Combat Kills

Combat kills in last 24 hours:
No kills today... yet.

Upcoming Events

Search

Anniversaries

21th - Sir Oblivion {C?}

Social Media

Why not join us on Discord for a chat, or follow us on Twitter or Facebook for more information and fan updates?

Network

DarkSpace
DarkSpace - Beta
Palestar

[FAQ
Forum Index » » English (General) » » Newbie Here...
 Author Newbie Here...
Kussoth
Cadet

Posted: 2007-08-18 22:48   
Hello,
I am a new guy, just got my subscription/dling. I am from Eve-Online, and am looking for a change of pace (Plus it really seems like the player base is becoming more and more hostile toward one another). Any who, what should I be expecting? I was a miner/producer with many skills toward that, but I would like to give combat a go this time around.

Basically, what are the major differences between Eve and DarkSpace.

Thank you in advance,

Kussoth

-Smokey-
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2007-08-18 22:50   
never played eve have full control over your shipe but from what i heard a main difference is you have full control over your shipe

Kussoth
Cadet

Posted: 2007-08-18 22:57   
Well, that sounds interesting... Better than click a button and try to keep transversal up with your guns

Are there player owned corps/systems... big ole alliances, and how do you learn skills?

Leonide
Grand Admiral
Templar Knights

Posted: 2007-08-18 23:16   
you don't learn skills in this game. this game is VERY different than EvE. first of all, this is a game where you have COMPLETE control over your ship, no point click...except for clicking on planet icons, and enemy ship icons. the game is fully 3D, played on a 2D plane. there are Fleets in this game (comparable to EvE's Corporations). there are only player-made alliances, no formal game-recognized alliances. and there are 3 factions, instead of like 4 or 5 that EvE had. the metaverse is a LOT smaller than EvE as well.

captain of the ICC Assault Cruiser C.S.S. Sledgehammer

Email Leonide
Supertrooper
Marshal
Pitch Black

Posted: 2007-08-18 23:19   
Quote:

On 2007-08-18 22:48, Kussoth wrote:
Hello,
I am a new guy, just got my subscription/dling. I am from Eve-Online, and am looking for a change of pace (Plus it really seems like the player base is becoming more and more hostile toward one another). Any who, what should I be expecting? I was a miner/producer with many skills toward that, but I would like to give combat a go this time around.

Basically, what are the major differences between Eve and DarkSpace.

Thank you in advance,

Kussoth

Well, your in luck for wanting abit of combat, because that's what Darkspace was designed for..

The major differences between EvE and Darkspace would likley be the game play.. EvE is on a full 3d Axis, while Darkspace is on a 2d Axis (Except for Weapons and Projectiles..). Darkspace also isnt a point and click game, so you use your keys (Arrows to turn, or WASD)..

We dont have the depth as EvE does, but it doesnt really matter because you'll end up wanting to fight more then you'll want to talk with politicians (Staff Members who have special alts that are Members of Each Faction's High Councils..)

Email Supertrooper
$yTHe {C?}
Grand Admiral
Sundered Weimeriners

Posted: 2007-08-18 23:23   
Y HALO THAR

Kussoth
Cadet

Posted: 2007-08-18 23:51   
15 Minutes before I can play

BackSlash
Marshal
Galactic Navy

Posted: 2007-08-19 03:25   
Major differences

Ship control - You have full control over your ship and it's weapons. You can self-detonate missiles and torpedoes and such. You also fly around on a 2D plane (everything is in 3D).

Three factions - You're allied with other factions in your faction (who can be in fleets (clans)). You fight with them against the other two factions.

No time based skills - You fight in real time, your experience points go up in real time (or prestige). Prestige is a total of your other stats, which have hidden modifiers. For instance, Ships Damaged x3 = Prestige.

There isn't really much to do for people such as you in DarkSpace (miners/industrials). But, the game is a lot more forgiving with deaths, and you won't lose months of work (unless you die over and over in dreadnoughts). So, you couldn't of picked a better combat space game to start in.

Welcome to DarkSpace, and enjoy your stay.

[ This Message was edited by: BackSlash *Jack* on 2007-08-19 03:26 ]

Enterprise
Chief Marshal

Posted: 2007-08-19 04:12   
Quote:

On 2007-08-19 03:25, BackSlash *Jack* wrote:
Major differences

Ship control - You have full control over your ship and it's weapons. You can self-detonate missiles and torpedoes and such. You also fly around on a 2D plane (everything is in 3D).

Three factions - You're allied with other factions in your faction (who can be in fleets (clans)). You fight with them against the other two factions.

No time based skills - You fight in real time, your experience points go up in real time (or prestige). Prestige is a total of your other stats, which have hidden modifiers. For instance, Ships Damaged x3 = Prestige.

There isn't really much to do for people such as you in DarkSpace (miners/industrials). But, the game is a lot more forgiving with deaths, and you won't lose months of work (unless you die over and over in dreadnoughts). So, you couldn't of picked a better combat space game to start in.

Welcome to DarkSpace, and enjoy your stay.

[ This Message was edited by: BackSlash *Jack* on 2007-08-19 03:26 ]

Couldn't have put it better than Jack did.

All in all Darkspace is a less how I should so, politically driven game than EvE is. The name of the game is to kill the other side with whatever means you can muster. Combat, a battle of those where its only your skill versus theirs.

Of course, this version is a little lacking in that, unfortunately.

In the end though, Jack said it perfectly. You have complete control over your ship, its turning and speed completely decided by the arrow keys or AWSD keys. Jumping is also differen't from EvE's warping, as you can manually set jump coordinates.

There are the different factions, instead of the FFA style going around EvE, which anyone can join at will (as long as you dont belong to a fleet).

As Jack said, there are no time based skills. Everything revolves around your ability to use your ship to the best of your (and its) ability.

And also, there isn't much in the way of Politics/Industrial here. As I said before, everything is pretty much combat driven, but there are different roles to fill, such as combat, support, bombing, engineering, etc. All are in need at any given time and its up to the individual player to decide what is best for the moment.

DS is a very, very team oriented game. Not working with your faction is a fast way to end up dead, or even worse, your faction ending up dead. While your alliance in EvE not working together means the deaths of your ships, your faction not working together is a good way to lose countless planets.

Of course, this version takes that aspect away somewhat, if you stick around a while you'll see.

In any case, hope you stay around.

-Ent

Page created in 0.014238 seconds.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024 Palestar Inc. All rights reserved worldwide.
Terms of use - DarkSpace is a Registered Trademark of PALESTAR