No kills today... yet.

Upcoming Events

- Weekly DarkSpace
04/27/24 +8.7 Hours

Search

Anniversaries

No anniversaries today.

Social Media

Why not join us on Discord for a chat, or follow us on Twitter or Facebook for more information and fan updates?

Network

DarkSpace
DarkSpace - Beta
Palestar

[FAQ
Forum Index » » Beta Testing Discussion » » Prestige loss
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
 Author Prestige loss
GothThug {C?}
Fleet Admiral

Posted: 2007-06-19 00:30   
Well, since i figured that we get our ship back after we're destroyed i was kinda hoping that prestige loss would be a thing of the past like gone...no prestige loss...no angry players or atleast Reduce it significantly to where no one gets ticked off after they die like say for:

Dreads: 150 Pres Lost after Destruction

Cruisers: 100 After Destruction

Dessie: 80 After Destruction

Support Station: 400

Battle Station Class: 800+

Command Station Class 1000+

Thats Basically what i had in mind

Email GothThug {C?}
Leonide
Grand Admiral
Templar Knights

Posted: 2007-06-19 00:32   
i like that. 250+ for a dread is stupidly high.

captain of the ICC Assault Cruiser C.S.S. Sledgehammer

Email Leonide
Captain Splendid
1st Rear Admiral

Posted: 2007-06-19 01:36   
I think before it was something like 60 for a cruiser.

One of the reasons why some people left was that in 483 prestige gain became a much more slippery slope, i.e. one death in a mid-sized ship could undo a fair amount of pres gained in a day.

Everyone dies in ships, so I don't think players should be punished too harshly for when it happens, as a higher loss per ship simply tends to discourage people from enaging in the first place. It's harder to have fun if you spend most of the time worrying what's going to happen to your stats.

That doesn't mean people should be wreckless and think they can lose ship after ship by doing something foolish (e.g. jumping into the middle of an enemy fleet alone) without losing anything, so some loss should remain. If anything, I think it would be better if the time lost in getting a new ship, spawning from a SY (which in 484 I think will be far less numerous) and travelling back into the fight was the bigger inconvenience.

BackSlash
Marshal
Galactic Navy

Posted: 2007-06-19 06:39   
We'll see - it all depends on their usefulness.

If their chance of surviving is high and their chances of getting positive prestige are too, we'll yank up the prestige loss, or not, it'll likely stay low.

Me and Drafell both agree that 1.483 prestige loss on death is far too high. You shouldn't be losing a days, if not that, a weeks worth of work with one death.

Enterprise
Chief Marshal

Posted: 2007-06-19 07:52   
Ill have to agree with the above.. one of the more prominent reasons why people jump out before hull is even scratched (and why dictors are hated so much). It makes it hard to keep any combat going if everyone runs away the moment they get hurt a little.

Personally, .482 prestige loss and before was perfect. Dieing wasn't that big of a deal and infact the biggest irritation was remodding and getting back to the fight. You could afford to stay around because you didn't lose so much you couldn't regain is back in a couple of good fights.

I dont think they'll ever be that low again though, however, I do want to point this out. If you increase the prestige loss of ships, you'll get more people unhappy than happy. Most would probably rather prestige harder to get than for it to be any higher.

Also, if you choose to make prestige loss for bigger ships higher, I hope that they are worth every point. Otherwise everyone will likely just stick to cruisers or lower as they are now. No one is going to fly a dread or a station that a single cruiser could knock off.

-Ent

Drafell
Grand Admiral
Mythica

Posted: 2007-06-19 12:55   
It is most likely that we will not be changing anything in regards to prestige loss in 1.484 as most of the current changes will already have a significant impact on the overall loss/gain equation. It is currently projected that due to these innate changes, prestige loss itself will be reduced and combat/supply prestige will be much more readily available. Adversely, bombing prestige will be much harder to gain.

Goto the website of Drafell
Leonide
Grand Admiral
Templar Knights

Posted: 2007-06-19 13:43   
god i hope so.

captain of the ICC Assault Cruiser C.S.S. Sledgehammer

Email Leonide
Lithium
Chief Marshal

Posted: 2007-06-19 19:37   
Losing the ship is a part of the game.
The people should not lose whole daily pres for a death.

station death = 30 minutes building or resupplying
dread death = 25 minutes building or resupplying
cruiser death = 20 minutes building or resupplying
destroyer death = 15 minutes building or resupplying
frigate death = 10 minutes building or resupplying
scout death = 5 minutes building or resupplying

These are necessary loss IMO.

Smartin
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2007-06-19 22:44   
Quote:

On 2007-06-19 19:37, Lithium wrote:
Losing the ship is a part of the game.
The people should not lose whole daily pres for a death.

station death = 30 minutes building or resupplying
dread death = 25 minutes building or resupplying
cruiser death = 20 minutes building or resupplying
destroyer death = 15 minutes building or resupplying
frigate death = 10 minutes building or resupplying
scout death = 5 minutes building or resupplying

These are necessary loss IMO.

I think it would be hard to base ship lost on a time scale. What if their aren't any ships that need sup or their are multiple sups. It would throw everything off.

As far as building goes. I've built a few planets and I know for a fact on a normal terran planet that it takes roughly 1hr to build def 3(1 structure at a time) after you get population and tech up. To say build for 30 minutes and your station death is removed would mean stations would costly roughly 50 prestige per death granted you can find a planet with tech and pop.

I do agree however the prestige loss is way to high in .483. After hearing what the devs have to say we will need to test beta to really see if the blalancing of it all really levels everything out.

DarkSpace Community Website

Email Smartin
Supertrooper
Marshal
Pitch Black

Posted: 2007-06-20 03:18   
I personaly think Prestige loss is fine.

Then again, I'm never really one to care about loosing it.

If it high enough to make it to where SDing and loosing ships wasnt a big penalty, then it'd be fine.

If it was too low, I could see a few people, probably myself, jumping into situations with stations and SDing them..

Email Supertrooper
GothThug {C?}
Fleet Admiral

Posted: 2007-06-20 06:36   
isnt that what got this High prestige loss thing implimented in the first place? goin into battle and SDing station after station, suicide Runs, uh...yeah...im sure some of us have learned our lessons and wont do this again..me included...i just want prestige lowered by a fair bit so some of us wont have to work hard at getting a days worth of prestige when in battle you lose it again...it becomes tiresome

Email GothThug {C?}
BackSlash
Marshal
Galactic Navy

Posted: 2007-06-20 07:42   
Quote:

On 2007-06-20 06:36, Twisted GothThug {C?} wrote:
blah blah

Some people won't have though. We need a way to stop people pulling a ruff 24/7.

Gejaheline
Fleet Admiral
Galactic Navy

Posted: 2007-06-20 12:34   
...Increase the pres cost of a self-destruct?

Alternatively, remove the self-destruct button from the game. It serves virtually no purpose except to deny the enemy prestige and offset your pres loss from death by an often insignificant amount.

Fattierob
Vice Admiral

Posted: 2007-06-20 16:58   
Quote:

On 2007-06-20 12:34, Gejaheline wrote:
...Increase the pres cost of a self-destruct?

Alternatively, remove the self-destruct button from the game. It serves virtually no purpose except to deny the enemy prestige and offset your pres loss from death by an often insignificant amount.

I self-destruct when I feel like it. FIrst you remember my ability to jump with a red line! now you remove my ability to go sucidial! Next you'll tell me I can't collect Sundanium ore! yeesh.

In all seriousness, self-destructing should be a carefully excuted way of making your ships explosion do some last dammage. Like a ship self destructing would do more damage in shockwave then a ship just dying.

mm, maybe make it so, you hit ctr+d, you get a 10 second timer of "oops", and then after that timer, you hit ctrl+d again to self destruct. the more time you wait to self-destruct, the more damage it does, up to a point. once you're in that mode, you can't change your ships heading or activate any weapons.

Captain Splendid
1st Rear Admiral

Posted: 2007-06-21 01:01   
Any damage from SD should be negligable, it's far too open to abuse otherwise.

To make players realise this, the sound effect should reflect the damage caused.

A squeaky toy would be perfect.

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
Page created in 0.021499 seconds.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024 Palestar Inc. All rights reserved worldwide.
Terms of use - DarkSpace is a Registered Trademark of PALESTAR