Combat Kills

Combat kills in last 24 hours:
No kills today... yet.

Upcoming Events

Search

Anniversaries

21th - Sir Oblivion {C?}

Social Media

Why not join us on Discord for a chat, or follow us on Twitter or Facebook for more information and fan updates?

Network

DarkSpace
DarkSpace - Beta
Palestar

[FAQ
Forum Index » » English (General) » » donate to DS?
 Author donate to DS?
Paranius Starsplitter
Cadet

Posted: 2007-07-04 20:03   
what if we made a donation system?

lets say im brand new, but i give faustus 500 dollars. holy crap, i've just moved up the noob ranks in prestige and/or i chose to have a lot of credits!

get my point? it could be a donation/reward system. it will allow your selfless acts to be rewarded selfishly!!! helps both selfess and selfish people!!! you cna choose prestige, credits, and who knows what else!! maybe a specially coloured name?? hahaha!

what do you all think?

edit: btw my point to this is that if he gets a constant income of donations enough, he could make DS his full-time job. also, minor donations will be able to go to server/connection upgrades and such

additionally you can send MORE money to get MORE prestige (or whatever else!)!! a ship maybe? i dont know!! up to the community and faustus to decide. the donation system would simply be connected to your profile, and it would be under the profile link on the left of this web site! it'd be super-easy to implement, just some web site/database code that is already working with profiles and subscriptions!

and they dont have to be set numbers, maybe you can get a percentage of your prestige based on the money you send in, too??!! and not just prestige, im sure theres more we can figure out!

more money to faustus = even better game, less lag. and eventually advertising (more playerrs)

[ This Message was edited by: Paranius Starsplitter on 2007-07-04 20:26 ]

Goto the website of Paranius Starsplitter
-Daedalus-
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2007-07-04 20:05   
*rolls around giggling*

Challenger
Marshal

Posted: 2007-07-04 20:17   
I highly doubt this will ever get approved. I asked years ago if we could sell accounts on Ebay. While it was never tuned down officialy it was discouraged.

Essentialy you are talking about the same thing. spending money to get higher up the ladder.

Although if you want i could sell you my account say for $5000.00

Email Challenger
Paranius Starsplitter
Cadet

Posted: 2007-07-04 20:18   
LOL

Peter Wiggin
Midshipman

Posted: 2007-07-04 20:31   
So the rich people would get GA in a day, and the people that cant afford it will have to work their way.. what does this remind me of...?

Paranius Starsplitter
Cadet

Posted: 2007-07-04 20:35   
whats wrong with that? the rich people support DS, and they get THEIR fun out of the game. good for them, every player is a parallel.

players who dont donate for prestige will have much more pride in their accomplishments, whereas rich people will be proud to support one of their favourite games, allowing the poor people to continue playing! and those regular people inbetween may be happy to get a little boost now and then as well.

edit: you cant forget the kids too. kids wont be able to donate much, probably NOT AT ALL because few parents would agree to it. so the MV won't be dominated by a bunch of rich people, just passing thru. naah, kids will once again make up teh majority of DS (as they did when it was in beta).

kids, who have a lot more time on their hands, will probably get the most enjoyment, reaping the success of a more seamless game, packed with people and backed with donations!

and whats wrong with that? kids will spread this game like crazy, and they take games very seriously because they have no real lives yet. i like playing with kids because they are more intelligent with games in general. video games (like DS) ARE their lives, and so many will gladly adhere to honor and codes and other things (even if they are... abit silly)

[ This Message was edited by: Paranius Starsplitter on 2007-07-04 20:43 ]

Little Pet Slinki
Admiral

Posted: 2007-07-04 21:21   
Donations would not be seen on audits, they could go to anywhere, Including straight to Faustas's Pockets. If you wish to Donate, Subscribe for a year or something, Then UnSubscribe then Subscribe again.

Thus Donating a Years Play worth of Money to DS.

Repeat if you wish to donate more, It goes straight into DS then and pays for servers, Upgrades hardware etc.

Goto the website of Little Pet Slinki
Doran
Chief Marshal
Galactic Navy

Posted: 2007-07-04 21:22   
Quote:

On 2007-07-04 20:03, Paranius Starsplitter wrote:
constant income of donations

dont think "constant income" and "donations" belong in the same sentance

Enterprise
Chief Marshal

Posted: 2007-07-04 21:43   
The concept would work excellently...

In a FREE GAME.

As you can see, Darkspace is not a completely* free game. This is a problem. If I pay to play, why should I not get something more than the ability to gain prestige?

Also - there is a distinct problem that yes, those who are rich would get GA instantly and it might be fun if it didn't mean the MV would be filled with inexperienced people in Stations and Dreadnoughts etc., not to mention people who have already worked their time for it and payed in full their subscriptions for.

So not only unfair, its also exceptionally problematic.

Now, I have nothing against people donating for nothing in return. I mean, thats a completely selfless act of charity. Who DOESN'T love that? Thats great. I'd do it myself if I could.

Butttt, theres lots of legal stuff surrounding donations, and thats not my department. The thing is, people often expect something in return for those donations, and anything give that directly gives an advantage over other paying players is wrong.

If you want to "donate" subscribe a ton of people, or make a ton of alts. I donate my own way with my $10 a month, even if I hardly play anymore, and its nothing to shun if you do.

-Ent

GothThug {C?}
Fleet Admiral

Posted: 2007-07-05 00:01   
i like this guy..hey paranius i KINDA like your idea but then again im one of those POOR people who love too play this kind of game and like....i disagree with it totally sorry dude...

Email GothThug {C?}
Borgie
Chief Marshal
Pitch Black

Posted: 2007-07-05 18:01   
5k for a ga account.. hell spend 3 weeks nuking in mv and your a ga

Email Borgie
Paranius Starsplitter
Cadet

Posted: 2007-07-05 21:42   
thank you Ent and others. i think you miss the point, the real selfless act of donation would be us normal people supporting this and letting this pass! so what if a super-rich person makes GA? good for him.

i personally am NOT going to put thousands and thousands into DS so i can make GA, but if theres only just at least 1 person there, we've made a huge return from the hard work of implementing the system!

those rare rich people are going to be more inexperienced and likely less-effective unless they do their research and get help frrom the more experienced players, but whats wrong with that? that rich fleet admiral could be YOUR rich fleet admiral (on your side!)! he's another playable asset like all otehr players, and he's greatly supporting this game!

----------

i beg you people to embrace this idea. furhtermore i demand we take subscriptions OFF so that this game becomes the only decent MMO (3-D, polished, etc.) thats COMPLETELY FREE TO PLAY! this will quickly explode into 1 of the most popular games in the world if it were completely free, like it was exploding in beta.

with subscriptions off, it will attract so many people who will personally attract rich people (people attract people), who will donate their little bits, or massive amounts, intto DS! you can play either through hard work and time and effort, or just give your money to faustus!

and WHATS WRONG with faustus getting so much money? he IS darkspace. DARKSPACE.IS.FAUSTUS. and vice versa. it should be up to him how he balances the darkspace fortune. in hte worst case scenario, he ignores DS, and his great income is gone. in the best case scenario, he can hire teams of skilled programmers to assist him (or take his place following his visions) to further develop DS thru gameplay/graphical upgrades!!

----------

btw, i dont want to advertise other games, but there is a much worse much crappier primarily-text (and #%?^~!^~ty 2-D img files) MMO game called Neveron that is RICH off player donations, although most people that play that game do not donate! thats why its so popular, they kept it a normal free game, but allowed donations for rewards, anyway! this means the massive free community attracts donators!! THIS HELPS FREE PLAYERS AND RICH PLAYERS!! IT LETS THE GAME HAVE REVENUE AND EVOLVE!

i honestly believei ts the best and most revolutionary way to have an income for a game, and im sure other MMOs in the future will figure this out!DS is a much more polished game, it should do the same thing! donations don't have to be taxed or anything, they are nearly 100 percent efficient!

Paranius Starsplitter
Cadet

Posted: 2007-07-05 21:45   
at this current state in time, DS makes meagre income...it cannot even pay 1 member of its team full-time!

and its not even popular.

its time for change. the game can stay exactly like it is (but probably even IMPROVED!), with all its fairness and everything. just...on top of that....let people skip ahead if they have money. thats all.

a free MMO of this kind would QUICKLY gain attention, and inevitably the attention of wealthier people. the already established fairnes would maintain the growing community who will test-drive this free game, and stay. but the possibilities to wealthy people will take their money and keep them as well. i dont even have a lot of money to donate personally, but i am willing to USE the rich people to my own ends. USE THEM, don't they have your (real) money anyway??!! (no offense to rich people, god knows they're generous)

edit: please dont senselessly flame this idea, really think about what i suggested and how it would impact YOU! it would only make this game better, if it had enough money to pay faustus, and a real team, full-time salaries!

[ This Message was edited by: Paranius Starsplitter on 2007-07-05 21:52 ]

Peter Wiggin
Midshipman

Posted: 2007-07-06 01:12   
Where do I start with this?

First of all, text based games don't require anywhere near the resources darkspace does, thus if darkspace was free and people did not put in enough donations, Faustus could not afford the servers and he would be in debt(or just shut the game down).

Darkspace is fine as is. It pays its own bills. If you want to donate, then subscribe a bunch of people. That is purely selfless.. thats what a donation is..

Page created in 0.022010 seconds.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024 Palestar Inc. All rights reserved worldwide.
Terms of use - DarkSpace is a Registered Trademark of PALESTAR