No kills today... yet.

Upcoming Events

- Weekly DarkSpace
05/04/24 +1.0 Days

Search

Anniversaries

No anniversaries today.

Social Media

Why not join us on Discord for a chat, or follow us on Twitter or Facebook for more information and fan updates?

Network

DarkSpace
DarkSpace - Beta
Palestar

[FAQ
Forum Index » » Developer Feedback » » Fighters be Playable?
 Author Fighters be Playable?
Julz
Cadet

Posted: 2007-03-07 09:26   
Hi All.

[RIMU]Ship-Of-Fools Had an idea, and i thought id put it out for the other nubs [And Faust, admins, mods and GAs] to see.

Anyway. Sof had an idea to make Fighters from carriers playable to factions
. The fighters would be able to dock and undock from the carrier. Every player spawning would control about 5 fighters each (A.K.A. Squadron) There could still be computerised fighters in case the carrier didnt have anyone with him/her.

Probably more to come.

and from Ents reply, is there a way to add armor? *gasp!* there is! (sarcastic )

[ This Message was edited by: Julz*P1* on 2007-03-13 09:48 ]

doda *EP5 no longer exception...*
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2007-03-09 19:24   
I like that idea, sounds like fun too.

Light-of-Aurora
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2007-03-10 10:14   
It's a really cool idea
I think it comes second to all of the easier-to-make balance fixes, though.

Email Light-of-Aurora
Axianda The Royal
Fleet Admiral
Terra Squadron

Posted: 2007-03-12 12:16   
when your ready to get in a fighter call me and ill spawn a carrier...

then again

as soon as you launch ill jump to the nearest SY planet

- Axi

Enterprise
Chief Marshal

Posted: 2007-03-12 13:17   
I dunno why anyone would want to fly in a fighter.

When one beam means your death.

-Ent

Light-of-Aurora
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2007-03-24 22:36   
Quote:

On 2007-03-12 13:17, Enterprise wrote:
I dunno why anyone would want to fly in a fighter.

When one beam means your death.

-Ent

We'd have to implement 'dodge' and 'don't die' functions on the fighters, I guess. :/

Email Light-of-Aurora
Eledore Massis [R33]
Grand Admiral
Templar Knights

Posted: 2007-04-14 07:05   
Don't forget fighters fly in 3D
How would you gona do that whitout re-aranging current controls.

it sounds nice but i don't think this would work.

Binks
1st Rear Admiral

Posted: 2007-04-21 11:18   
Quote:

We'd have to implement 'dodge' and 'don't die' functions on the fighters, I guess. :/

Oh! Can I get a don't die function on my scouts? Or better yet all of my ships?

I've found, from other gaming experience, that plans like these where a bunch of players work together by being smaller parts of a single player's ship don't tend to work very well. There's way too much possibility that one of the fighters will disagree with the ship captain and then you have all sorts of problems. And what happens when the ship wants to launch a second wave of fighters? Can they?

Really it's more trouble than it's worth, a very small number of people would be interesting in playing this and it would (likely) take a very long time to program/balance.

Of course that's just my opinion, I've played games where one player is supposed to be dependent on another and visa versa and I've only seen 1 get it right, puzzle pirates. All other games like that tend to either get bogged down with the number of rules or griefing is encountered and people stop using the system.

If DS was all about everyone working together to fly a ship this would work fine. However DS isn't that and I highly doubt it ever will be anything but everyone flying their own ship. When you can fly a Scout/Frigate on your own and not be dependant on a carrier why would you choose to make yourself dependant?

Powered by Stormtroopers and Red Shirts

Light-of-Aurora
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2007-04-25 10:43   
Quote:

On 2007-04-21 11:18, Binks wrote:
Quote:

No, 'cause 1 beam doesn't mean your death on all your other ships.

Carry on!

Email Light-of-Aurora
BackSlash
Marshal
Galactic Navy

Posted: 2007-04-26 11:02   
Quote:

On 2007-04-25 10:43, [AÐ]Light-of-Aurora wrote:
Quote:

On 2007-04-21 11:18, Binks wrote:
Quote:

No, 'cause 1 beam doesn't mean your death on all your other ships.

Carry on!

But it does for fighters.

Ospolos
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2007-04-26 12:03   
Actually on the idea of fighters, instead of flying one by a player which is probally to much to make it happen. How about this, which is still alot to implement, but not as bad :

**Warning not completely organized...**

* You can set waypoints/paths for the fighters
ex. ships on other side of planet moving out attacking ships on that side, but you know the planet would eat them, so you set a path to go around it

Note: Setting paths would be an interface in F2 (Navigation)

Note: max # of paths depends on your fighter capacities, each capacity would probally need to be chopped down to say, 3 per bay. For example, if I shot all 3 waves of my fighters already (say with a agincourt) thats 24 fighters. Each fighter holds its own path information, so max # of paths in this case would be 24, that is if you launched one fighter at a time with a different path... Most likely you will launch the whole wave, so say 3 paths total. If a fighter dies you can then send out another one, the max will always be 24 in this case, regardless of supply reloads. Also, once the target is dead or not in sight anymore, the fighter does not return, it remains in combat attacking the nearest ship until it dies or runs out of its "lifespan timer", unless returned by the ship so it can choose another location, path, command, and target.

Note: Offtopic again, but maybe remove the return of fighters when they are out of sight, and just run them off a lifespan timer. Or a max distance they can travel before destroying themselves, say, 20k gu. (this includes flying around a target when it is attacking, this includes when its flying anywhere period. Except on hold. If using the hold command it has the same timer as a mine, but also follows the max gu ammount, so if the fighters do survive an attack on hold command, they return the hold position.)

* like infantry, have commands for the fighters:

Note: Setting commands would be an interface in F2 (Navigation). Default is none, and requires no path. After setting a path and command other than "None" then as soon as the user clicks on the fighter bay to launch, or press N, the fighters involved in the launch will recieve the commands and paths.

[None]: - attacks by pressing N like it does now
[Attack]: - using a path, follow that path and attack the targeted ship
[Attack To]: - using a path, follow that path and attack the first closest target along the path in sight range, if it survives, continue to target location destination to find the closest in sight target from there.
[Patrol]: - using a path, act like "Attack To" but if no target was aquired then continue to act like "Attack To" following the path back and forth until its lifespan timer is up, or its max distance to travel is.
[Hold]: - using a path, hold at the end of path position. Attack closest ship in sight range, return to position after no targets in sight.

Again, since this has mixed ideas in random spots, all fighters no matter what command or path follow the rules:

-Max Distance to travel (20kgu)
-Max lifespan timer (mine time, so i don't know 10-20-30mins)
-Max Capacity and Fighters allowed out at a time (Bay Capacity)
-Bay Capacity is not affected by supply drones, so you cant spew out more fighters then your ship can initially hold, so the supply drones just refill your fighter supplies to create new fighters if one dies from your capacity (Your ship can only command a certain ammount of fighters at a time you know , although we know the real reason behind this is not that, it is simply to not overload the server with fighters...)
-When a target is dead or lost the fighter attacks the closest target in sight (except hold and patrol commands, the fighters on hold return the the hold point, and patrol will continue to patrol its path)
-Setting the "None" command acts like fighters do now
-Commands and paths are set in F2 (Navigation interface), and are not reset per fighter wave, if you want to change the commands and paths for the next fighters you launch, you have to change the path and command.

Quick Image Example:
[ http://www.lostshards.com/i473/fc.jpg ] 1440x900

EDIT: draw path button is a toggle button, you draw points, and they connect. To remove the path press None (should then probally be remaned Reset.. then the command will automatically be "None", oh well)

[ This Message was edited by: Ospolos on 2007-04-26 12:07 ]

BackSlash
Marshal
Galactic Navy

Posted: 2007-04-26 21:24   
Something like this was on the drawing board a while back Osp, and was meant to be introduced with the command UI too.

Ospolos
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2007-04-26 21:47   
oh, sweet..

Sixkiller
Marshal
Courageous Elite Commandos

Posted: 2007-04-28 03:09   
just 1 thing, a lifetime span AND a max distance is a bit useless, unless you mean it cant get further then xk gu away from you, because lifetime*speed=max distance..

Ospolos
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2007-04-28 09:45   
Quote:

On 2007-04-28 03:09, Sixkiller*P5* wrote:
just 1 thing, a lifetime span AND a max distance is a bit useless, unless you mean it cant get further then xk gu away from you, because lifetime*speed=max distance..

Yea, 20k gu would be alot though, so maybe 10-15k, with about 10-15 minutes lifetime. This is because the bays are reduced in total fighter ammounts so we could increase their moving range, which helps make the suggested commands actually usefull. Also, since there will be commands, fighters wont just fly in a straight line endlessly untill it "auto returns to base", which is annoying if your concentrating on something else and your fighters are peaking at the 4.9k gu mark...

Page created in 0.027827 seconds.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024 Palestar Inc. All rights reserved worldwide.
Terms of use - DarkSpace is a Registered Trademark of PALESTAR