No kills today... yet.

Upcoming Events

- Weekly DarkSpace
05/11/24 +3.3 Days

Search

Anniversaries

19th - Server

Social Media

Why not join us on Discord for a chat, or follow us on Twitter or Facebook for more information and fan updates?

Network

DarkSpace
DarkSpace - Beta
Palestar

[FAQ
Forum Index » » English (General) » » 1.4xx Will Save Darkspace!!!
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )
 Author 1.4xx Will Save Darkspace!!!
Sanity Assassin (K'Luth propaganda)
Grand Admiral
Sanity Assassins

Posted: 2007-09-11 11:01   
Uhh, I disagree......with anything GothThug approves of. If your a lone player, play as K'Luth. Its great for solo fighting, you can pick your battles and cause terror within the MV

but thats just me.

[ This Message was edited by: SANITY ASSASSIN (FA) on 2007-09-11 11:02 ]

Email Sanity Assassin (K'Luth propaganda)   Goto the website of Sanity Assassin (K'Luth propaganda)
Drafell
Grand Admiral
Mythica

Posted: 2007-09-11 13:15   
Quote:
Intentions are irrelevant, everyone as good intentions if you look beyond the surface, we must look even deeper, down to motivations... And I seriously question the dev team's motivations right now. It can't be greed. I doubt it is the thirst for power. Could it be egoïsm or fear? What motivates the actions that lead to the problematic changes are the only possible source of trouble regarding new builds. Whatever these motivations may be. Motivations dictate the ultimate end results in everything we do, if you have bad results, bad underlying motivations are the most likely culprit.

There's also the possiblity that the corporate/personnal boundary of the dev team is weak, full of holes, or too thick.

We need to spot the problem and zero in on it. A good way to do that is to take a step back and look at the situation from an outsider's ( or outside observer's ) point of view, a person who can only have an objective outlook of the situation. Or if you are a bit versed in psychobabble, to use "Observing ego".

For me it is quite simple; DarkSpace is my hobby. I once used to play Magic: The Gathering but I got bored with it and then started getting into computing. I played various games for a few years, until I found DarkSpace, and became a part of a great community of people. I have never been a very social individual so have few friends in RL; pretty much everyone I know and talk to on a regular basis is online. During this time I started to get interested in game mechanics and design, and how or why various games succeed or fail, and what makes them unique. This was largely driven by my involvement in DarkSpace, a game that for some reason I do still enjoy playing, although not as much as I used to.

DarkSpace has NOT had a smooth development cycle, or real any continuity in it's development team. The current dev team are mostly amateurs and we don't try to hide that fact, and we have taken over a job where there is a considerable lack of real documentation or core design rules. Every element of the game has to be examined to see how it works, how it inter-relates with everything else, and what potential effect it will have on the rest of the game balance. Can anyone tell me exactly how increasing the damage output of a particle cannon will affect planet construction? You may not think there is a link, but there is, although I will be damned if I can actually explain it to you in words.

DarkSpace is one HUGE problem, and it's the kind of esoteric relations that my mind seems to love working with. I am not doing this for you. I am doing it for myself. It is a challenge, and I want to do the best damned job I can, because I KNOW inside that I am capable of it.

My design philosophy is quite simple. How easy is something to introduce? Can it be done by just changing a value, modifying an exist function or does it require completely rewriting chunks of code and modules for it to work? Naturally I am starting with the easy stuff, because I am still learning. I will discard suggestions people might make, no matter how good they sound, because it's simply not within my abilities. It may be a groundbreaking idea, and have the potential to to be a WoW killer, but thats no good to me if I cannot see a way to make it work given my current knowledge of the game code and how it works, or if it just doesn't fit into our particular vision. Don't expect us to be able to tell you why, because many times we can't. Let us say that there is a large degree of instinct involved in design work. you know at heart whether something will fit into what you are trying to achieve.

The current dev team is also facing the challenge or trying to merge several different design philosophies into one cohesive and coherent whole. Because of the previous lack of continuity, we all face a difficult challenge or trying to reconcile the different interpretations of where DarkSpace is or has been headed from tiny scraps of information which we have managed to dig up. thankfully we have managed to obtain some large resources from several previous members, but we are still missing a large portion of the material they were using and so we have to try and reconstruct this, and also try and fit it into OUR vision.

Just remember, our goals are not your goals. We all want to make an excellent game, but my particular vision, or Jacks particular dream of how things will turn out and work, do not,and probably will not match up to what everyone else wants. We don't always agree with each other and have had a few big fights over various things, but thats healthy. We do try to include the communities views where we can, and encourage people to let us know what they want. I will often be talking in the Lobby when I am working on stuff, looking for feedback on what I am doing, because there are parts of the game that I am not so familiar with.

Neither me nor Jack have anything to do with the 'corporate' side of DarkSpace. This is purely personal.

Will we make a difference? Only time will tell, but at least we can say we tried. If we gain nothing else, we get the experience from doing this, and IMO that is worth enough on it's own.

[ This Message was edited by: Drafell on 2007-09-11 13:20 ]

Goto the website of Drafell
AgentStarblazer
1st Rear Admiral
Agents

Posted: 2007-10-14 16:27   
also, memories.

/cries on the inside.

Goto the website of AgentStarblazer
Shath
Admiral
Pitch Black

Posted: 2007-10-14 18:51   
I agre and I wana help as much as I can (partly from the varios problems in my other games and pure sheer boredum)

WHAT'S MY FIRST TASK ADMIN PPL!!!!??!!!????!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!????????????????!!!!!!!!!!

GothThug {C?}
Fleet Admiral

Posted: 2007-10-15 01:00   
hey san...how bout leave me out of yer forum topics plx thanx

Email GothThug {C?}
Reeves-81
Grand Admiral
Pitch Black

Posted: 2007-10-15 02:16   
Well put, I was driven away by the bugs, "a person pays for something, they expect it to work" as well as the nonstop bs about 1.4. I belive that this game needs to be reworked from the ground up, theres too many fundamental issuses to patch correctly, and some updated graphics would be nice, lol.

\"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading.\"
--Thomas Jefferson

LobbyZombie
2nd Rear Admiral
Sanity Assassins

Posted: 2007-10-15 04:24   
The devs got lifes too you know (it scared me too :S)
You want darkspace to live? let atleast one or two devs tinkle with it nonstop.
Drafell and jack and the other devs got lifes and work etc etc
Maybe its just me but woulden't it be helpful if WE, the community actually helped the devs in coding and feedback?

Cheers
LobbyZombie - Your worst nightmare

P.s : i reside from grammarproblems! Dont you dare ..

[ This Message was edited by: LobbyZombie (ABM) on 2007-10-15 04:27 ]

Old am i not but what are you?

Email LobbyZombie
BackSlash
Marshal
Galactic Navy

Posted: 2007-10-15 09:33   
Got an email off to Faustus and he's going to take a look at what's causing the problem with us editing things in the resource. This should speed up things quite a bit if he can fix it.

GothThug {C?}
Fleet Admiral

Posted: 2007-10-15 09:52   
Yayz

Email GothThug {C?}
Banshee
Grand Admiral
Raven Warriors

Posted: 2007-10-15 23:22   
omg death to star!

and yes I realise most of the fleet is pro keylimepiesucktards.

*laughs menacingly* ebil sekrit plans coming to fruition mwahahahaha

Lacrosseian
Fleet Admiral
Raven Warriors

Posted: 2007-10-16 00:29   
Quote:

On 2007-10-15 23:22, Banshee wrote:
omg death to star!

and yes I realise most of the fleet is pro keylimepiesucktards.

*laughs menacingly* ebil sekrit plans coming to fruition mwahahahaha

It seems Banshee is going to stage a civil war against the key lime pie...

GothThug {C?}
Fleet Admiral

Posted: 2007-10-16 00:46   
if only it were possible...lulz XD

Email GothThug {C?}
Rhiawhyn Zerinth
Fleet Admiral
Templar Knights

Posted: 2007-10-16 09:46   
Quote:

On 2007-10-15 02:16, Reeves-81 wrote:
Well put, I was driven away by the bugs, "a person pays for something, they expect it to work" as well as the nonstop bs about 1.4. I belive that this game needs to be reworked from the ground up, theres too many fundamental issuses to patch correctly, and some updated graphics would be nice, lol.

they are reworking it from the ground up.

new netcode new everything, its going to be easy for them to edit it in the future due to said changes, however said changes are whats slowing the update down =

Eledore Massis [R33]
Grand Admiral
Templar Knights

Posted: 2007-10-16 12:55   
Quote:

On 2007-09-11 13:15, Drafell wrote:
For me it is quite simple; DarkSpace is my hobby. I once used to play Magic: The Gathering but .....

I find it funny drafell, that if you played Mtg that you do not yet compair the lobby as sutch i do on regilar basis.
O btw i played and stil play the game, but.
Think about it:
white = white (paladins, protectors of pure souls.)
green = green (forrest and mighty animals.)
yellow = red (goblins, warcamps and quick strikes.)
grey = black (death, evil and rotten)
(and upcomming we got;)
blue = blue (water, wind and magic.)

On Topic.
Why save darkspace? its unique as it is, and yes patches change the game and the community, but isn't that the same with life ?

We all choose our own poison.

DarkSpin
Captain
Sanity Assassins

Posted: 2007-10-16 23:09   
I will be here till the end... however soon that may or may not be... This is the only comunity I have ever been able to stick with and not just that im HOOKED... it drives me crazy to not be part of this community and I would not be who I am today withought it...

many years ago when I first joined staff had alot of time to telly to stop doin someting...

I once did a nono and still they gave me

350+ warnings before baning me for 5 min... no joke... but you get my point.. anyways

CHEERS TO DARKSPACE!!!

(' o ') - Website: DIAU.NET

Email DarkSpin   Goto the website of DarkSpin
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )
Page created in 0.029462 seconds.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024 Palestar Inc. All rights reserved worldwide.
Terms of use - DarkSpace is a Registered Trademark of PALESTAR