Upcoming Events

- Weekly DarkSpace
05/04/24 +4.0 Days

Search

Anniversaries

22th - Tellaris
17th - Oskar von Reuenthal

Social Media

Why not join us on Discord for a chat, or follow us on Twitter or Facebook for more information and fan updates?

Network

DarkSpace
DarkSpace - Beta
Palestar

[FAQ
Forum Index » » English (General) » » New player tips...
 Author New player tips...
Losting
Cadet

Posted: 2007-04-10 13:14   
Being new to DarkSpace I would like to ask for some pointers from the vets. The learning curve I am finding out is fairly rough to a noob and I find myself somewhat perplexed on the best way to proceed to gain prestige since I am loosing it faster than I am gaining it.

1) Is there AI that is killable for us low ranks? All I have seen have been the big boys that I have no business being in the area with.

2) Enemy Planets – All seem to be all heavily fortified which again I cannot get near. Is there a procedure on attacking these or are these just pretty much untouchable to me at this point.

3) Are their ‘Missions’ available to take and perform?

4) Is there a protocol on building on planets, I certainly do not want to jinx up another pilots work and get hammered for doing so.

Any tips and guidance on gaining prestige would be very much appreciated.

Plus a thank you to Coombie for giving me some start up cash.

Sixkiller
Marshal
Courageous Elite Commandos

Posted: 2007-04-10 13:17   
Some basic things to know are modding and upgrading, i suggest you ask a player in the server you are playing to help you with those things. For building, there is a basic way planets are usually build. You can also ask players in the server how to start up a planet and what to do when it has enough technology, population and power.

$yTHe {C?}
Grand Admiral
Sundered Weimeriners

Posted: 2007-04-10 13:21   
For 1 and 2, yeah, pretty much. At this point there isn't much you can do by yourself against either of those things. Best course of action to take is to ask what kind of support the other players need. A sup is always a safe bet.

For 3, no there aren't missions. I believe a mission system is in the works, but a Dev would be better qualifed to verify that.

As for building, if theres a planet that needs it, go for it. Just ask around if you have any questions about building. Players are generally willing to give advice so they don't have to go back and fix it themselves

Fattierob
Vice Admiral

Posted: 2007-04-10 13:57   
Quote:

On 2007-04-10 13:14, Losting wrote:
Being new to DarkSpace I would like to ask for some pointers from the vets. The learning curve I am finding out is fairly rough to a noob and I find myself somewhat perplexed on the best way to proceed to gain prestige since I am loosing it faster than I am gaining it.

Well, right now in the game there is a small bug with bombs. That completely level planets. Although it will get you a lot of prestige, everybody will hate you for it. And you won't learn how to play the game.

My suggestion, and mostly everybody elses, is to fly supply ships. It'll teach you how to dodge, since most people who don't suck at the game will target you, and every person will love you for repairing their ship. Might make a few friends and even join a clan that way.

Quote:

1) Is there AI that is killable for us low ranks? All I have seen have been the big boys that I have no business being in the area with.

As of right now, the only AI in the game are super-powered aliens that take whole fleets to take down. I don't think low-level AI would ever be included, because people would just camp it all day and get free prestige.

Quote:

2) Enemy Planets – All seem to be all heavily fortified which again I cannot get near. Is there a procedure on attacking these or are these just pretty much untouchable to me at this point.

Enemy planets aren't supposed to be taken over by one person - lot more people are required. Right now, bombers can do it because of the afermentioned bug, but if you want to take down some planets, find some people on your team, form up, and grab some infantry

Quote:

3) Are their ‘Missions’ available to take and perform?

Nope. Used to be, but I'm 99% sure they got rid of server given missions. If you need money, a lot of vet players usually give hand outs.

Quote:

4) Is there a protocol on building on planets, I certainly do not want to jinx up another pilots work and get hammered for doing so.

I'm pretty sure theres some planet building tutorials around the forums somewhere. I would check the New players & tactics section. Asking around will give you some general ideas. It's very nice to see a new player asking how to build before building domes on earth-like planets XD.

Enterprise
Chief Marshal

Posted: 2007-04-10 14:06   
What Rob said basically.

I would stick to supplying and building until you got enough rank and badges for a decent combat ship (destroyer or better). Bombing with MIRVs will generally get you yelled at and bombing with Neuts might not, use at your own discretion.

The bombing bug really irks alot of the older players because of its ease in gaining prestige, and the fact it takes out one of the main core elements in the gameplay when it comes to planets. Though one small beneficial side effect does allow people to gain building prestige.

I'm also sure theres a building guide somewhere... I'm not sure where, I know someone did one at one point. Its definately good that you decided to seek help on that matter. I can remember too many who didn't. (woohoo for the new guys who build 32 fusion generators on a planet...)

-Ent

GothThug {C?}
Fleet Admiral

Posted: 2007-04-10 21:22   
just avoid mirving or you'll have people like me constantly whining about it lol but yeah neutroning is best but use at own discretion you wouldnt wanna get hunted by a dictor/AD pair lol

Email GothThug {C?}
Borgie
Chief Marshal
Pitch Black

Posted: 2007-04-11 02:37   
Quote:

On 2007-04-10 13:14, Losting wrote:

Any tips and guidance on gaining prestige would be very much appreciated.

get a bomber scout, and leave a few planet instant rank up

Email Borgie
icansee
Cadet

Posted: 2007-04-11 07:31   
yeh lol goth will moan at you *cough /ignore add @(gothsid)

Sanity Assassin (K'Luth propaganda)
Grand Admiral
Sanity Assassins

Posted: 2007-04-11 11:38   
Goth, do i really need to post the multiple picturtes i have of you mirving Luth planets? LoL

Email Sanity Assassin (K'Luth propaganda)   Goto the website of Sanity Assassin (K'Luth propaganda)
Kanman
Grand Admiral
Pitch Black

Posted: 2007-04-11 12:40   
The key that all new players should learn is that power in this game is all about pay-offs. There is a reason I pay 25 bucks a month. 10 bucks officially and then 15 under the table to keep my unofficial authority and community status. See Doran. He will direct you to the admins and moderators that are the cheapest to pay off. The more expensive admins can really put a dent in your wallet, but OMG the power they grant you....

*oh wait. did I just type that out loud?*

doda *EP5 no longer exception...*
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2007-04-11 12:47   
I wouldn't reccomend building when you are just new. Try combat, get to know the game a little. Then move on to supping and then building when you feel you got the hang of the game. Darkspace is a complicated game, so it takes time to adapt to the game.

Sanity Assassin (K'Luth propaganda)
Grand Admiral
Sanity Assassins

Posted: 2007-04-11 14:18   
True, but a safe way for a noob is to just get a transport and cap easy planets, even if its following a mirver about and re-taking the planets. Thats always a safe bet for someone new.

[ This Message was edited by: SANITY ASSASSIN on 2007-04-11 14:18 ]

Email Sanity Assassin (K'Luth propaganda)   Goto the website of Sanity Assassin (K'Luth propaganda)
icansee
Cadet

Posted: 2007-04-11 14:25   
theres always getting help from an expiereinced player e.g a guy in adread say a mandi for instance whos in sa? whos maybe admiral or fleet admiral?

Captain Splendid
1st Rear Admiral

Posted: 2007-04-11 16:21   
The most important advice I can give to you is to know who you should listen to, and who you should steer well clear of.

Peter Wiggin
Midshipman

Posted: 2007-04-11 17:26   
Quote:

On 2007-04-11 14:25, HMS Blueprint wrote:
theres always getting help from an expiereinced player e.g a guy in adread say a mandi for instance whos in sa? whos maybe admiral or fleet admiral?

Try out everything and do what you like the best. Don't do what Goth tells you to do, or what Blueprint tells you to do. Just try things out and see what you like doing yourself.

Page created in 0.026445 seconds.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024 Palestar Inc. All rights reserved worldwide.
Terms of use - DarkSpace is a Registered Trademark of PALESTAR