Upcoming Events

- Weekly DarkSpace
05/04/24 +2.4 Days

Search

Anniversaries

20th - Relient
19th - Entil-Zha the Starkiller

Social Media

Why not join us on Discord for a chat, or follow us on Twitter or Facebook for more information and fan updates?

Network

DarkSpace
DarkSpace - Beta
Palestar

[FAQ
Forum Index » » Soap Box » » Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End (aka AWE!!)
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
 Author Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End (aka AWE!!)
Demorian
Fleet Admiral
Galactic Navy

Posted: 2007-05-27 11:53   
Here's my review:

(If you enjoy the read, please please please go here and say it was helpful to ye.)

In 2003, “Curse of the Black Pearl” set the stage, the witty and charming little one-act that it could have been.

Then last year’s “Dead Man’s Chest” (aka act two) challenged our singular, two-dimensional perceptions of the first film’s characters and opened our minds to grander possibilities for Captain Jack and crew.

It’s been rough sailing for trilogy finishers lately. “Star Wars: Revenge of the Sith” crushed its chances at sci-fi perfection with a single one-word utterance from the series’ central villain. “Spider-man 3” built your excitement up so high and then left you reaching for the screen, tugging at your own fleeting, crushed hopes. And we’re still trying to pretend the blunders of Larry and Andy Wachowski didn’t happen.

So now all eyes fall on “Pirates of the Caribbean: At World’s End” to buck the trend and remind us why we stick with plot arcs longer than one, or even two movies. It’s a tough crowd to entertain and a tremendous burden to bear.

How does it fare?

Its first and foremost victory is that it doesn’t waste any time. After opening with a quiet, grimly attention-grabbing mass gallows scene, “Pirates” plunges, not unlike the ride, straight into the depths of the fabled far-eastern mecca of the series, Singapore. It keeps a steady pace throughout, never dragging even once.

Next, it establishes a solid rhythm of audience laughter, clearly its second victory. This is a film that understands its audience’s expectations so well that it knows not to take itself too seriously. Between the little eye-rolling giggles and the moments of uproarious hilarity the series is loved for, you’ll never be overwhelmed by all the tension.

For an almost three-hour movie, it’s a great way to keep comfortable; and I’d be remiss to rob the series’ chief source of comedy of his due credit.

Jack’s re-entry into the fray is utterly flawless, a mind-boggling scene that reminds us why we’ll always love to watch Depp’s stumbling, bumbling pirate alter-ego no matter how long he’s on screen by himself (if you can really call it “by himself“).

In fact, the first hour of the film is plot resolution from film two, but instead of making a drag out of all the details, this movie has so much fun with it that you just don’t notice until, all of a sudden, some of the hints that were dropped in the previous picture get blown wide open and you realize that one of the major new forces introduced, perhaps a villain, is actually an existing character.

What makes it work so beautifully is that since the true identity of said character is not discussed or even mentioned until this movie, you saw it coming, but you didn’t at the same time.

And as all the pivotal moments of “At World’s End” pass by your eyes, somewhere along the way you realize that the movie is working.

An incredibly heavy sacrifice Will must make to keep a promise, a heart-wrenching discovery by Elizabeth amidst the weird and haunted shoals (magnificently acted, I might add), a stirring and inspirational speech from a character you wouldn‘t expect, witnessing the true face of Davy Jones, if only for a moment, and a kiss lasting more than five seconds that actually won’t make you wish it would just be over with.

You’ll be watching all this and you’ll be wondering how long the movie can keep it up. You’ll think you know how it all ends, and you’ll already be loving where you think it’s going, and then all of a sudden, everything will stop.

You’ll stare in disbelief as your preconceived notions vanish before your eyes.

Then you’ll continue to stare as the plot winds down from its climax, and slowly begin to realize that “At World’s End” has succeeded; it raised your hopes, stirred your soul up to the boiling point, and then didn’t let you down. It’s the big picture, the culmination of the greater possibilities that “Dead Man’s Chest” left you hoping for.

It’s a complex tale of betrayal, sacrifice, and honor. Well, as much honor as a pirate’s got, which in Jack Sparrow’s case... happens to be more than you might expect. They even get the ending just right. Go see it, and as you drive and then as you take your seats, rest assured that it’s okay to have high expectations.

They’ll be met this time.

...PS. Stay through the credits.

---

SO. Goth, what did you think of this Pirates? Ah, the memories...

-Dem

Nonthought
Cadet

Posted: 2007-05-27 12:19   
I heretell it's so cliched that it's wonderful.

[ This Message was edited by: Nonthought on 2007-05-27 12:20 ]

GothThug {C?}
Fleet Admiral

Posted: 2007-05-27 13:39   
sadly dem i havent watched it yet...i might go see it today but i doubt it lol....If i do i'll love it cause i've been waiting for this movie for a year and OMG once me and my father saw the preview for it he was aching to go see it (we saw the preview for it at the disturbia premiere) and he was really wanting to go see it after he got home from mississippi heh....dont know tho...if i do go see it i wont be disappointed that i felt when i saw Dead mans chest....

Once i bought dead mans chest i got the directors cut and i totally wasnt left unsatisfied hehe

Email GothThug {C?}
-RevenG-

Raven Warriors

Posted: 2007-05-27 14:36   
Dem, mind PMing me what happens at the end of the credits?

Smartin
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2007-05-27 19:52   
Caught tonights 5:20 show. In my opion best one of the series. Good reveiw Dem.

DarkSpace Community Website

Email Smartin
Captain Caveman
Cadet

Posted: 2007-05-29 03:18   
I think I must have watched a different film.

Personally, this trilogy reminded me of the three Matrix films, i.e. first one was great and redefined a genre, second was ok but was only really a scene-setter for the next film, third was utterly disappointing as your expectations had been raised far too high.

I just found the film far too long, with a ridiculously overly complicated story line. Halfway through the film it seems like the screenwriters are just making things up on the fly to conform to Disney deadlines (which according to rumours, they were).

Action wise, I can't criticise this film because some of the special effects are nothing short of jaw-dropping. However, pretty pictures do not a great film make.

My advice, watch the film so that you can say you've watch all three but be prepared to be sorely disappointed when you leave the cinema. I certainly was.

GothThug {C?}
Fleet Admiral

Posted: 2007-05-29 03:47   
I sure wasnt....Gore Verbinski surely Overwelmed my senses with new special effects technowledgy heh,

Email GothThug {C?}
Demorian
Fleet Admiral
Galactic Navy

Posted: 2007-05-29 08:51   
The problem with the Matrix Trilogy is that it introduced a slew of new characters and ideas that were never fully explained.

To be fair, Pirates doesn't do this. After seeing the movie a second time (so my expectations weren't factoring into it and I could pay attention), I could clearly see explanations either plainly presented or deductively arrived at.

I don't think it's a fair comparison. Neither film (Matrix nor Curse of the Black Pearl) were written to be the first part of a trilogy.

Bruckheimer and Verbinski pulled this one off soooo much better. I went back and watched the first movie and was amazed at the things they managed to grab from the first film and make them into bigger concepts.

BUT... as I told Goth last year, you are entitled to your opinion. I'm not trying to say you're wrong about how you feel about the movie... but to compare it to the Matrix is a bit unfair.

-Dem

BackSlash
Marshal
Galactic Navy

Posted: 2007-05-29 11:24   
The Matrix tril. was entirely under-rated. The last film just didn't meet the massive expectations of the entire freaking planet!

Sixkiller
Marshal
Courageous Elite Commandos

Posted: 2007-05-29 11:34   
V for Vendetta!

Drafell
Grand Admiral
Mythica

Posted: 2007-05-29 15:47   
It is good, but it does lack the cohesion that was present in the other films. The acting on some area's feels to be a little hollow, and I think they were trying just a little too hard to get the laughs.

Nevertheless, despite its flaws, it is still a good film to go an see, and a fitting conclusion to what has been a great series.

Goto the website of Drafell
Coeus
Grand Admiral
Sundered Weimeriners

Posted: 2007-05-29 17:26   
Quote:
I heretell it's so cliched that it's wonderful.

Not in the least I found - the ending especially.

Not gonna say anything other than I found it to be A) the best of the series, B) the second best trilogy of the last twenty years, and C) More than worth the wait, so much so that I can't wait to see it again!

ICC Security Council Chief Enforcer

Email Coeus   Goto the website of Coeus
-Pojo
Cadet

Posted: 2007-06-01 19:27   
It is my esteemed and professional opinion that this movie is made of equal parts of awesome and win.

Email -Pojo
GothThug {C?}
Fleet Admiral

Posted: 2007-06-01 21:51   
I loved this pirates movie, after watching the 2nd one one more time i realised i was wrong.....and dem is *dare i say it* RIGHT! oh my god! lol

Email GothThug {C?}
Lux (Polaris)
Fleet Admiral
Raven Warriors

Posted: 2007-06-01 22:19   
Barbossa was my favorite character. And yeah. Great movie.

Loyal Admiral of the Interstellar Cultural Confederation Navy.
Senior Commander of the Raven Warriors, the ICC elite.
Captain of the Assault Dreadnaught \"Gungnir\"

Email Lux (Polaris)
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
Page created in 0.021471 seconds.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024 Palestar Inc. All rights reserved worldwide.
Terms of use - DarkSpace is a Registered Trademark of PALESTAR