No kills today... yet.

Upcoming Events

- Weekly DarkSpace
04/27/24 Now

Search

Anniversaries

No anniversaries today.

Social Media

Why not join us on Discord for a chat, or follow us on Twitter or Facebook for more information and fan updates?

Network

DarkSpace
DarkSpace - Beta
Palestar

[FAQ
Forum Index » » Beta Testing Discussion » » A few tweaks that would go a long way
 Author A few tweaks that would go a long way
Diabo|ik
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2007-09-20 08:42   
Had these ideas waking up in the bed today, thought I'd share them.

About...

*Remote detonation and PD activation*

Remapping PD activation to something else than "shift-spacebar" so that when remote detonating torpedoes you don't completely mess up your PD setup.

*Beacons and you*

We all know they've been abused in this build and now we know how usefull, but overpowered they can be. And we thought they we're useless...

Limit to 1 per ship, to it's own slot, forward/right/left facing arcs would put them back into balance.

*Beacons and the Kluth*

After all these fights, you would've thought that the Kluth had learned and devised a module capable of twarthing at least one ship, but not a whole fleet, trying to beacon it. With all the knowledge they have with beam weapons, they could've come up with a fast firing ( enough to protect from one beacon launcher, maybe 2 if you're going at high speed and they're behind you ), close range disruptor with minimal power usage. Max of 1 per ship and like the beacon, can't be triggered by the spacebar, default on PD mode, forward/right/left facing arcs.

*Psi cannons underused, we can fix that*

I remember Faustus saying that cannons should be "the bread and butter" of DS ships. Let's give them a little something special that fits the name "psi" so they get more mainstream usage and be a decent mod to the standard disruptor beam.

Without fiddling with the damage, we could give them some special abilities that would fit with the story and the "psi" name. To that end, I propose a few tweaks, not all should be used at once, unless it is deemed "balanced":

- Since it's the crew's psi energy, it should barely use any energy, if none at all.

- Reduce the range to 600GU ( torp range ) max for a lvl10 psi cannon as to avoid exploits.

- Since it's psi energy, and we know how it's pretty hard to do any damage on the first strike with a Kluth ship VS an ICC ship, pretty much negating their hit&run advantage to be able to do damage over time by hitting, cloaking, then hitting again since shields repair too fast. I propose that psi cannons and only psi cannons would bypass shields and hit directly on the armor.

This needs to be tweaked and playtested to insure balance. A way to balance it would also be to have the shields take a certain percentage of the damage, without being able to completely absorb the blast, the underlying armor would take the rest of the damage. The percentage that is absorbed by the shield could be tweaked.

- Since it's psi energy and isn't a beam or matter/standard energy blast. Have the psi cannons do exactly the same damage to any armor type. IOW, even if you have ablative or deflective armor, a psi cannon blast would do the same damage in HPs as if it had hit a standard armor.

*Smart torpedoes*

I think that would actually detriment gameplay but if the "remote detonation / PD" issue can't be resolved with a remapping. This could fix things, albeit it would probably also increase the stress on the server and may cause more lag :S.

Have the torpedoes know when they get nearer to their target and as soon as the distance begins to increase from it's intended target, have them detonate ( much like flak ).

I know some of these ideas would be pretty hard to implement, while other's would be pretty easy. But as you read them, you may have been surprised that some did sound like they would benifit the gameplay and are in line with the developer's vision so that you will think them throught.

I'd be happy to hear any comments about them.

Smartin
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2007-09-20 08:57   
Quote:

On 2007-09-20 08:42, Diabo|ik wrote:
Had these ideas waking up in the bed today, thought I'd share them.

About...

*Remote detonation and PD activation*

Remapping PD activation to something else than "shift-spacebar" so that when remote detonating torpedoes you don't completely mess up your PD setup.

Simple fix. Stop using the spacebar. I can't remember the last time I smashed my space bar. Simply number your weapons, then when you notice you need to detonate some torps shift+[number/s used torps]

Quote:

*Beacons and you*

We all know they've been abused in this build and now we know how usefull, but overpowered they can be. And we thought they we're useless...

Limit to 1 per ship, to it's own slot, forward/right/left facing arcs would put them back into balance.

I beleive the thought was only letting scouts, frigates, and maybe 1 dessie carry beacons in .484

Quote:

*Beacons and the Kluth*

After all these fights, you would've thought that the Kluth had learned and devised a module capable of twarthing at least one ship, but not a whole fleet, trying to beacon it. With all the knowledge they have with beam weapons, they could've come up with a fast firing ( enough to protect from one beacon launcher, maybe 2 if you're going at high speed and they're behind you ), close range disruptor with minimal power usage. Max of 1 per ship and like the beacon, can't be triggered by the spacebar, default on PD mode, forward/right/left facing arcs.

Here I beleive the idea was to have beacons effect the time it takes you to re-cloak instead of leaving you cloaked until they wear off. Meaning the more beacons you have the longer its going to take to re-cloak.

Quote:

*Psi cannons underused, we can fix that*

I remember Faustus saying that cannons should be "the bread and butter" of DS ships. Let's give them a little something special that fits the name "psi" so they get more mainstream usage and be a decent mod to the standard disruptor beam.

Without fiddling with the damage, we could give them some special abilities that would fit with the story and the "psi" name. To that end, I propose a few tweaks, not all should be used at once, unless it is deemed "balanced":

- Since it's the crew's psi energy, it should barely use any energy, if none at all.

- Reduce the range to 600GU ( torp range ) max for a lvl10 psi cannon as to avoid exploits.

- Since it's psi energy, and we know how it's pretty hard to do any damage on the first strike with a Kluth ship VS an ICC ship, pretty much negating their hit&run advantage to be able to do damage over time by hitting, cloaking, then hitting again since shields repair too fast. I propose that psi cannons and only psi cannons would bypass shields and hit directly on the armor.

This needs to be tweaked and playtested to insure balance. A way to balance it would also be to have the shields take a certain percentage of the damage, without being able to completely absorb the blast, the underlying armor would take the rest of the damage. The percentage that is absorbed by the shield could be tweaked.

- Since it's psi energy and isn't a beam or matter/standard energy blast. Have the psi cannons do exactly the same damage to any armor type. IOW, even if you have ablative or deflective armor, a psi cannon blast would do the same damage in HPs as if it had hit a standard armor.

Not a terrible idea, but I think with the shields being balanced out you will notice it to be not quite so hard to break through the ICC shields. Also I think taking away ICC shields would be a lot like taking away K'luth cloak. It's kind of their thing, with out they are just weak UGTO.

Quote:

*Smart torpedoes*

I think that would actually detriment gameplay but if the "remote detonation / PD" issue can't be resolved with a remapping. This could fix things, albeit it would probably also increase the stress on the server and may cause more lag :S.

Have the torpedoes know when they get nearer to their target and as soon as the distance begins to increase from it's intended target, have them detonate ( much like flak ).

I know some of these ideas would be pretty hard to implement, while other's would be pretty easy. But as you read them, you may have been surprised that some did sound like they would benifit the gameplay and are in line with the developer's vision so that you will think them throught.

I'd be happy to hear any comments about them.

Well detonating torps is an art. I have gotten lots of kills I would of never got if I didn't detonate my torps at the right moment. I think making it auto-mated would ruin a part of the "skill" factor, but thats just in my opinion. Also could you imagine fighting anything faster then you? If you shot your torps and it then decided to turn away from you, you would have more torps blowing up in your face then anything. My scale does not approve this .

I have been wrong before so if I am on any of this planned .484 changes I am sure someone will kindly correct me.

-Smartin-

[ This Message was edited by: Peg Leg Smartin on 2007-09-20 09:02 ]

DarkSpace Community Website

Email Smartin
Diabo|ik
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2007-09-20 13:22   
If your info is accurate, I think it's great news!

Still, that Psi cannon needs something so its actually used.

Maybe have them deal damage to the other ships infantry or make them have a "debilitating" - "Psi control" effect on said infantry, recruits being more affected than elites, still the chance of actually making a unit go crazy would be small and would need a LOT of psi cannon hits, chances would be higher when hitting hull than armor. The "crazy units" would go "rogue" and try to kill the other infantry on board, if there's no infantry left then they'd try to sabotage the ship randomly, but NOT capture it. The infantry would remain "mad" until the ship escaped or all Kluth vessels have left the area ( 1000 gu radius around the ship ), then the infantry would take 30 seconds to return to normal, or something like that.

Any other ideas?

[ This Message was edited by: Diabo|ik on 2007-09-20 13:36 ]

Smartin
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2007-09-20 16:50   
Forget to add this but wasn't trying to shoot you out of the air there. I think it's good people are trying to come up with new ideas for Darkspace.

DarkSpace Community Website

Email Smartin
Diabo|ik
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2007-09-21 11:10   
Quote:

On 2007-09-20 16:50, Smartin wrote:
Forget to add this but wasn't trying to shoot you out of the air there. I think it's good people are trying to come up with new ideas for Darkspace.

SH SH SH, don't worry Smartin, you didn't give me that impression at all .

BackSlash
Marshal
Galactic Navy

Posted: 2007-09-21 12:17   
We're locking out cross faction tech for the most part. So K'luth will be forced to use Psi.

Problem solved.

In other news : They work fine, and as intended.

Leonide
Grand Admiral
Templar Knights

Posted: 2007-09-24 00:19   
intended would be what? more damage at range than a P cannon and more recharge time?

captain of the ICC Assault Cruiser C.S.S. Sledgehammer

Email Leonide
Drafell
Grand Admiral
Mythica

Posted: 2007-09-24 01:40   
Intended:
PSI = faster projectiles, more damage per volley, slower recharge, lower range, high energy use, damage fall off.
P cannon = Medium projectile speed, medium damage per volley, med range, med recharge, med energy use, damage falloff.
Railgun = low projectile speed, low damage per volley, high range, low recharge, low energy use, no falloff.
Gauss = Very high projectile speed, high damage per volley, high range, low energy use, high recharge, only two projectiles per volley, less total dmg at high levels.

Goto the website of Drafell
Shath
Admiral
Pitch Black

Posted: 2007-10-01 01:05   
i think that they are all great ideas and they make alot of sense =3

Joe dirt
Fleet Admiral

Posted: 2007-10-05 22:43   
Quote:

On 2007-09-24 01:40, Drafell wrote:
Intended:
PSI = faster projectiles, more damage per volley, slower recharge, lower range, high energy use, damage fall off.
P cannon = Medium projectile speed, medium damage per volley, med range, med recharge, med energy use, damage falloff.
Railgun = low projectile speed, low damage per volley, high range, low recharge, low energy use, no falloff.
Gauss = Very high projectile speed, high damage per volley, high range, low energy use, high recharge, only two projectiles per volley, less total dmg at high levels.

so if icc are locked to rail guns and guass, we would be the weaker of the 3 factions, our icc shields gonna get a boost on our dreds and stations, since there a joke?

BackSlash
Marshal
Galactic Navy

Posted: 2007-10-06 02:36   
Your shields are actually slightly overpowered at the moment. You're designed to last long in a fight, and not do large amounts of damage when compared to the UGTO and K'luth. You're a defensive faction, hence you use the shields to maximise your time in battle, jump out, then jump back in when your shields have recharged.

ICC are not meant to be a heavy hitting race. If you're playing them for that reason, you're not in the right faction.

GothThug {C?}
Fleet Admiral

Posted: 2007-10-17 19:16   
and the winning faction is....UGTO! see...this is where i see a problem.....i foresee ICC being played less and less in 484...Kluth and UGTO will be at each others throats without ICC to butt in....hmm..anyone else get this feeling?

Email GothThug {C?}
Shigernafy
Admiral

Posted: 2007-10-18 09:47   
No, I haven't, yet. Since there's been no testing, and no data released, its impossible to tell how things will work out. Plus the detail given above is reasonably vague; it's hard to tell what medium, high, etc really mean in use.

Email Shigernafy
Page created in 0.026394 seconds.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024 Palestar Inc. All rights reserved worldwide.
Terms of use - DarkSpace is a Registered Trademark of PALESTAR