No kills today... yet.

Upcoming Events

- Weekly DarkSpace
05/11/24 +6.1 Days

Search

Anniversaries

21th - Sir Oblivion {C?}

Social Media

Why not join us on Discord for a chat, or follow us on Twitter or Facebook for more information and fan updates?

Network

DarkSpace
DarkSpace - Beta
Palestar

[FAQ
Forum Index » » English (General) » » A survey of 3 month in Darkspace - This games main problem are the players
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )
 Author A survey of 3 month in Darkspace - This games main problem are the players
Naudet
1st Rear Admiral

Posted: 2007-07-04 14:35   
First i must say a few words about MMOPG bachround so you know on which experiences my survey is based. I startet online gaming a decade ago, at a time when MMOPGs just startet to develop and were not that popular.
Playing mostly Flighsimulations i went over to RPGs when WOW came out. After 2 years there, i looked for an alternative. I found Darkspace and EVE Online as i was looking for something space based.
From the looks of the ships and cause of the published ROCs i decided myself for darkspace.

Cause there in the ROC the magic words "community", "sportsmannship" and so on attracted me. I know these virtues well from my flight simulation MMOG. There the players seaked for challenges and competition. And although you fought hard, the community spirit was based on respect and comradeship.

In WOW i quickly realized that noone was interested in either respect, fairness or even challenges. So it was time to leave that behind.

Darkspace seemed the right choice. Sadly i now have to say it was not. The game might have some technical problems and version 1.483 (which is the only version i know) may be somewhat unbalanced, but the main problem from my point of view are the currently active players.

And these problem gets even worse due to the difference between the claim that is raised in the ROC and the reality of the Metaverse. The daily business of the MV is anything but fair and sportsmanlike. Noone seems to have any interest in challenging battles with about even odds. Only prestige farming counts and any means are allowed.

I unsubbed and i am sad i had to. The game itself has so much potential and my respect to the developers that they keep this game running for over 6 years now. But to be honest i think the future of darkspace is dark, when the active player base doesnt drasticly change its behaviour.

Just take the ROC serious and act according to the ROCs spirit.
This is a game, noone has to prove anything here. It should be entertaining and fun for everyone, not only urself. Just because "they" do something cheap, follow them an do it yourself.
Be generous, be fair and don't do to others what you dont like to be done to urself.

Simple rules, easy to follow and noone would loose anything, just the community could win allot.

Think of it.

Goodbye

Tommas [ USF HunnyBunny ]
Chief Marshal
Pitch Black

Posted: 2007-07-04 14:48   
well i think the ppl in here arnt bad..ofc some ppl iritates other etc..but thats life..anyways true what u say about the prestige. but thats one of the achivment in the game, such as money got in life...( for some ).

Anyways ive enjoid alot of battles with you and i hope that you one day return to Darkspace to continue the battle.

Enterprise
Chief Marshal

Posted: 2007-07-04 15:31   
Maybe now those same players will stop yelling at vets for trying to maintain those same virtues. Its sad to see someone who has respect for others leave beacuse he sees what alot of older players do too.

Its sadder because, if this poster had come here during .480, or .482, he'd have found the community he sought. Its saddening, because a good player might have stuck around, but didnt because the people who ruin this game just don't care.

I'm sorry to see you go, because players with that kind of attitude nowadays are rare indeed.

And I have to agree with him. After all Mirving itself isnt a problem, its the players that abuse it. And thats just an example of the multitudes of issues! Like he has said, they aren't problems that cant be overcome, but he's seen the community, and well.. its not as good as it used to be.

In any case, I hope it opens up the eyes of those who have for the past two years, made DS not the best community I've known.

But I doubt it will. It will take a patch to drive them out.

-Ent

GothThug {C?}
Fleet Admiral

Posted: 2007-07-04 16:16   
Quote:

On 2007-07-04 14:35, Naudet wrote:
First i must say a few words about MMOPG bachround so you know on which experiences my survey is based. I startet online gaming a decade ago, at a time when MMOPGs just startet to develop and were not that popular.
Playing mostly Flighsimulations i went over to RPGs when WOW came out. After 2 years there, i looked for an alternative. I found Darkspace and EVE Online as i was looking for something space based.
From the looks of the ships and cause of the published ROCs i decided myself for darkspace.

Cause there in the ROC the magic words "community", "sportsmannship" and so on attracted me. I know these virtues well from my flight simulation MMOG. There the players seaked for challenges and competition. And although you fought hard, the community spirit was based on respect and comradeship.

In WOW i quickly realized that noone was interested in either respect, fairness or even challenges. So it was time to leave that behind.

Darkspace seemed the right choice. Sadly i now have to say it was not. The game might have some technical problems and version 1.483 (which is the only version i know) may be somewhat unbalanced, but the main problem from my point of view are the currently active players.

And these problem gets even worse due to the difference between the claim that is raised in the ROC and the reality of the Metaverse. The daily business of the MV is anything but fair and sportsmanlike. Noone seems to have any interest in challenging battles with about even odds. Only prestige farming counts and any means are allowed.

I unsubbed and i am sad i had to. The game itself has so much potential and my respect to the developers that they keep this game running for over 6 years now. But to be honest i think the future of darkspace is dark, when the active player base doesnt drasticly change its behaviour.

Just take the ROC serious and act according to the ROCs spirit.
This is a game, noone has to prove anything here. It should be entertaining and fun for everyone, not only urself. Just because "they" do something cheap, follow them an do it yourself.
Be generous, be fair and don't do to others what you dont like to be done to urself.

Simple rules, easy to follow and noone would loose anything, just the community could win allot.

Think of it.

Goodbye

Naudet, i dont know you but im sad to see you go man...i cant tell you what to do and as far as im conserned this is the best community i've ever served with in Darkspace sure this version is messed up its bad but hey what patch doesnt have its flaws....all im sayin is this community at its very essence pulls together at a time of need and they're damn good at their jobs Im sorry some players had the gall to run a potentially good player like yourself out...but please look in on us from time to time

Email GothThug {C?}
Bankai!
Cadet

Posted: 2007-07-04 16:27   
Everything you say here is true. I used to play on another account some months ago but this community as you said is not the kind i want to be a part of. And so i guess people like me and you will continue searching for a good community, and i hope there is such a community out there.

P.S. i may or may not check up once in a while, but the recent forum activity shows that there hasnt been much of a change since i last unsubbed. Actually i'll problaby just lobby camp. Anyways good luck with the new patch

icansee
Cadet

Posted: 2007-07-04 16:33   
it seems mr.naudet seeems to be putting down every game in sight.. good luck.. ull need it, i myself was a Staff Pilot For a Flight Simulator Group agreed its not like this.. but this has so much more depth in fs 2002-2004-fx it has no bugs or challenges.. if u want the perfect community go back to that i personally prefer the best of both worlds.. it seems your not after a game ur looking for something called a chat room

[ This Message was edited by: HMS Blueprint on 2007-07-04 16:38 ]

-BaronVonVirtunov
Cadet

Posted: 2007-07-04 16:44   
You see, there comes a problem when stats are part of a game.

Lets take an honest look at Darkspace here, there's not exactly that many people playing in the metaverse, it's quite apparent by stats that the majority of the players are more interested in padding their stats with planet destruction and construction points than to actually shoot each other (you know, it's war and all.) The community grows selfish in the fact that it quite appears that people would rather get extra prestige by bombing other planets while people bomb yours than to actually do things such as work together and defend and whatnot. Now, what would cause this? Selfishness? Lack of maturity? I cannot honestly tell you for sure considering I only recently know the lobby side of things.

Next question, how did the community get to this point? Well the most obvious thing to point out would be the older players leaving the game due to the lack of content additions to the game they subscribed to. What remains is an old-school group of players who can be quite elitist when their beliefs are challenged and a new-school of mostly young kids who are looking for quake in space.

So then, where is the control for these players? Here lies the next issue with the game that's plagued it for a long time now. Administration tends to beat the rooster and nurse the chicks in this game in an obvious attempt to bring in more players to the game. While this may or may not keep players, it creates an imbalance that allows immaturity to run rampant among the newer community. Here's a perfect example for you. A newer player was in the lobby channel being arrogant and lieing about things such as his age, and details of a question he was asking the other players. When confronting him, he made threats of using malicious means to harm my computer. So, I was quite not amused. I then spent the next good while asking him to apologize and eventually getting into another "e-confrontation" where my main account was then banned at random for something like 6 weeks due to a particular moderator's bad mood and the original instigating player was muted for a few minutes.

Therein lies another issue described there as well that has also been present for a long time that is also an issue at times in EVE Online. Wildly varying punishments are given to the same crime, partly related to the past issue discussed. What these problems in general cause is a community rampant in immaturity, lack of respect for others, and HUGE egos because the moderators do not wish to lose any players that are potential profit by punishing them.

So then, how do you fix this? Can it be fixed? I believe you can fix the community, if the game is fixed. What currently exists is not good for the future at all. The lack of proper updates to this game drove players away to other games and its obvious people are afraid it still can, you can't post a link to a browser game without getting warned in the lobby. What you guys don't understand is that most people aren't here to be sympathetic to a developer for years on end, they are here to pay for a game and for that experience to always be improved, its pretty much what the pay to play model is for. The oppressing dictator approach to shield players from other games isn't going to help in the long run.

Anyways, if you can fix the game and update it regularly, the players MAY come back. Then again, they might not, bad memories and better experiences afterward might keep them away even if it is fixed. These are the people you need to return if you ever expect to see an improvement in the community. However, this game engine is becoming more and more dated, putting it further under the radar, time is always ticking away.

icansee
Cadet

Posted: 2007-07-04 16:51   
ds will become a classic even eve hasnt beaten it i doubt ds was anyones 1st mmo but u cant stop new players joinin.. some are arrogant and some are just downright anoying like me the answer lies in teh patch when u have no choice but to work together then itll happen and no its not selfishness as a bomber i can tell you most of the time its through sheer boredom what else do you do shoot at blank space?

-BaronVonVirtunov
Cadet

Posted: 2007-07-04 16:55   
Quote:

On 2007-07-04 16:51, HMS Blueprint wrote:
ds will become a classic even eve hasnt beaten it i doubt ds was anyones 1st mmo but u cant stop new players joinin.. some are arrogant and some are just downright anoying like me the answer lies in teh patch when u have no choice but to work together then itll happen and no its not selfishness as a bomber i can tell you most of the time its through sheer boredom what else do you do shoot at blank space?

I don't even really know what this means, but in terms of profit/success and whatnot, EVE quite surpassed Darkspace. Otherwise, I don't exactly understand what you are saying.

Bankai!
Cadet

Posted: 2007-07-04 16:58   
Umm a classic? I woulnt push it that far, i did hear the old patches were awsome, but the question is where did all of those good old times go? Where did those large numbers of players go? Where did the fun go? Where did the teamwork go? Although i must say i am interested in the next patch and hearing the hard work several people have been putting into the changes to the ships and all that stuff is the only thing keeping me here.

Rogue Spear
Grand Admiral
Galactic Navy

Posted: 2007-07-04 17:01   
Im sorry but as far back as I remember there has always been some form of bickering between players. True the 1.480 days were better as far as terms of sportsmanship compared to today but they were still far from perfect.

Reasons why there is and always will be bickering amongst the community:

1. Its a combat game (3 factions fighting to exterminate each other)

2. Unbalanced (not just in terms of ships, but also player numbers and skill)

3. Maturity (not everyone here is an adult, or mature for that matter)

4. S.W *DO NOT use explicit or sexual related subject matter in the forums Rogue*..........ps: I luv you (Mr Black)

5. bugs/exploits (these obviously cause friction amongst players)

6. Differences of opinion (some people are right, and others just think they are)

7. Interdictors (sorry, this one is personal)

8. People (the big one, anywhere you go where there are people, there will be bickering)

Am I saying this perfect community doesnt exist? Yes I am. There are to many variables when you have a game which thousands play. Yes sportmanship is important, and in darkspace I think it is still very strong. In duels for the most part I see mutual respect one on one, but you turn that into fleet on fleet and you have chaos. War is ugly.

Darkspace has been around for what, 6 years? Thats longer than any game I have ever known. Ive yet to find a community which matches Darkspace. The friends, memories, and bonds that have grown with me the past 5 years are something that I will never forget.

Naudet, Im not saying your wrong, infact your quite right, but IMHO your expectations are way to high. My family may be disfunctional, but its still my family, and thats something that will never change.

[ This Message was edited by: Rogue Spear on 2007-07-04 17:26 ]

GothThug {C?}
Fleet Admiral

Posted: 2007-07-04 17:03   
I think he's saying you need to shut yer trap Virtu thats what he's saying XD

Email GothThug {C?}
-BaronVonVirtunov
Cadet

Posted: 2007-07-04 17:05   
Quote:

On 2007-07-04 17:03, Twisted GothThug {C?} wrote:
I think he's saying you need to shut yer trap Virtu thats what he's saying XD

Opinions such as this exist todo nothing but to continue the problem instead of fixing it. The truth isn't always pretty, but hiding the situation won't help you.

[ This Message was edited by: -BaronVonVirtu2 on 2007-07-04 17:10 ]

icansee
Cadet

Posted: 2007-07-04 17:14   
bankai.. really this game has been going for 6 years you cannot put down a game that has survived that long eve is a kidddy compared to this thats what im saying

-BaronVonVirtunov
Cadet

Posted: 2007-07-04 17:19   
Quote:

On 2007-07-04 17:14, HMS Blueprint wrote:
bankai.. really this game has been going for 6 years you cannot put down a game that has survived that long eve is a kidddy compared to this thats what im saying

Biased.

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )
Page created in 0.022505 seconds.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024 Palestar Inc. All rights reserved worldwide.
Terms of use - DarkSpace is a Registered Trademark of PALESTAR