No kills today... yet.

Upcoming Events

- Weekly DarkSpace
04/27/24 Now

Search

Anniversaries

No anniversaries today.

Social Media

Why not join us on Discord for a chat, or follow us on Twitter or Facebook for more information and fan updates?

Network

DarkSpace
DarkSpace - Beta
Palestar

[FAQ
Forum Index » » Beta Testing Discussion » » Bring back Planet Collisions
 Author Bring back Planet Collisions
Coeus
Grand Admiral
Sundered Weimeriners

Posted: 2007-06-26 18:11   
Consider this a petition to bring back (or keep, however you want to think of it) Planet Collisions in Darkspace Version 1.484. There are several reasons, and I'm sure more people can add their own thoughts to it.

I would ask that you keep your "OMFG NO REMOVE THEM" commentary out of this thread, if you feel strongly that there shouldn't be planet collisions then please make your own thread and state your own rationale for it.

Why are Planetary Collisions so important? Planets have been such an integral part of combat strategy in Darkspace that they really are essential to how the entire game is played. They not only create a solid backbone with which you can protect one or two of your arcs from the enemy but they can also create an impasse with which to keep an aggressive defender at bay long enough to do something like land troops, reach an escape wormhole, charge energy or weapons.

Some may say "OMG What about lag deaths at planets?" Well what about them? Everyones had them, I've had my fair share of them and if it were the current game that this change was implimented in I might ALMOST agree with the removal but with modding undergoing drastic changes, as are the server zones, server backend and everything else that is happening to reduce lag and prevent desynch and make spawning new ships easier it makes zero sence in my opinion to remove this essential part of Darkspace.

Also consider the effect that this will have on bombing. Right now, the only skill there is in bombing is the ability to pull away from the planet in time that you don't belly flop the surface - and with the difficulty of bombing in 484 this is just giving that little inch that bomb abusers may need to find one little bitty exploit.

Tractor smack into planet? I present thee with Josef. In other words, it is yet ANOTHER integral part of Darkspace as it has been for years so much that a whole aspect of the game revolves around it.

I leave it to others to voice their own opinions on the matter and provide their own examples, but I will say that Planetary Collisions and avoiding them is one of the finest examples of Darkspace piloting and skill that can be had. When you are orbiting an enemy planet at 25gu/s with a whole fleet on your tail and you manage to skim the surface so close that the missiles won't fire and two or three of the enemies smack the surface because they're so eager to get you and you escape by a hairs breath and the skin of your teeth... tell me thats not skill?

ICC Security Council Chief Enforcer

Email Coeus   Goto the website of Coeus
Captain Splendid
1st Rear Admiral

Posted: 2007-06-26 18:18   
This goes against the whole "ain't broke don't fix it" philosophy.

I really can't think of a good, solid reason why this was included.

Lacrosseian
Fleet Admiral
Raven Warriors

Posted: 2007-06-26 18:30   
Planet Collisions yes says I!

-RevenG-

Raven Warriors

Posted: 2007-06-26 18:46   
Keep them! I liked smacking planets...

BackSlash
Marshal
Galactic Navy

Posted: 2007-06-26 19:05   
It was just a passing fancy.

Faustus has re-enabled planet collisions. He's also optimised the code, and in doing so has free'd up a ton of resources for other important things, such as /y'ing random Queen songs.

Lacrosseian
Fleet Admiral
Raven Warriors

Posted: 2007-06-26 19:11   
Quote:

On 2007-06-26 18:46, -RevenG- *C3PO* wrote:
Keep them! I liked smacking planets...

Since when do you play?

Coeus
Grand Admiral
Sundered Weimeriners

Posted: 2007-06-26 19:36   
Said the joker to the thief...

ICC Security Council Chief Enforcer

Email Coeus   Goto the website of Coeus
Kanman
Grand Admiral
Pitch Black

Posted: 2007-06-26 19:50   
I see they have been restored before I could say anything. Good deal. Removing them is an interesting idea, but all that would do is allow an enemy to directly charge at you when you are hiding behind a planet for repairs. They would come from up above or down below and then you would need to add top and bottom armor arcs to properly accomodate the new attack dynamic. In the end, Leave the planet collisions in.

GothThug {C?}
Fleet Admiral

Posted: 2007-06-27 02:01   
yeah i think getting rid of planet smacking was a bad idea keep it....instead halve the Res lost and planet collisions again like you did at the beginning of 483 that we we'll be happy or just...Remove the Res lost altogether

Email GothThug {C?}
Smartin
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2007-06-27 19:06   
They are back. I tried to Mr. Cool, and ended smaking the planet like a fool.

DarkSpace Community Website

Email Smartin
Page created in 0.014144 seconds.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024 Palestar Inc. All rights reserved worldwide.
Terms of use - DarkSpace is a Registered Trademark of PALESTAR