No kills today... yet.

Upcoming Events

- Weekly DarkSpace
05/04/24 +1.1 Days

Search

Anniversaries

No anniversaries today.

Social Media

Why not join us on Discord for a chat, or follow us on Twitter or Facebook for more information and fan updates?

Network

DarkSpace
DarkSpace - Beta
Palestar

[FAQ
Forum Index » » Developer Feedback » » Ship Names
 Author Ship Names
Leonide
Grand Admiral
Templar Knights

Posted: 2007-07-25 19:29   
i got a question....how hard would it be to add ship names to the name that appears when you highlite a ship diamond? if you look at NavyField, they have it down really good, in fact, you are requiered to name your ship before you buy it. i suppose we can do the same, have a popup thing that appears when we click the spawn button. make it optional, too.

captain of the ICC Assault Cruiser C.S.S. Sledgehammer

Email Leonide
BackSlash
Marshal
Galactic Navy

Posted: 2007-07-25 19:48   
Wouldn't be hard. It'd just require more data to be taken from the database everytime you spawn, and that's something we really want to cut down on until we get a server capable of dealing with a lot of requests.

Coeus
Grand Admiral
Sundered Weimeriners

Posted: 2007-07-25 21:06   
I'd, personally, love to see this feature implimented - a few lines of text & code are all I think would be required (without seeing the databases & code involved with saving a ship) when you spawn a new ship, you get to name it - the prefix is already designated by your factin (and fleet if possible?) so if you're ICC the prefix is C.S.S. and if UGTO its U.W.S, and whatever for the lobsters, and that is saved along with the ship until it is destroyed or removed from garage.

How hard would that be, realistically?

ICC Security Council Chief Enforcer

Email Coeus   Goto the website of Coeus
BackSlash
Marshal
Galactic Navy

Posted: 2007-07-25 21:49   
Quote:

On 2007-07-25 21:06, Coeus wrote:
I'd, personally, love to see this feature implimented - a few lines of text & code are all I think would be required (without seeing the databases & code involved with saving a ship) when you spawn a new ship, you get to name it - the prefix is already designated by your factin (and fleet if possible?) so if you're ICC the prefix is C.S.S. and if UGTO its U.W.S, and whatever for the lobsters, and that is saved along with the ship until it is destroyed or removed from garage.

How hard would that be, realistically?

Everytime someone clicks on a player, that data hase to be fetched. Or if you're clicking on lots of ships in your garage at once, the database is getting trashed with information requests. It also means the moderators have even more to do, with checking silly/offensive ship names.

Junky Da FunkyMonke
Admiral

From: The Hotel California, takes excursions to Deep Sexys Space every now and then
Posted: 2007-08-05 00:11   
just dont let people put really offensive names

Fattierob
Vice Admiral

Posted: 2007-08-05 00:31   
Quote:

On 2007-07-25 21:49, BackSlash *Jack* wrote:
Everytime someone clicks on a player, that data hase to be fetched. Or if you're clicking on lots of ships in your garage at once, the database is getting trashed with information requests. It also means the moderators have even more to do, with checking silly/offensive ship names.

Oh, so I guess downloading it once to your computer in a temporary cache for each ship is out of the question. Make it like your name, so you can't change it in game. This fixes all of the problems you just mentioned. Offensive things get reported *really* fast, and it's not like it'll happen alot.

[/quote]

Junky Da FunkyMonke
Admiral

From: The Hotel California, takes excursions to Deep Sexys Space every now and then
Posted: 2007-08-05 00:33   
about offensive names this game dosent have 1 million people playing all the time usually 20 people playing at once on mv

BackSlash
Marshal
Galactic Navy

Posted: 2007-08-06 19:56   
Quote:

On 2007-08-05 00:33, Junky wrote:
about offensive names this game dosent have 1 million people playing all the time usually 20 people playing at once on mv

Doesn't matter if there's 1, or 1 million players. The rules are rules, and still need to be followed.

Leonide
Grand Admiral
Templar Knights

Posted: 2007-08-06 20:24   
...he is talking about the chances of an offensive ship name...not talking about obeying the rules. 20 people in MV means a small amount of names to go through, usually that would be a quick glance.

captain of the ICC Assault Cruiser C.S.S. Sledgehammer

Email Leonide
Page created in 0.013991 seconds.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024 Palestar Inc. All rights reserved worldwide.
Terms of use - DarkSpace is a Registered Trademark of PALESTAR