No kills today... yet.

Upcoming Events

- Weekly DarkSpace
04/27/24 +48.6 Minutes

Search

Anniversaries

No anniversaries today.

Social Media

Why not join us on Discord for a chat, or follow us on Twitter or Facebook for more information and fan updates?

Network

DarkSpace
DarkSpace - Beta
Palestar

[FAQ
Forum Index » » Beta Testing Discussion » » Prestige loss
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
 Author Prestige loss
Gejaheline
Fleet Admiral
Galactic Navy

Posted: 2007-06-21 12:00   
Quote:

mm, maybe make it so, you hit ctr+d, you get a 10 second timer of "oops", and then after that timer, you hit ctrl+d again to self destruct. the more time you wait to self-destruct, the more damage it does, up to a point. once you're in that mode, you can't change your ships heading or activate any weapons.

...So someone could jump a station into the middle of an enemy fleet, hit CTRL + D, and then wait, charging their kamakaze bomb, until almost all of their seriously chunky hull and armour were gone before unleashing the most bombastic detonation of raining death the universe has ever known?

That seems somewhat counter-productive, especially considering how much more dangerous ship explosions are going to be next version what with the feebler armour on most ships.

Think about it. Generally expected use of self-destructing is to harm the enemy when your death is inevitable. When you die, you explode anyway, so the trick is simply to be on top of someone when they fire that last alpha at you. This would have the added bonus of not adding +1 to your SD stat.

However, most of the occurences of intentional self-destruction I've witnessed are people who have been interdicted and/or whose deaths (or serious damage, at least) are imminent. They will SD before the enemy penetrates their armour, seemingly for the sole purpose of denying the enemy the combat pres they would earn. Intentionally and willingly taking pres loss just to prevent the other team from gaining anything, which strikes me as being against the spirit of good sportsmanship.

So. In conclusion, it is of my opinion that SDing should either have a much greater cost associated with its use, or be disabled entirely, leaving the current pres loss in place to mildly penalise those people foolish enough to torpedo people at point-blank range.

Antdizzle

Posted: 2007-06-21 12:40   
I don't have a problem with the current prestige loss. I think that you should be penalized when you die. I wouldn't have a problem if there was a greater loss. However, I think it is way too high when you can easily die from lag in this version. If lag gets fixed, I won't have a problem with the current prestige loss.

Peter Wiggin
Midshipman

Posted: 2007-06-21 21:25   
I agree with ant on this. With the buffing up of hull, you have a greater chance of surviving due to jump lag(if existent in 484), and even if you do die due to a bug, you are still gaining positive prestige per death in combat/supplying due to hp increases(I assume supply prestige.. or rather the amount per ship... will increase as hull hp increases)

Tommas [ USF HunnyBunny ]
Chief Marshal
Pitch Black

Posted: 2007-06-22 05:27   
As far as the SDing goes, you cant disable it, because its a vital part of the game in my eyes, but you can og course change it....that it does more damage the lower hull u got etc.... or the other way around, the earlier you self destruct, the more prestige u lose, like if u get 100% hull u lose far more pres then if you had 10% hull....

And yes its very good that SDing will make damage to other ship, but lets not get carried away about that, because if u can start to kill other ship/regain the amount of prestige loss from SDing, the whole point will be gone of dying..evryone will be SDing then

[ This Message was edited by: Tommas [ USF HunnyBunny] on 2007-06-22 05:30 ]

Shigernafy
Admiral

Posted: 2007-06-23 10:49   
Geja makes a very good point there..

If the SD system were as proposed, I'd just hit Ctrl-D immediately upon spawn, then fly around waiting to blow up on someone, knowing I'd do the max damage possible when I die.

Though the sportsmanship point is also interesting... but that's all I'll say, to avoid sidetracking the thread

Email Shigernafy
BackSlash
Marshal
Galactic Navy

Posted: 2007-06-23 12:13   
Making it so it gives you 1.5x or 1.25x the prestige loss of the ship is a possibility...

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
Page created in 0.012403 seconds.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024 Palestar Inc. All rights reserved worldwide.
Terms of use - DarkSpace is a Registered Trademark of PALESTAR