Combat Kills

Combat kills in last 24 hours:
No kills today... yet.

Upcoming Events

Search

Anniversaries

21th - Sir Oblivion {C?}

Social Media

Why not join us on Discord for a chat, or follow us on Twitter or Facebook for more information and fan updates?

Network

DarkSpace
DarkSpace - Beta
Palestar

[FAQ
Forum Index » » English (General) » » Based on Master of Orion
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
 Author Based on Master of Orion
Kanman
Grand Admiral
Pitch Black

Posted: 2007-07-01 17:42   
I post this because I know a lot of the new players ask one question or another to get a feeling of what DS is like. I remember once, when I was still very new to the game, one of the devs (might even have been Faustus himself) said the idea behind DS was real-time Master of Orion. Anyone who has played MOO would easily see the parallels. I always thought this was just a conceptual similarity, however I recently bought and have begun playing MOO3 (to distract me from my in-ability to play DS all summer). I was reading the Historical storyline in the manual when I came across this passage that caught my interest:

"Jump gates were portalsbuilt at jump points that stabilized the jump points and allowed ships without jump drives to use jump lanes. Warp interdictors were based on studies of the interference that nebulae created in jump lanes, and were set up by the Antarans in case hostile forces ever used their own jump gates."

Interestingly enough, MOO3 came out in 2003, about the same time as DS. I wonder if anyone out there was working on both games at the same time.

Anyway, just thought I would share that interestingly familiar passage with you guys.

Sardaukar
Admiral
Raven Warriors

Posted: 2007-07-01 18:10   
While I'm under the impression that the jumpgates in other games all share some common concepts, I can say for certain that you'll get more enjoyment out of MOO2, Galactic Civilizations 2, or a stick, than you will from MOO3.

[ This Message was edited by: Sardaukar *R2D2* on 2007-07-01 18:12 ]

Enterprise
Chief Marshal

Posted: 2007-07-01 18:22   
DS came out before by two years, so we win!

-Ent

Zepher
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2007-07-01 18:55   
hey Kan there sint any such game by the name of master of orion

Email Zepher
Sardaukar
Admiral
Raven Warriors

Posted: 2007-07-01 19:00   
Going to pretend that's a joke... Please...

Kanman
Grand Admiral
Pitch Black

Posted: 2007-07-01 19:04   
Really? MOO2 was better? I played it a little back in the day but never had the chance to get really into a deep game of it. I agree though that this game has a fair number of annoying behavioral traits I do not like, such as spontanious generation of colonies on worlds I have yet to decide to colonize, which then just leaves me with yet another useless world to maintain. The manual claims the game provides a high level of control, but on some aspects of the game I feel powerless.

In what other ways is MOO2 better? I may just go and buy that, too.

Sardaukar
Admiral
Raven Warriors

Posted: 2007-07-01 19:40   
More or less, my time with MOO3 felt like crappy, crappy work. My time with MOO2 felt like lording over an interstellar empire, with fleets of hundreds of ships. I prefer GalCiv2: Dark Avatar over both, though. AI is brilliant and never cheats, despite what some may say.

Kanman
Grand Admiral
Pitch Black

Posted: 2007-07-01 20:12   
Im starting to think an AI team in MOO3 is cheating. It has been dumping dozens of ships per turn into my armada (all small and dying easily) and now hundreds of many more attack ships are wiping me out. I am reasonably confident that the game has not progressed long enough to support the production of that many large vessels. It went in Fleet Strength (which I figure is a measure of military power) from 150ish to 474 in a matter of about 10 turns (which I am sure you know is hardly any time at all in this game). Is it cheating or am I just whining because I am losing?

Sardaukar
Admiral
Raven Warriors

Posted: 2007-07-01 20:20   
If it isn't cheating, it's doing what the GalCiv2 AI does- being very, very effective with it's budget. The GalCiv2 AI keeps it's approval, tax, and expenditures ironed down diamond-tight, maximizing it's potential economy every round, and outright buying ships instead of building them whenever it can afford to do so. It does this so well that the "Normal" AI is playing with a 50% restricted economy, I think.

Supertrooper
Marshal
Pitch Black

Posted: 2007-07-01 20:53   
Jumpgates have been a concept in space games dating back to a few SNES ones I've played.. Their based on the same theory of a 'harnessed' Black Hole, also known as a wormhole, generated by man..

Email Supertrooper
BackSlash
Marshal
Galactic Navy

Posted: 2007-07-02 07:32   
MoO was a huge influence on DS. As were many other sci-fi games (Starfleet Command for example).

Huffywuffy, Mr. Builder
Fleet Admiral
Interstellar Cultural Confederation United

Posted: 2007-07-02 08:19   
Quote:

On 2007-07-01 19:40, Sardaukar *R2D2* wrote:AI is brilliant and never cheats, despite what some may say.

I'm not sure about that... for some reason the AI manages to send their colony ships to the best planets in their neighbourhood, even without scouting, while ignoring the more crappy ones.

[ This Message was edited by: Lord Huffy the Non-Brittanic Gaifen on 2007-07-02 08:20 ]

YIIMM
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2007-07-02 08:33   
The use of the word "interdictor" as a term meaning something that inhibits FTL travel has been around since 1991 at the very latest.

[ This Message was edited by: YIIMM on 2007-07-02 08:34 ]

Fattierob
Vice Admiral

Posted: 2007-07-02 09:55   
Quote:

On 2007-07-02 08:33, YIIMM wrote:
The use of the word "interdictor" as a term meaning something that inhibits FTL travel has been around since 1991 at the very latest.

Wait, we haven't inveted FTL travel yet, how is that possible? XD

YIIMM
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2007-07-02 15:30   
Quote:

On 2007-07-02 09:55, Fattierob (x = (-b + y) / m) wrote:

Wait, we haven't inveted FTL travel yet, how is that possible? XD

Well, that just demonstrates the forsight some people have

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
Page created in 0.028493 seconds.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024 Palestar Inc. All rights reserved worldwide.
Terms of use - DarkSpace is a Registered Trademark of PALESTAR