No kills today... yet.

Upcoming Events

- Weekly DarkSpace
05/04/24 Now

Search

Anniversaries

1st - Alamode

Social Media

Why not join us on Discord for a chat, or follow us on Twitter or Facebook for more information and fan updates?

Network

DarkSpace
DarkSpace - Beta
Palestar

[FAQ
Forum Index » » Soap Box » » I require two script types.
 Author I require two script types.
Abandoned Ships[AS]
Cadet

Posted: 2007-02-09 16:25   
Could somebody tell me how to script so that my computer safely copies whatever is on the unformmatted disc because I have some really important data on it and could be detrimental to business if it gets erased and a few scripts that may help with some faulty links with some minor adjustments so that they can work on a subconscience-like level until it can be renewed.

Also could somebody tell me how to compress files using scripts or something. For some reason all of the system, local service, network service and other related things are taking up at least 5X more memory usage. It's possible that a script has lost a few electrons or something it's pretty crazy.

I don't really care to much for more scripts that can be worked on to make changes to anything related to darkspace and other games I just need a sript to recover the data and to compress the over-sized systematic proccesses which keep eating up memory space.

My boss said that I had to get these files to him sometime within a couple of months; he's very patient. Anymore time than 2 months and I lose my job.

If it means anything to get those files back then you'll help me save 3-months time of scripting and stuff from Marty. He doesn't like to do things again just over a little insignificant; an theOUTRAGEOUSLY RETARDED floppy disk that are unable to stay formated when it gets an important 3-months work of scripts by Marty.

Course it's always hate the businessman who requires data recovery scripts and such. Marty won't help make a script like that it's either he's lazy(sometimes), the sript is too simple(occassionally), has a virus(not really), he can't remember how to do it(he's lying), there's a few scripting bugs in one of his many flying scripts that just are too normal though(2 week intervals or less).

[small][ This Message was edited by: Yamakaze on 2007-02-09 16:53 ][/small]

[ This Message was edited by: Doran on 2007-02-10 09:47 ]

Smartin
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2007-02-09 18:15   
First things first. I can't script. Secondly, have "Marty" fire his IT guy's because anyone still saving info to a floppy needs to go back to 1st grade.

Good luck.

DarkSpace Community Website

Email Smartin
Abandoned Ships[AS]
Cadet

Posted: 2007-02-09 18:31   
then y did you reply if you didn't know how to script. Second of all not everyone has the money to use discs as a portable storage place let alone having the computer at all. Marty's big brother was a beast at making the files so freakishly cramped that he had at least .9 terabytes worth of space left out of the millions of megabytes that would be used by previousfiles cha ching made a floppy disc carry at least 2.0942 megabytes worth of compression I'd like to see anybody top THAT GUY whose name I might tell you later on also hes busy doing other things. Besides I have the very same floppy disc it doesn't seem to notice the compression ratio in that thing god there's some stuff to that.

Supertrooper
Marshal
Pitch Black

Posted: 2007-02-09 21:06   
You mean.. he compressed files? Dood! I can do it too!

Email Supertrooper
Smartin
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2007-02-09 21:08   
Quote:

On 2007-02-09 18:31, Yamakaze wrote:
then y did you reply if you didn't know how to script.

Mainly b/c it was at the top of the list.

DarkSpace Community Website

Email Smartin
Binks
1st Rear Admiral

Posted: 2007-02-10 09:35   
Quote:

On 2007-02-09 16:25, Yamakaze wrote:
Could somebody tell me how to script so that my computer safely copies whatever is on the unformatted disc because I have some really important data on it and could be detrimental to business if it gets erased and a few scripts that may help with some faulty links with some minor adjustments so that they can work on a sub conscience-like level until it can be renewed.

As far as I know there is no script that can do that, Unformatted floppies are something I've never heard of a solution for. I'd recommend finding a local data doctors and asking them about it.

Quote:

Also could somebody tell me how to compress files using scripts or something. For some reason all of the system, local service, network service and other related things are taking up at least 5X more memory usage. It's possible that a script has lost a few electrons or something it's pretty crazy.

Lost a few electrons? I honestly hope you're kidding. Have you tried zipping the files, you can download a free zip utility from downloads.com (I recommend ultimatezip). If you want even more compression and don't mind having a format not used by the majority (aka you're not going to pass the files around without decompressing the). You could try WindowsRAR (google it).

As for scripts, I'm sure there are some very complex ones out there, zip and rar are scripts themself. Writing them would take a long time and is far beyond my scripting ability.

Quote:

I don't really care to much for more scripts that can be worked on to make changes to anything related to darkspace and other games I just need a script to recover the data and to compress the over-sized systematic processes which keep eating up memory space.

You can't compress processes that are currently open as far as I know...

Quote:

If it means anything to get those files back then you'll help me save 3-months time of scripting and stuff from Marty. He doesn't like to do things again just over a little insignificant; an the OUTRAGEOUSLY RETARDED floppy disk that are unable to stay formated when it gets an important 3-months work of scripts by Marty.

Whoever Marty is he's not up to date on computer use. Floppy's are obsolete for two reasons, 1 CD's are dirt cheap, you can easily get 50+ for under $10, 2 floppies are know for encounter errors related to, get this, unformatted disks. You're going through the problem that has led companies to abandon support for the floppy right now.

Here's what I'd do in your situation, a comprehensive list.

1. Take the floppy to data doctors and ask them if they can recover stuff off a disk that lost it's format. Chances are they've done it before and can do it in a couple hours.
2. If they can't, then wait for someone else to respond and hope they know more about the problem than me. I haven't touched a floppy disk in years...
3. Tell Marty to start using CD-R/CD-RWs. CD-Rs are <20 cents per CD, don't have problems with formatting, and can hold much, much more data (though you seem to imply you don't need more space remember the technician's corollary “No matter how big the data storage medium, it will soon be filled.”)
4. Try zipping or raring the files on your system that are simple storage. Scan your computer for a virus/spyware. Go into task manager (I assume you know how but for reference control-alt-delete) and the processes tab. Click the mem. usage button to see what programs are hogging your resources.

and finally 5. If you still need more resources post the system specs. Based on the floppy use I'd wager they're low-end specs in at least 1 area.

Good luck, sorry I couldn't be of more help but I'm just now in my first year of programming courses so I don't know many ultra-advanced tricks.