No kills today... yet.

Upcoming Events

- Weekly DarkSpace
05/04/24 +1.1 Days

Search

Anniversaries

No anniversaries today.

Social Media

Why not join us on Discord for a chat, or follow us on Twitter or Facebook for more information and fan updates?

Network

DarkSpace
DarkSpace - Beta
Palestar

[FAQ
Forum Index » » Developer Feedback » » Jumpgate Sight Range
 Author Jumpgate Sight Range
Kanman
Grand Admiral
Pitch Black

Posted: 2007-08-26 18:54   
This is a simple suggestion that could really help with defense. Consider making it so the faction that owns a system (the star appears green to them) has the same Line-of-sight feedback from the system's jumpgates as they get from their planets (i.e. warnings when enemies are detected, vessels made visible on nav screen, etc).

It would elliminate the need to guard jumpgates (which no player will tolerate doing for long). It is also logical (which I know you like to be in your game-design). What people would have control over giant Jumpgate transit devices to enemy territory and not have a sensors array mounted on it?

Just think it over. A humble suggestion that i dont care much either way about. Just a thought.

Sixkiller
Marshal
Courageous Elite Commandos

Posted: 2007-08-27 03:06   
I like the idea..

Enterprise
Chief Marshal

Posted: 2007-08-27 04:05   
Yes! What a brilliant idea! Lets completely destroy the element of suprise!

YE- ahno. No. NO.

You see with WH's getting completely nerfed to oblivion we're moving back to the old concept of blockading.

No, not that silly thing around planets that hardly does anything.

Essentially, there will be two ways of getting to a system.

The long way or the really long way.

That is, long jumping or going by gate.

This leaves a ton of exciting new possibilities, such as blockading gates so that anything attempting to get through dies. Of course, this only works if you know there are enemys coming and there are some on the other side of the.

See, theres that suprise element, going through by stealth. Perhaps you have an entire fleet bedecked with ECM and you simply sneak through, jump away, and hide. But.. if that Jumpgate had the same properties as a planet.. theres only one way to suprise.

The really really long way. Not fun. Do we really want to jump 1.5k million gu (for humans, thats a whopping ten minutes) every time we want to make a strategic suprise attack on an enemy fleet?

I'd rather guard the gate.

Now.. if there were platforms, thats a different story. It would be a strategic move to build a Sensor Platform around friendly gates wouldn't it? But those aren't in yet.

Essentially... (incase you haven't gotten the point) it ruins a great element in the game if we automatically knew whenever an enemy were to sneak through a gate. that belongs to your faction Since unforuntately, EW is very basic in DS unfortunately...

-Ent

Smartin
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2007-08-27 11:36   
Would have to agree with Ent. on this one. Element of surprise is still fun, and with things being balanced out this massive bombing spree shouldn't be around anymore.

DarkSpace Community Website

Email Smartin
Junky Da FunkyMonke
Admiral

From: The Hotel California, takes excursions to Deep Sexys Space every now and then
Posted: 2007-08-31 22:00   
Everything in this game is element of surprise.

IE Paul is being attacked.
Junky:?whos attacking?
*looks at paul to find out there is nothing left*

The facts of daily darkspace life 1 minute you are thriving the next you are dust in the wind.

Page created in 0.012614 seconds.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024 Palestar Inc. All rights reserved worldwide.
Terms of use - DarkSpace is a Registered Trademark of PALESTAR