No kills today... yet.

Upcoming Events

- Weekly DarkSpace
05/04/24 Now

Search

Anniversaries

1st - Alamode

Social Media

Why not join us on Discord for a chat, or follow us on Twitter or Facebook for more information and fan updates?

Network

DarkSpace
DarkSpace - Beta
Palestar

[FAQ
Forum Index » » Soap Box » » Oh Noes, Earth is dying!
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
 Author Oh Noes, Earth is dying!
Peter Wiggin
Midshipman

Posted: 2007-02-12 01:14   
Quote:

Tidal effects result in an increase of the mean Earth-Moon distance of about 4 meters per century, or 4 centimetres per year. As a result of the conservation of angular momentum, the increasing semimajor axis of the Moon is accompanied by a gradual slowing of the Earth's rotation by about 0.002 seconds per day per century

In 1 million years, the Earth day will be 19 hours long... What are we going to do?!? I say we destroy the moon....

[ This Message was edited by: Prada on 2007-02-12 01:14 ]

Sardaukar
Admiral
Raven Warriors

Posted: 2007-02-12 01:16   
Meh. Isn't there a 95% chance/probability that humanity as we know it will be extinct in roughly 9170 years, or something similar? That doomish equation.

Leonide
Grand Admiral
Templar Knights

Posted: 2007-02-12 01:24   
i love it on how people focus on doomsday stuff....if it is out of my lifespan..i don't care!!

captain of the ICC Assault Cruiser C.S.S. Sledgehammer

Email Leonide
-RevenG-

Raven Warriors

Posted: 2007-02-12 01:31   
I highly doubt earth will be standing 2000 years from now, eitherway, who careS? I'll be gone. NHow, think of nukes, and enjoy my parting comment.

Wait for the bang man, and we sure love those bangs, to bad it's only 20 seconds away.

Sardaukar
Admiral
Raven Warriors

Posted: 2007-02-12 01:35   
I dunno about you, but I plan on inventing a jar to keep my brain and sensory functions working indefinitely before I die.

Peter Wiggin
Midshipman

Posted: 2007-02-12 03:03   
Quote:

On 2007-02-12 01:31, -RevenG- wrote:
I highly doubt earth will be standing 2000 years from now, eitherway, who careS? I'll be gone. NHow, think of nukes, and enjoy my parting comment.

Wait for the bang man, and we sure love those bangs, to bad it's only 20 seconds away.

In 1 million years, the Earth day.....

Since when does 1,000,000 = 2000?

Anyways, the earth will still be here, humans wont(hopefully)

[2006] - Codex09
Admiral

Posted: 2007-02-12 04:07   

Hmm you idea of destrpying the moon is interesting to say the very least, BUT you forget that the moon has an influence on the tides on earth and very possibly the weather. So what happens if we destroy it and things start going crazy?

I suppose we could be the cause of our own extinction and then we wouldn't have to worry about the earth dying as you put it.

Peter Wiggin
Midshipman

Posted: 2007-02-12 04:17   
Quote:

On 2007-02-12 04:07, Codex-127729 {Just PLAY The Game} wrote:

Hmm you idea of destrpying the moon is interesting to say the very least, BUT you forget that the moon has an influence on the tides on earth and very possibly the weather. So what happens if we destroy it and things start going crazy?

I suppose we could be the cause of our own extinction and then we wouldn't have to worry about the earth dying as you put it.

Well, why not expedite our extinction? better than irradiating the whole planet

Anyways, I think I will build a death ray and destroy the moon

Kanman
Grand Admiral
Pitch Black

Posted: 2007-02-12 09:08   
Actually, The earth started with a 10 hour day and it is slowly becoming longer over time. So, in the future the Earth day will become longer, not shorter.

doda *EP5 no longer exception...*
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2007-02-12 13:21   
I would think the earth would slow down in rotation rather than speed up.....

But hey thats probably just me. Btw anything thing after I die, I dont care cause im dead anyways

-Smokey-
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2007-02-12 14:08   
inhabit the moon with flesh eating canines in space suits and breed them to create a super moon breed of dog called the moonlanding terrier !!!!!!!!!!!

[ This Message was edited by: Smokey{Master of the Lard} on 2007-02-12 14:11 ]

Veronw
Marshal

Posted: 2007-02-12 14:27   
oh goodie an astronomy post!

ok first problem-
#1 if you destroy the moon you will:
-Destabalize the earths orbit since the moon and the sun both have equal effects on the earths rotation on its axis and around the sun
-Cause the earth to spin in a variety of different ways thus causing humanity and 90% of the species on the planet to become extinct
-it would remove our comfortable weather system we have grown accustome to aka snow storms the size of Russia, deserts covering half the planet, ect..

Problem #2
YOU NEED TO CARE ABOUT WHAT HAPPENS!!!!!!!!!
- First off, if you just dont care about what happens after you die, then your children, and their children will be the ones to suffer your consequences, and if u still dont care what happens to them, please, do me a favor and jump of a cliff so humanity can get a +1 on the morality scale.
- Second, what we do now will affect how humans as a species progress, if we continue being apathetic towards the future, then humans will degrade and regress both in their minds and in their physical features.

and in all honesty, im not very fond of people who dont care about what happens to the next generation, and therefore pollute the atmoshpere, dump trash, melt the icecaps, and blow up the ozone

Leonide
Grand Admiral
Templar Knights

Posted: 2007-02-12 14:42   
oh i care about having a clean earth and all that, it's just i don't care about doomsday stuff that is gonna happen 100 - 500 - 1000 years in the future... my KIDS will be dead by that time....

captain of the ICC Assault Cruiser C.S.S. Sledgehammer

Email Leonide
Peter Wiggin
Midshipman

Posted: 2007-02-12 14:43   
Quote:

On 2007-02-12 14:27, Veronw*FC* wrote:
oh goodie an astronomy post!

ok first problem-
#1 if you destroy the moon you will:
-Destabalize the earths orbit since the moon and the sun both have equal effects on the earths rotation on its axis and around the sun
-Cause the earth to spin in a variety of different ways thus causing humanity and 90% of the species on the planet to become extinct
-it would remove our comfortable weather system we have grown accustome to aka snow storms the size of Russia, deserts covering half the planet, ect..

Problem #2
YOU NEED TO CARE ABOUT WHAT HAPPENS!!!!!!!!!
- First off, if you just dont care about what happens after you die, then your children, and their children will be the ones to suffer your consequences, and if u still dont care what happens to them, please, do me a favor and jump of a cliff so humanity can get a +1 on the morality scale.
- Second, what we do now will affect how humans as a species progress, if we continue being apathetic towards the future, then humans will degrade and regress both in their minds and in their physical features.

and in all honesty, im not very fond of people who dont care about what happens to the next generation, and therefore pollute the atmoshpere, dump trash, melt the icecaps, and blow up the ozone

First, it was a joke and anyways, (to the other posts) if you find somewhere that it says the earth day is getting longer, let me see it

and as for the whole part about caring about humanity... we destroyed ourselves already lol. The moment we lose our precious technology, the "elements" will destroy 99% of us.

As for destroying the moon, even if it were possible, we all know what would happen if we did destroy it.. mass destruction lol(worse than dropping nukes in every country, cuz at least the radiation will dissipate) and I personally only wish to see humanity pay for its mistakes(unless they decide to come about and as a whole start taking care of the planet we exploit)... we should never get into space.. we would be like a horrid virus..

Peter Wiggin
Midshipman

Posted: 2007-02-12 14:44   
Quote:

On 2007-02-12 14:42, leonide*FM* wrote:
oh i care about having a clean earth and all that, it's just i don't care about doomsday stuff that is gonna happen 100 - 500 - 1000 years in the future... my KIDS will be dead by that time....

what about your granchildren, great grandchildren?

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
Page created in 0.020197 seconds.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024 Palestar Inc. All rights reserved worldwide.
Terms of use - DarkSpace is a Registered Trademark of PALESTAR