No kills today... yet.

Upcoming Events

- Weekly DarkSpace
05/04/24 +21.5 Hours

Search

Anniversaries

No anniversaries today.

Social Media

Why not join us on Discord for a chat, or follow us on Twitter or Facebook for more information and fan updates?

Network

DarkSpace
DarkSpace - Beta
Palestar

[FAQ
Forum Index » » Developer Feedback » » Suggestion after reading the meeting log
 Author Suggestion after reading the meeting log
Axianda The Royal
Fleet Admiral
Terra Squadron

Posted: 2007-06-17 14:02   
Quote:

12:34:07 [Admin]Faustus: "so far as I know, I've only got one thing big on my list to get done for this upcoming release.."
12:35:06 [Admin]Faustus: "and that's the changes with the upgrade paths for all devices... it's MUCH MUCH more restrictive.. and we want to keep it really restrictive, but we need to setup reasonable upgrade paths for gadgets ... or decide not to allow it, and just go back to the old static ship device/designs of the original game."
12:35:27 [Admin]Faustus: "so thoughts?"
12:35:30 [Myth]Drafell: "We do need felxibilty"
12:35:31 [-UN-]BackSlash *Jack*: "I've been playing around with paths."
12:35:35 [Myth]Drafell: "flexibilty*"
12:35:45 [-UN-]BackSlash *Jack*: "Flexability within the device type."
12:35:51 [-UN-]BackSlash *Jack*: "But not extending it outside."
12:35:55 [Myth]Drafell: "Players 'want' to be able to custimize their ships, but within sensible constraints."
12:35:58 [-UN-]BackSlash *Jack*: "So keeping missiles with missiles, torps with torps, etc."
12:36:06 [Myth]Drafell: "yes."
12:36:14 [Admin]Faustus: "yes"
12:36:14 [-UN-]BackSlash *Jack*: "It'll seem restrictive at first, but we can always addm ore options for players later."
12:36:21 [Admin]Faustus: "beams with beams... "

So far i know weapon are devided by types, Cannon, Beam, Missile, etc etc.
that is pretty much as far as it goes in terms of difference in weapons.

as i see it you guys wanna keep the layout of ships strict but leave something open to customize to taste. why my make various type's of existing weapons each with its own perks and drawbacks.

an example.
Release side we currently have the IT missle, long range nice tracking but no good when enemy is within a certain range.

i suggest this for more customization options.
IT missiles, Ion Tracking, so basicly the smartes missile type in the game.

IT class Missle
Pure Type
This is the basic type that as an example is now in Beta the other type's are dericed from this base missile.

IT class missile
Hornet Type
fires 2-3 missiles with longer range than the Pure Type, however it will have a serious cut in Payload thus doing less damage. in short a first strike weapon

IT class missle
Jackhammer Type
Range reduced compared to the Pure class same as speed, and tracking ability however due to those reduced the payload could be increased.

now these are just example's however a ship like the Missile Dread suddenly has a lot more options into what kind of platform you make it. do you make it a Defense ship that wants the range or do you want to try and be lucky on the slower Jackhammer missles. or do you play it safe and you dont know what to expect and go for the all round IT type.

hope it made some sence

- Axi

Ospolos
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2007-06-17 14:28   
yea, different variants of the same types is a good idea. Things like multiple fire of the same type (for lasers this translates to longer fire time), changes in range/power/tracking and speeds, maybe hybrids, ammounts fired per volley, reload speeds, fire set off speeds, ect...

I think they already had something like this planned using different variants. Its good because it keeps the level balance the way they are, and still adds flexibilty based on those weapon levels.

[ This Message was edited by: Ospolos on 2007-06-17 14:30 ]

Drafell
Grand Admiral
Mythica

Posted: 2007-06-17 15:07   
Variants already planned, although it is likely I won't be able to work on them or get them introduced before .484 goes live as I am going to have problems with internet access for a while after the end of next week.
We really do need access to the Resourcer and to see how the current changes work in a live beta before going ahead and introducing anything else.

Providing the Resourcer comes up before then, I might be able to get some basic alternatives done and pushed into the game for testing, but it is unlikely as the ship layouts themselves will have the biggest priority.

Goto the website of Drafell
Enterprise
Chief Marshal

Posted: 2007-06-18 07:59   
This idea is wonderful, I was wondering how we could keep great customization with much stricter modding but this does the trick. Having variants of some weapons would be interesting.

Of course, you have to have variants of each one as long as they conform to every factions style, such as no variant of Rail Gun that would make it strong as or stronger than a Psi Cannon, because it just defeats the purpose of faction specific weapons.

-Ent

Smartin
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2007-06-18 19:11   
That is a great idea. I really like it. I also understand it might not be doable in .484, but definetly something to think about in future releases once balance is restored.

DarkSpace Community Website

Email Smartin
BackSlash
Marshal
Galactic Navy

Posted: 2007-06-18 19:47   
We'll be adding more weapons into the mix after 1.484 to make up for the restricted modding.

I doubt things like the "Jackhammer", will be done, because missiles are meant to be used for range, not short range. Makes no sense in making them a short-ranged weapon with increased damage.

But we are going to look at implimenting new weapons so the K'luth don't lose out so much.

Page created in 0.011184 seconds.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024 Palestar Inc. All rights reserved worldwide.
Terms of use - DarkSpace is a Registered Trademark of PALESTAR