Upcoming Events

- Weekly DarkSpace
05/04/24 +2.2 Days

Search

Anniversaries

20th - Relient
19th - Entil-Zha the Starkiller

Social Media

Why not join us on Discord for a chat, or follow us on Twitter or Facebook for more information and fan updates?

Network

DarkSpace
DarkSpace - Beta
Palestar

[FAQ
Forum Index » » Soap Box » » My First Computer Build
 Author My First Computer Build
Smith
Fleet Admiral

Posted: 2007-01-25 08:26   
Just like it says in the subject im gonna try and build my first pc.. its funny ive had computers for a long time,if i remember correctly since like aol 2.0, but i've never attemted to build one. Upgraded plenty of em but never built one. I was just gonna buy another prebuilt one but ive been doing some research and i believe i can pull this off and come out of it with a sweet rig that wont reall need to be updated for years to come, besides maybe adding some ram and some minor stuff down the road. I'm mainly building because of these 2 guides here.

Guide 1

Guide 2

This will be my gaming rig lemme know what you think

Motherboard

pretty cheap and good board supports sli, which i'll be doing

My Processor

this is the heart and wh im building this rig. it can be overclocked to 4.1 Ghz!!! staggering huh...

Memory

nothing over the top here but will add more in the near future.

My HD

gonna add this along with another 80gig i have right now.

Cpu cooing system

this is what will cool that beast of a processor.

Power Supply

Good old psu should power everything fine.

Video card

And 2 of these bad boys in sli mode.

also a memorex dvd burned with lightscribe for about 40 bucks. lemme know what you think.comments are welcome. i think its gonna pwn

[ This Message was edited by: Smith on 2007-01-25 08:27 ]

[small][ This Message was edited by: Smith on 2007-01-25 08:28 ][/small]

[ This Message was edited by: Smith on 2007-01-25 08:37 ]

BackSlash
Marshal
Galactic Navy

Posted: 2007-01-25 08:41   
Pentium D's are notoriously rubbish. If you're not going Core Duo, go AMD X2, they're far, far, far superior (in everyway - there's no ties or anything).

Just incase you don't believe me - http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/cpu/charts.html?modelx=33&model1=449&model2=468&chart=170 - and no, overclocking it won't make it super-cool™ and uber-fast. The AM2 X2 4400+ has an onchip memory management, and is far superior in managing memory, and you will need that with DDR2, as it's yet to catch up to DDR1 speeds.

Also, with DDR2, you need the lowest timings you can find, with the highest speed. If you're not going to bother shelling out the money for it, stick to DDR1, as you'll see far quicker performance from the timings (3TCAS @ 200mhz is not as fast as 2TCAS @ 166mhz to give you an idea of how important timings are, and they are expensive). Try and get 2x 1GB sticks, or if you get 1GB, go for 2x 512MB, as then your processor can abuse dual channel.

Also, even if you do get that setup, your rig is going to be limited by how much your SLI can pump out, as 2x 7600GT's aren't going to be able to push as much as 1x 7950GX2. You'd be far more wise to save up for one high-end card than two mid range, as you'll come across serious bottlenecks with SLI (as it's rubbish). Do yourself a favour, buy one 7900/7950, or a 8800GT if you can push yourself, or if you want to try ATI - X1950XT (far cheaper and does the job just as well as the Nvidia counterpart and has GDDR4 memory, unlike any Nvidia cards as they have none).

http://tomshardware.co.uk/2007/01/05/the_best_gaming_video_cards_for_the_money_uk/page3.html

X1900GT is the clear winner, if you can spend a little more - get a 7900GS / 1950XT.

Oh, dear LORD man, do not touch IDE with any fibre of your being. If you're shelling out for a new system, atleast go SATA2, and get up to 2x the performance. Don't even bother using your IDE drive anymore. SATA2 drives cost a fraction more, and perform far better. Chuck your old one, or use it as a backup drive, and use the SATA2 as your primairy. For even better performance, go for a 200GB SATA2, and try and get a small 50GB SATA2 drive just for Windows - you can then keep Windows and the paging file on the first disk, and all your games on the second - that way Windows can pull DX calls and such from the graphics card and do all the work from the primairy disk without taking away from the transfer speed of the current game running, as it's on the other disk.

[ This Message was edited by: BackSlash *Jack* on 2007-01-25 08:52 ]

icansee
Cadet

Posted: 2007-01-25 10:27   
jack = comp genius thats all

Glimmer
Fleet Admiral

Posted: 2007-01-25 10:32   
Why not 2 western Digital Raptors 10000rpm 16mb cache in striped raid ?

Email Glimmer   Goto the website of Glimmer
BackSlash
Marshal
Galactic Navy

Posted: 2007-01-25 11:46   
Quote:

On 2007-01-25 10:32, Glimmer wrote:
Why not 2 western Digital Raptors 10000rpm 16mb cache in striped raid ?

Money. They cost a lot, and two disks on raid isn't better than two disks - Windows on one, and games on the other. If you have four, and raid two so you get two raided drives, then sure - but otherwise, you get better performance from two minus raid.

Page created in 0.015413 seconds.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024 Palestar Inc. All rights reserved worldwide.
Terms of use - DarkSpace is a Registered Trademark of PALESTAR