No kills today... yet.

Upcoming Events

- Weekly DarkSpace
05/04/24 Now

Search

Anniversaries

1st - Alamode

Social Media

Why not join us on Discord for a chat, or follow us on Twitter or Facebook for more information and fan updates?

Network

DarkSpace
DarkSpace - Beta
Palestar

[FAQ
Forum Index » » Soap Box » » A little bit of acoustic guitar
 Author A little bit of acoustic guitar
.spaivxx.
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2007-02-20 12:21   

Getting ready to do a whole CD of crap that sounds like this. This particular clip is just testing the guitar and Sonar 6 to see if the sounds are suitable. I am going to have to buy a nylon string guitar for the CD though. Anyhow, if you like some acoustic guitar music, check out this little teaser clip... It captures the mood of the CD that I am writing now.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/songInfo.cfm?bandID=450859&songID=4995342

Lark of Serenity
Grand Admiral
Raven Warriors

Posted: 2007-02-20 18:37   
0.o i like!

PS: my brother is looking to record some music, any tips? (he has a full band but also wants to record just acoustic guitars)

.spaivxx.
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2007-02-21 01:33   
Thanx for listening Lark. it is really hard to say what advice i might offer. There are so many options based on budget, time and desired results. For instance, the recording shared here is simply a scratch recording. I have been hearing a lot of flamenco inspired guitar stuff in my head lately so I figured it's time to make a CD. So, first I borrowed the electric/acoustic from the studio I work at, plugged it into a Firewire interface feeding a PC loaded with Sonar 6 (my current recording software).

The tones I got were not exactly the best for the mood i wish to create, but since at this stage of the CD i am in the writing process, the tones do not matter so much, i just wanted something listenable.

His best option would be to go to a studio, but of course that can be costly. If he has a PC or Mac, he can get a decent Firewire audio interface for around $300 or so. You can spend thousands of dollars on gear, but it is not always necessary. I used a Presonus Firebox, which is a $300 interface with 2 built in mic preamps and 2 line level inputs, as well as sp/dif digital in and out. For $300, i is a hell of a little machine. He can get the recording software anywhere. Not that I condone such a thing, but every bit of audio recording/processing software ever made hits the torrent sites within days of its release.

For recording an acoustic guitar, a decent condenser mic would be best, Senhieser makes some pretty good ones in the $160 range made specifically for guitar. Mics are also gear that can be crazy expensive if you want top end quality, and you do NOT want your mic to be the weak link in your signal chain.However, there are a lot of acoustic/electric guitars out there, maybe your brothers acoustic has a pickup or even mini condenser mic in it, then he can just skip micing and plug straight into a mixer or audio interface.

A well mic'd acoustic in an acoustically treated room will sound much better than an electric acoustic plugged directly into the mixer, but, often times the direct plugged guitar is the easiest way to go. i am sure if he plays and is looking to record he has already considered which way would work best in this regard.

One thing, when recording digitally, it is important not to clip the signal. With analog gear you can push a hotter signal and it "warms up" the tone. With digital gear, hotter signal just means distortion, of the nasty digital kind. He needs to get as hot a signal he can without clipping. All software for recording will feature some kind of meters which can be used to monitor levels.

I could go on and on, and actually I already have I guess. If he begins recording and has any issues arise during the process, feel free to shoot me an email at: shawnabrams@hotmail.com and I would be glad to answer specific questions or help solve specific recording issues.

Again, thanx for listening to my music. I have been meaning to start some DS inspired ambient synth trippy music but never can find the time........ If the game does not die, I will likely get something written that yall can put in your combat music folders very soon.

Page created in 0.008073 seconds.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024 Palestar Inc. All rights reserved worldwide.
Terms of use - DarkSpace is a Registered Trademark of PALESTAR