Upcoming Events

- Weekly DarkSpace
05/04/24 +2.0 Days

Search

Anniversaries

20th - Relient
19th - Entil-Zha the Starkiller

Social Media

Why not join us on Discord for a chat, or follow us on Twitter or Facebook for more information and fan updates?

Network

DarkSpace
DarkSpace - Beta
Palestar

[FAQ
Forum Index » » English (General) » » College programming project? for DS?
 Author College programming project? for DS?
LAG
Marshal
Lethal Assault Group

Posted: 2007-05-08 06:27   
I have several colleges in the area that work w/ graphic design and the like, such as SCAD (Savannah College of Art and Design). If you haven't heard of it, it is held in high regard throughout the U.S., which has me thinking something. Has anyone considered contacting any of the colleges to see if they are interested in assisting F w/ development? Hell, all you have to do is feed a college student and their happy... ...I should know... hehe, as i'm one of those college students.

If DS is receptive to that type of help, i'll ask around. Between graduate studies students and the academia faculty, who knows. Any interest?

Eledore Massis [R33]
Grand Admiral
Templar Knights

Posted: 2007-05-08 07:09   
nice dubble post.

on the topic.
Ask if the know LUA and ask if there willing to work for fame and respect.

(If there is anny Palestar member here to post a comment about what palestar could offer to some one willing to help with the development of DS plz do.
maby some months subscription ?? i can't say but you can.)

Mr Black
Grand Admiral
Palestar

Posted: 2007-05-08 09:33   
DarkSpace is certainly receptive to community assistance in the development process, although understandably there is a limit to what access can be provided to those interested in helping out.

There are no formal criteria that need to be met. It is more a matter for those who want to submit work to prove their ability by themselves. The one thing we are not short of are idea's, although this is something that the team are always receptive towards reviewing. You may not get the feedback you would like, or even understand why things may not work, but there are occasions when a user suggests a concept that can be integrated into the core game and improve the game system as a whole.

What DarkSpace is really in need of are people who can design and create actual content, such as models and audio/graphical effects as well as other creative projects such as expanding the history and lore behind the game itself. Even concept art is in demand.

Programming is probably the most tricky situation in regards to DarkSpace as it pretty much requires source code access, and gaining such access is very tightly controlled. Richard will not give access to just anyone. You pretty much need to have a long term history of contributions. The same goes for access to the Resourcer which us used to manage all the in-game assets.

Unfortunately there is little that can be offered as a reward, other than providing a platform on which you can prove and establish your credentials. Having your work in an actual published title can go a long way in the software industry. Developers and publishing houses tend to put more stock in proven results as opposed to what your qualifications say you should be capable of.

DS itself doesn't do much more than cover it's own running costs, so other forms of reward are pretty much out of the question for the foreseeable future. It is possible this could change, but it is the main contributing factor with regards to such decisions.

As for what we use for handling game assets:

The models are created and skinned using 3DS Max, currently no later than version 5. Anything created outside of this program has to be imported, and it usually requires a lot of additional work to make the models usable. In most cases it would actually be easier to just redo the models from scratch as opposed to trying to import them from outside sources.

LUA is one of the C family of programming languages and so is relatively easy to pick up if you have any experience in related languages. It is used primarily for event and AI scripting in DS, although it does have the capability to do a lot more than it is currently used for. Having a reasonable amount of experience using PHP, I was able to to gain a degree of competence programming in LUA within less than a week.

For those wishing to learn LUA, take a look at the Basic scripting forum on the Beta website.

Most of the audio effects used in the game are monophonic wave files, although music is in MP3 format.

There are no guarantees that anything submitted will be used. It is entirely up to the development team to approve any such efforts, although due credit will be given to anything that makes it into the game.

I hope this helps.

[ This Message was edited by: Mr Black on 2007-05-08 11:11 ]

Kanman
Grand Admiral
Pitch Black

Posted: 2007-05-08 17:46   
so, basically, if you want to help you can go ahead and do so and when it is ready you just give it to them and they will consider using it. concept art caught my attention. I might have to think about doing some of that.

Fattierob
Vice Admiral

Posted: 2007-05-08 20:11   
Quote:

On 2007-05-08 17:46, Kanman *FC* wrote:
so, basically, if you want to help you can go ahead and do so and when it is ready you just give it to them and they will consider using it. concept art caught my attention. I might have to think about doing some of that.

Basically. I know some people actually modeled some funky stuff.

Just don't expect it to be included within Two Weeks.

Prada
Cadet

Posted: 2007-05-09 13:52   
I should be able to make Weapons/Background effects and maybe a song or two...

BackSlash
Marshal
Galactic Navy

Posted: 2007-05-09 14:37   
Quote:

On 2007-05-09 13:52, Agent Smith wrote:

If you're perficient with sprite art, then go ahead.

LAG
Marshal
Lethal Assault Group

Posted: 2007-05-09 22:03   
deleted

[ This Message was edited by: LAG on 2007-05-10 07:14 ]

LAG
Marshal
Lethal Assault Group

Posted: 2007-05-09 22:03   
deleted

[ This Message was edited by: LAG on 2007-05-10 07:13 ]

Tiffy Rando
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2007-05-10 01:50   
Hey and here I was thinking all this 3DS Max stuff I was doing was worthless cause everyone uses maya nowadays... Cool

Maybe I'll build you guys a luth ship that doesn't look like a rejected hot dog/spider, or an agressive cabbage. Then again UGTO are way cooler

LAG
Marshal
Lethal Assault Group

Posted: 2007-05-10 14:39   
sig test...

BackSlash
Marshal
Galactic Navy

Posted: 2007-05-10 14:48   
Quote:

On 2007-05-10 14:39, LAG wrote:
sig test...

You can view your sig in your profile and via normal posting (or past posts). Sig tests aren't required, and are against the RoC. It also shouldn't be used in a shoddy attempt to bump your topic.

[ This Message was edited by: BackSlash *Jack* on 2007-05-10 14:49 ]

Peter Wiggin
Midshipman

Posted: 2007-05-10 14:56   
Also ur sig is too big look at http://darkspace.net/index.htm?module=news.php&show_article=867&lang=en

Prada
Cadet

Posted: 2007-05-10 18:59   
I know there gana be stupid till I fine tune them and such but where can I post the sounds/GCQL lobby voices.... There around 50mb in all so far"scratch that"under 30mb

Quote:

On 2007-05-09 14:37, BackSlash *Jack* wrote:
Quote:

On 2007-05-09 13:52, Agent Smith wrote:

If you're perficient with sprite art, then go ahead.

I’m referring to sounds.

[small][ This Message was edited by: Agent Smith on 2007-05-10 19:06 ][/small]

[ This Message was edited by: Agent Smith on 2007-05-10 19:14 ]

Page created in 0.025711 seconds.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024 Palestar Inc. All rights reserved worldwide.
Terms of use - DarkSpace is a Registered Trademark of PALESTAR