand Admiral
Mythica

Posted: 2007-10-15 13:28   
Managed to get my Internet working in Linux. Now maybe I can have a go at getting things working as well, although the connection speed is diabolical.

Goto the website of Drafell
LobbyZombie
2nd Rear Admiral
Sanity Assassins

Posted: 2007-10-15 13:49   
ya .. linux connection is pretty fast ..

Old am i not but what are you?

Email LobbyZombie
Eledore Massis [R33]
Grand Admiral
Templar Knights

Posted: 2007-10-15 16:09   
Tanks for the info.
Been trying in the past to get gcql running on linux but had no luck.

Might try next it week when we have a school holiday over here.

kenetiks
Admiral
Galactic Navy

Posted: 2007-10-15 22:00   
sweet, I tried running gcql under wine a year or so ago and never got it working. I spent hours setting everything up under a previous linux version.

I'm sad to say work got in the way of ever getting it working(gotta eat ya' know?).

kudos to the uber-1337.

-kenetiks

Email kenetiks   Goto the website of kenetiks
T-1000
1st Lieutenant

Posted: 2007-10-28 10:01   
Hi,

Anybody got running Darkspace in linux when following my guide?

Problems? Report here please

Doran
Chief Marshal
Galactic Navy

Posted: 2007-11-02 12:34   
installed ie4linux, copied /ie6 to ~/.wine (had to overwrite the existing .wine folder)
ie6 runs from ~/.wine/drive_c/program files/internet exporer/iexplore.exe in wine
installed gcql2 (darkspace beta) to ~/.wine/drive_c/program files/palestar/gamecq
added gamecq.exe to applications tag in winecfg, added dlloverride registry key, uninstalled and reinstall gamecq
launched gamecq
gamecq hangs on connecting/client update and requires a force quit.

[edit]
takes a while but it did pop up with a 'cannot connect to gamecq server', but only if i set doUpdate=0 first, otherwise it just hangs

[ This Message was edited by: Doran on 2007-11-02 13:13 ]

kenetiks
Admiral
Galactic Navy

Posted: 2007-11-03 11:04   
Same problem here.

IEs work fine, can go online with them, but gamecq won't connect for some reason that I have failed to find...

Email kenetiks   Goto the website of kenetiks
codemonkey
Admiral
Sanity Assassins

Posted: 2008-02-27 04:13   
Good to see some support for this. I'm currently using Ubuntu 7,10 as a new user to linux, I've tried in the past and failed miserably but this OS works like a dream... Being a total linux noob I got CSS working with WINE in about 10 minutes. Anyway, it's kinda sad to see that you have to faf around with IE6 because of the GCQL and it would be nice to see some binaries for linux users to complie or just more support for the OS in general. I think if you could get it working, you would tap into a huge player base! Just my 2Cs tho...

Email codemonkey   Goto the website of codemonkey
chiefwhosm
Cadet

Posted: 2008-03-09 06:51   
Hi,
So I came at this from a different angle. I've been trying to get the BBGC (Bluebyte Gaming Channel) working under linux. For those who don't know the BBGC is a really,really,really old version of the GCQL, dating so far back that it was when Darkspace was actually, Battleisle: Darkspace.
Your GCQL has had many more updates and refinements over the years than the BBGC, but having investigated both on linux I reckon they're both getting the same problem.
First off let me say that I've tried both BBGC and GCQL. I have even tried getting the version of wine the original poster used AND the IEs4Linux from the time of his post. One thing that I did find is the latest wine version has broken (for a few people at least) IEs4Linux from downloading the MFC42.cab file, and thus fails to install IE correctly. Anyway, after all too many hours of testing I think that they both have the same problem.
The problem seems (as far as I can gather) to be both lobbys dependence on the MFC42.DLL file. If you run BBGC, the lobby is able to connect to the servers and download the latest updates. However just at the point of the showing the login window. It promptly crashes with an mfc42.dll error (if you go on wines appdb, and look up Settlers IV you'll see the error in full).

The GCQL error is different:

err:ntdll:RtlpWaitForCriticalSection section 0x8d83b0 "?" wait times out in thread , blocked by , retrying (60 sec)

Even though it mentions ntdll, it happens as a win98 etc wine cfg.
Now this is a guess, but I am wondering if BBGC at this point attempts to set up some form of secure connection, or prepares itself for encrypting the password for sending over the internet, and wine can't handle this.
Now this makes me wonder whether the GCQL sets up the secure link before updating, which is why you have the problems of it just locking up in its update progress (for me when I was trying the lite version, the window was just a frame with my desktop showing where it should have shown a progress bar).
If it really is an MFC42.dll problem, then that causes everyone further problems, because the wine developers state clearly on their website that they will never make a wine version of MFC42.dll, and suggest a good coder with alot of time on their hands makes a wine MFC42.dll.so from the free MFC source code.
This would (judging by their wording) be a monstrous task, and it would probably be easier for a coder to just use the GCQL source code and rewrite it to work under wine (and maybe BBGC? ).
Of course, any more suggestions from people who have got/tried to get things working would be good.

Chief.

[ This Message was edited by: chiefwhosm on 2008-03-09 07:16 ]

rooly
1st Rear Admiral

Posted: 2008-11-05 09:33   
i've decided to do my own linux+wine testing for darkspace. GCQL works almost perfectly under the current released version of wine (1.1.7). The client program itself is also on the verge of working. I decided to create a typescript of the run on 32-bit ubuntu 8.04, kernel v2.6.24-21, with a Celeron 1.86GHz, and 1 gig ram and an Intel 945G integrated graphics chipset. I'll put a hyperlink to the typescript itself since it's roughtly 25000 lines long.

http://irrlichtirc.g0dsoft.com/rooly/typescript.txt

the interesting line is where the client application crashes:
C:Program FilesPaleStaarDarkSpace.CacheDarkSpaceClient.exe: mpegsplit.c:178: FillBuffer: Assertion `parse_header(fbuf, &length, &This->position) == ((HRESULT)0L)' failed."

I also installed the KLite codec pack to attempt to satisfy what seems to be a media or codec error. This didn't help. It may also be a requirement for a properly implemented WMP but i'm not sure. Any insight on this matter would be wonderful.

I know you guys don't use linux in developement, or support it in any way. It would just be nice if this game worked in wine also.

Email rooly
Mersenne Twister
Fleet Admiral

Posted: 2008-11-05 09:52   
wine 1.0.1, ubuntu 8.10, ds 1.5 works, lobby's useable, but not flawlessly
can get iin-game, but no farther than the ship selection screen so far

I wouldn't screw with it if I were you. The doctor already holds you in poor favor. Messing with this might really fry his shorts.

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
Page created in 0.020829 seconds.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024 Palestar Inc. All rights reserved worldwide.
Terms of use - DarkSpace is a Registered Trademark of PALESTAR