No kills today... yet.

Upcoming Events

- Weekly DarkSpace
05/04/24 +1.0 Days

Search

Anniversaries

No anniversaries today.

Social Media

Why not join us on Discord for a chat, or follow us on Twitter or Facebook for more information and fan updates?

Network

DarkSpace
DarkSpace - Beta
Palestar

[FAQ
Forum Index » » Developer Feedback » » Carrier suggestion for in future patches
 Author Carrier suggestion for in future patches
Axianda The Royal
Fleet Admiral
Terra Squadron

Posted: 2007-08-08 17:36   
*viva la copy paste from Word*

Carriers

Quote:

An aircraft carrier is a warship designed to deploy and in most cases recover aircraft, acting as a sea-going airbase. Aircraft carriers thus allow a naval force to project air power great distances without having to depend on local bases for staging aircraft operations.

As you can see the carrier is the nerve center of a fleet, its purpose to be a forward base of operations. Right now in Darkspace Carriers lack in a series of items. Often are they seen as lag spammers because they constantly need to spawn fighters *a lot* to be a serious threat. This points out 2 things. 1 they are inefficient ships creating a bunch of lag 2 hard to balance because of the “spam” capability, make fighters hard punchers and yes carriers are dangerous, but also way and way to powerfull
Also carrier fighters are atm like missiles, a bit intelligent but hell cloak or jump and your fighter pilot wipes some drool away and heads home.
Now I have been playing a certain game that made me think… especially when I played with the carriers.

Battle stations Midway
Centered around the events of Pacific WW2 it features the fleets of that time, PC boats destroyers cruisers battleships like the Yamato AND…. Carriers, now here is where I get a big grin on my face and please play the carriers in that game.
A carrier in that game has a flight deck and a set number of squadrons. There are a few type of ships in there to make it easy the standard Fighter, Interceptor and Bomber
Fighter
Good against small/medium ships perfect mix between speed and power however its power is to weak for big targets and its speed not well suited for dogfights

Interceptor
Used as shield against other enemy fighters/bombers the highest speed possible but not enough punch to pose a threat for ships bigger than a scout.

Bombers
ohh the nasty ones, the ones a big capital fears even more than its mother in law. These lil buggers got one hell of a punch although slow like a turtle it’s got the armor to match. Point defense is effective but damn you need a lot to feel safe.. or get some fighter cover. Slow target are easy target even for your average fighter.

If you have 3 squadron slots you can only send up in total 3 squadrons of fighters, not more. This gives us a control over the “lag” produced by carriers. Also a supply nearby wont be able to help create lag by restocking the carriers because of the squadron limit.

Perhaps a flight deck screen would be great under on of the F buttons to manage your squadron slots and check what loadout they would need.

On the map a fighter from you flight deck would appear as a white icon, so you don’t get confused when multiple carriers are operating in the area. The flight deck beside loadout and selection also let you launch them and make them land.

The way we use fighters now is with an icon in the fire menu as a weapon point and click, make the fighter icon from a weapon into a launch system, I say system on purpose each icon in your layout gives room for 1 squadron, the more icons they more fighters.

Anyway you realy need to play Midway to understand the idea, it just struck me that the way they use the carriers could be DS its way of actually make a carrier more than a spam machine.

Who cares if this is a blatant ripoff of the game, if it works it works and lemme tell you, you get me that system and ill be flying only carriers *okay maybe an AD for fun*

Cheers.

- Axi

Admiral Arctica
Fleet Admiral
Interstellar Cultural Confederation United

Posted: 2007-08-09 09:41   
So basically what you mean is that the regular fighters are against interceptor fighters and Destroyer class (Frigate, Scout) ships, bomber fighter against Cruiser and above, interceptor fighters for bomber fighters.

In general, I like the idea of having a control system over fighters but I've heard it's hard to code it into the game, as it needs a new AI for the fighters. But I would like to see something like this implemented after .484 has been released along with platforms.

[ This Message was edited by: Fatal ICCS Arctica on 2007-08-09 09:45 ]

Email Admiral Arctica
Axianda The Royal
Fleet Admiral
Terra Squadron

Posted: 2007-08-09 15:01   
Well thats the buety of it as far as my non coding mind can see, the fighters themselves are still as smart as your regular IT missile, only you can order them around via a point and click system.

- Axi

Fattierob
Vice Admiral

Posted: 2007-08-09 15:21   
Quote:

On 2007-08-08 17:36, Axianda wrote:

Hey look, Let me simply the hailstorm of backy coming on before he does

1) Darkspace != world war 2

2) Carriers seriously suck because spaceplanes die in one hit (Hence, they are given spam attacks to acatually do any decent damage before they die)

2.b) Carriers also seriously suck because theirs no fighter interface.

2.c) Also because you can't launch all your fighters/bombers/interceptors at once

3) I agree we need to do some work on spaceplnes - Fighters should be for ...fighting...taking down ships. Bombers should be for planet nuking. Intercepters fire lazors (pew pew!) against fighters and bombers only.

Anyway, thats not really high on the list for this version.

Supertrooper
Marshal
Pitch Black

Posted: 2007-08-09 20:27   
I think Carriers aught to get a better model, that looks more like a carrier..

Agincourt is a good start, but need more =P

Email Supertrooper
BackSlash
Marshal
Galactic Navy

Posted: 2007-08-11 17:24   
In general I dislike any reference to DarkSpace and WW combat in anyway, because you cannot compare the two. Carriers here, and carriers then are quite different, as they can serve as different platforms. I think the way we wanted to take it was that Carriers flew a more supportive role, and were more helpful - carrying ECM, ECCM, Scanners and the like, and quite a few of each to help support the fleet.

Fighters will get a re-evaluation and balance when the new fighter interface comes out (because quite obvious it allows for different styles of play like never before in carriers, and to stop certain tactics (attacking and pulling them away before they get in pulse wave or PD range) that would break the gameplay.

I enjoyed the read, but I don't think some of your ideas would fit into the balance of the game.

We have a huge problem with bombing now, and adding mother-of-all-bombers into the game under the guise of "Bomber Fighters", would not be in the best interests of the game. Like I said before, the Carrier needs to fill a support role, much like the Missile Dread in a certain way. It's meant to assist the fleet in whatever it can. Assault Fighters to help with damage, or perhaps sent after smaller ships if you don't have many smaller support ships. Interceptors to protect ships that you may perhaps want to keep alive (stations/supplies). And Bombers to assist with keeping the shields down on a planet in-between runs, or even slowly taking them down with the assistance of bomber.

I agree with the speed idea, in that defensive types should be far quicker as so they lack any sort of offencive power. Assault's should be medium speed, and pack medium punch, and bombers should be slow, as to allow for bombers to stack bombs (and therein, no need to release vast amounts of bombing fighters to bomb a planet).

Nice post!

Junky Da FunkyMonke
Admiral

From: The Hotel California, takes excursions to Deep Sexys Space every now and then
Posted: 2007-08-11 20:45   
/me imagines zeros and pulse lasers /thinks sad ending
um agincourt looks like a kinda-carreir fighter ais need to be reinvented before we could work this out good idea though

doda *EP5 no longer exception...*
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2007-08-18 00:07   
Actually fighters are strong, you can actually 1 hit through a dreads armour with a nice fighter stack. Just the problem is getting the dreadnaught to stay in one place for the fighters to hit.

Light-of-Aurora
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2007-08-28 18:28   
What if we made carriers look more like SC blimps?
Hell, ICC got BC's, UGTO got the blimps, and K'luth got... uh

Well, I'd fly them lol

Email Light-of-Aurora
Page created in 0.014512 seconds.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024 Palestar Inc. All rights reserved worldwide.
Terms of use - DarkSpace is a Registered Trademark of PALESTAR